'Air-minded' weapon systems alternatives

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

tomo pauk

Creator of Interesting Threads
Apr 3, 2008
'Air-minded' as, in this case, weapon system that uses aircraft as a platform, or it is to be used against aircraft (ie. includes AA guns & misslies). Take any time frame you want, from before ww1 until 21st century. Plausible and believable wepons & wepon systems get the nod :)

To get the ball rolling - AIM-7 with passive IR guidance for 1960s-1990s.

One of my favourite "systems" in the USSR.
88 PPSh infantry machine guns on Tu-2.
tu2sh_03.jpg

Those Hawks were why I lived in Iran. My dad was a Raytheon employee and contract worker on the ground-based version. I've never seen the air version, good stuff!
That's interesting. In short, The "Air" version was an answer for running low on "Phoenix" missiles.

There is no info about how successful it was, or even that it even see "real" action, however The IRIAF claims at least 3 victories by this new missile during War.

Non related to topic, but there were some good "innovations" during war ... But no news about them or their fate ... Here is another example:

"Taftan I" Mine Cleaning Armoured Vehicle ( Named after the Mt. Taftan in Sistan & Baluchestan province)

754313_121.jpg

That's interesting. In short, The "Air" version was an answer for running low on "Phoenix" missiles.

There is no info about how successful it was, or even that it even see "real" action, however The IRIAF claims at least 3 victories by this new missile during War.

Non related to topic, but there were some good "innovations" during war ... But no news about them or their fate ... Here is another example:

"Taftan I" Mine Cleaning Armoured Vehicle ( Named after the Mt. Taftan in Sistan & Baluchestan province)

View attachment 648953

Percy Hobart is freakin' jealous.

Again on the AAMs - the AA-8 designed with twice the weight of warhead and twice the weight of rocket engine, so it can become a true replacement for the AA-2. Also the guidance system copied from SA-9, so it can tackle the targets head on.

Again on the AAMs - the AA-8 designed with twice the weight of warhead and twice the weight of rocket engine, so it can become a true replacement for the AA-2. Also the guidance system copied from SA-9, so it can tackle the targets head on.
Did you mean the AA-7 "Apex" (R-23)? The AA-8 "Aphid" was a much lighter missile compared to the AA-2 "Atoll". Also, I doubt if the SARH guide AA-7 had the same guidance system as the ground based IR homing SA-9 missile?

Did you mean the AA-7 "Apex" (R-23)? The AA-8 "Aphid" was a much lighter missile compared to the AA-2 "Atoll". Also, I doubt if the SARH guide AA-7 had the same guidance system as the ground based IR homing SA-9 missile?

I mean that AA-8 is a biger missile as-designed from day 1. Or, 70-80 kg missile, ~6 kg warhead, canards in the front end.
SA-9 also included the photo-contrast guidance channel + the IR channel, so it was able to attack targets exposing just the front hemisphere.
Here are the fields of fire for the SA-9 (Strela-1M, or S-1M) for target approaching at 200 m/s and 300 m/s, respectively; note that a fleeting 300 m/s target cannot be attacked by the sistem:

zone sa-9.jpg

Further on the AAM/SAM hybrids:
The IR-guided Sea Sparrow. Perhaps used in 4+4 per the octuple launcher, it allows the defending ship to engage 5 targets almost at once, instead of usually 1 if only 1 fire control radar is used on a ship.
Same guidance on the Crotale/Shahine/ADATS/ - again it allows a far better response to a saturation attack, while being much more capable than the MANPADS. It also means that radar can be sparingly used, wheather-permitting, so the return fire with anti-radiation missiles is less of a problem.
Iraqis were testing the missile from SA-6 with IR guidance system from AA-8 retrofitted, so this is again a possibility.

View attachment 648953
In terms od the Air Launched Hawk, it's an interesting question. I've heard persistent rumors since about 1980. The thing is, it's not implausible. The Hawk seeker, particularly those of the early Hawks, is essentially the same as a CW Sparrow seeker. If you can figure out how to spool it up, separate it from the carrying airplane, and light the motor, it may very well work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back