Air compresser packed up? HELP

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

gijive

Airman 1st Class
HI there

Went to use my AS18-2 compresser today after having it stored under a bench, unplugged. Last time used about 8 months ago, anyway it fired up a little pressure, which when I pressed the toggle on the air bush was used up in 15 seconds and then no more, just an electic 'im switched on' type noise and getting warm to touch. No air.

Anyone come across this before? It was new last Christmas so a year old.

The main body of the compressor, the half with the motor in it.

I see now. Undoubtedly the problem is with the motor rotation..Because your compressor is oil-less as memo serves, it might be that the piston or something what compresses the air has seized itself. Due to water for instance.It is possible the electric motor got a short-circuit in its coils as well. Does it generate any sound? If the compressor warranty is valid try to take it to the service.If not, check the switch on/off firstly.ALso it might be problem with getting air for compressing.Check all holes for that.

Last edited:
I think Wojtek has covered it all there. As it's been standing unused for some time, it might just be that the piston has stuck, and the overheating is the motor working overtime getting nowhere. Try giving it a gentle tap, or lightly 'bang' it on the table - often works wonders! If it still doesn't perform then it's get it back for repair/replacement under Guarantee and/or Warranty. It doesn't matter what excuse might (possibly) be thrown at you for not honouring any warranty etc - in the UK, probably under the Sale of Goods Act or similar, the equipment has to be 'Fit for purpose', and this, in general, covers the first 12 months of life after purchase.

Take the blue side plate off and see if the crankshaft can be turned by hand. If it turns freely (aside from compression resistance) then it isn't the compressor workings or motor bearings. You should be able to turn it by hand. Those things don't have that much resistance. If it won't rotate and looks clean inside (no corrosion debris/flaking metal particles), pop off the cylinder head and see if the output port is clogged. That would create a back pressure the motor (1/5th HP) can't overcome. While you're there, if the piston/cylinder look clean, and the piston is above the bottom of it's stroke, try to push it down. If it moves freely, all the mechanical stuff is fine. Get a meter and trouble shoot the electrical stuff. Did it come with a manual?

Edit: I've discovered many such problems are due to insects, especially wasps and spiders, building nests in any handy little hole.

http://www.simple2trade.searchwinner.co.uk/pdf/CPS1002.pdf

Last edited:
Shouldn't be 'duff' after only a yar or so, and not that much use, although it can happen. Might be a 'dry' connection or similar. Try thumping it again(!), as it might have freed, then stuck eleswhere. If this fails, get it back under warranty/guarantee. Alsao check any fuse in the unit itself or the plug - it might have suddenly blown when the unit tried to work.

I'm sorry to hear that it might have been duff. However , have you checked the main switch on/off? There might be a condenser with kind of a repeater somewhere around.It is a kind of help with the electric motor start.ALso it is a way to reduce the power waving. It's damage can be the reason of that.

Possible. Nobody likes getting back to work after a year off. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back