Air Force Salute (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ccheese

Member In Perpetuity
Jul 10, 2007
Virginia Beach, Va.
Luke AFB is west of Phoenix and is rapidly being surrounded by civilization
that complains about the noise from the base and its planes, forgetting that
it was there long before they were.

A certain lieutenant colonel at Luke AFB deserves a big pat on the back.
Apparently, an individual who lives somewhere near Luke AFB wrote the local
paper complaining about a group of F-16s that disturbed his/her day at the
mall. When that individual read the response from a Luke AFB officer, it
must have stung quite a bit.

The complaint::
"Question of the day for Luke Air Force Base: Whom do we thank for the
morning air show? Last Wednesday, at precisely 9:11 a.m., a tight
formation of four F-16 jets made a low pass over Arrowhead Mall, continuing
west over Bell Road at approximately 500 feet. Imagine our good fortune!
Do the Tom Cruise-wannabes feel we need this wake-up call, or were they
trying to impress the cashiers at Mervyns early bird special? Any response
would be appreciated."

The response:
Regarding "A wake-up call from Luke's jets": On June 15, at precisely 9:12
a.m., a perfectly timed four-ship flyby of F-16s from the 63rd Fighter
Squadron at Luke Air Force Base flew over the grave of Capt. Jeremy
Fresques.
Capt. Fresques was an Air Force officer who was previously stationed at Luke
Air Force Base and was killed in Iraq on May 30, Memorial Day. At 9 a.m. on
June 15, his family and friends gathered at Sunland Memorial Park in Sun
City to mourn the loss of a husband, son and friend.
Based on the letter writer's recount of the flyby, and because of the jet
noise, I'm sure you didn't hear the 21-gun salute, the playing of taps, or
my words to the widow and parents of Capt. Fresques as I gave them their
son's flag on behalf of the President of the United States and all those
veterans and servicemen and women who understand the sacrifices they have
endured. A four-ship flyby is a display of respect the Air Force pays to
those who give their lives in defense of freedom. We are professional
aviators and take our jobs seriously, and on June 15 what the letter writer
witnessed was four officers lining up to pay their ultimate respects. The
letter writer asks, "Whom do we thank for the morning air show"? The 56th
Fighter Wing will call for you, and forward your thanks to the widow and
parents of Capt. Fresques, and thank them for you, for it was in their honor
that my pilots flew the most honorable formation of their lives.

Lt. Col. Scott Pleus
CO 63rd Fighter Squadron
Luke AFB

From the Virginian Pilot

Charles

yeah - I had heard that. That happens all the time. Folks buy homes nearby military installations and then complain incessantly about the noise. We have several avoid areas while we're flying in the local area to keep up public relations.

yeah - I had heard that. That happens all the time. Folks buy homes nearby military installations and then complain incessantly about the noise. We have several avoid areas while we're flying in the local area to keep up public relations.

mk this is one of those situations that just tick me off to no end. These dumbass liberal scum sucking bottom feeding civilians should be dragged out of their houses and keel hauled!!!!!!!!! Whwn I first got to Va. Beach back in the mid '70's the area around NAS Oceana was pretty open country but by 1985 the "development" fever had hit the VAB city officials real hard and the housing development was right up to the fences. Unbelievable! And as soon as they moved in the bitching started. Makes me want to puke!!!! Hey Charles, what's VAB look like now? Do they still have the "Green Line" down near the courthouse?

Yeap I read this a while back as well. Stupid civilian pricks!

not entirely, this was his response letter:

Regarding "Flyby honoring fallen comrade" (Letters, June 28):

I read with increasing embarrassment and humility the response to my unfortunate letter to The Republic concerning an Air Force flyby ("A wake-up call from Luke's jets," Letters, June 23).

I had no idea of the significance of the flyby, and would never have insulted such a fine and respectful display had I known.

I have received many calls from the fine airmen who are serving or have served at Luke, and I have attempted to explain my side and apologized for any discomfort my letter has caused.

This was simply an uninformed citizen complaining about noise.

I have been made aware in both written and verbal communications of the four-ship flyby, and my heart goes out to each and every lost serviceman and woman in this war in which we are engaged.

I have been called un-American by an unknown caller and I feel that I must address that. I served in the U.S. Navy and am a Vietnam veteran. I love my country and respect the jobs that the service organizations are doing.

Please accept my heartfelt apologies.

Tom MacRae, Peoria

Wow, he got burned!

I think if you move into the area of an existing base, then you have to put up with the noise... But if someone is 'buzzing' your house for no good reason, then you may have some cause to complain...

DougRD:

The area around NAS Oceana is worse than you amagine. The city council is
in the pockets of the developers. A group of citizens recently sued the Navy and they actually collected about $5,500.00 each for their "discomfort". You
know we almost lost Oceana due to the BRAC Commission, and I don't really
think we're off the hook yet. They wanted to move the F/A-18's to Jax, FL,
which would have required re-opening Cecil Field. The good citizens of Jax
said NO. However, now Cherry Point, NC wants the F/A-18's. We just had
a change of command at Oceana..... I hope this Capt. is as much on the
ball as the last one was. Guess we'll see...

Charles

Regarding "Flyby honoring fallen comrade" (Letters, June 2:

I read with increasing embarrassment and humility the response to my unfortunate letter to The Republic concerning an Air Force flyby ("A wake-up call from Luke's jets," Letters, June 23 ).

I had no idea of the significance of the flyby, and would never have insulted such a fine and respectful display had I known.

I have received many calls from the fine airmen who are serving or have served at Luke, and I have attempted to explain my side and apologized for any discomfort my letter has caused.

This was simply an uninformed citizen complaining about noise.

I have been made aware in both written and verbal communications of the four-ship flyby, and my heart goes out to each and every lost serviceman and woman in this war in which we are engaged.

I have been called un-American by an unknown caller and I feel that I must address that. I served in the U.S. Navy and am a Vietnam veteran. I love my country and respect the jobs that the service organizations are doing.

Please accept my heartfelt apologies.

Tom MacRae, Peoria

Seems sincere but being a vet he should of known better. Now that he pulled his head out of his @ss, I hope his brain is getting the required oxygen it needs so he doesn't make other stupid mistakes like this.....

I actually live on Bell Road and right next to the Mall they mention in the first story, and work on the base, so I have a little more room to comment than most I suppose. The base is over 10 miles from the mall, and with the flying patterns they usually stay pretty far away... but when they go to full mil or afterburner nearby it's noticable. Also there are almost constantly jets in the air, with some squadrons doing night flying.

I don't think it's noticeable enough to complain, you might hear one or two flights a day, and not loud enough to rattle the windows or anything. We do make some low passes, but for community events like Nascar races, football/sports events at the Cardinal's stadium, and we did a bunch of flybys on the 4th of July. I think some people just have nothing better to do than bitch.

I think some people just have nothing better to do than bitch.

Hit the nail on the head. There was a time people told them to shut up. Not with the coming of the "Me" generation.

Baby Boomers, sniveling little turds.

Hit the nail on the head. There was a time people told them to shut up. Not with the coming of the "Me" generation.

Baby Boomers, sniveling little turds.
Hehehehehe.......

We had a few numbnuts once go in front of the Palmdale city council a few years ago complaining about noise from Air force Plant 42, birthplace of the B-1, B-2, Shuttle, F-5, etc., to name a few. Most of these people moved to the Antelope Valley during the early 90s housing boom and were stupid enough to move right next door to one of the most active aircraft production and modification facilities in the world. Eventually they were booed and shouted out of the chambers by long time residents (who were second and third generation aerospace workers) who just happened to be attending the meeting for another issue. The whole place was chanting "WE LOVE JET NOISE, WE LOVE JET NOISE."

Seems sincere but being a vet he should of known better. Now that he pulled his head out of his @ss, I hope his brain is getting the required oxygen it needs so he doesn't make other stupid mistakes like this.....

That's the first thing I thought too. Being a Vet he should have been familiar with the ceremonial event. If he really is a vet. Maybe since he got his tail feathers singed now he's sandbagging and saying ease up I'm one of you?

I almost forgot ... When I lived in VAB, I saw a great bumper sticker. It read "Jet Noise--The Sound Of Freedom" Ya gotta luvit!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back