air scoops under the windshield of a Bf 109G

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ruud

Airman 1st Class
Apr 1, 2010
Hoi,
I'm building a Fine Molds Bf 109G-4. It is the RA 365-1. It is a G-4/R6. The picture clearly shows no air scoop under the left side of the canopy. I do not know what the right side looks like. Should i leave the air scoop on that side or sand it off like the left side?

TIA
Ruud

Are you talking about the air inlets, like shown (to the left of the cockpit, on the cowling) in this photo?

bf109g2-cockpit.jpg

Hoi GG,
Yes those are the ones. FMs has one molded on each side of the cockpit. 365-1 does not have one on the left side, but the right side...?

Bf-109G2-ANR-150Gr365Sqn-white-365-1-Italy-1943-02.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That picture in the link you posted is a difficult one to use for details, since it's "washed out" and doesn't show alot of the features.

The Bf109G-2 through G-6 had the "clamshell" cockpit vents on either side and in the same position (like seen in the photo I posted) relative to the cowling/cockpit windscreen. The G-10 and later models had them repositioned because of cowling changes.

You should have one on each side (port and starboard) and they should be in the position as shown in the photo, which is a Bf109G-2.

Last edited:
I am led to believe that the right starboard side scoop/port was generally used for firing flares from and it was the port side that was for cool airflow, but I reserve the right to be incorrect.

Added when edited 18:00 BST GMT 24/7

I too would say that generally one side or the other was only used in normal or cold climates, and that the 'flare port' if fitted/used was more likely to be used for in defencively used (i.e; German Home Defence) aircraft to try and signal to AAA searchlight units when tele/radio-comms were unreliable or utilised for other more important needs.

Last edited:
My three cents here... the G-2 version didn't have to have these ventilation scoops at both sides of the cockpit area. Please look at the MT-222 of the Finnish AF.. can you see? The port side area looks exactly like the one of the 365-1. I think that the G-4 had these air inlets attached in the same way. I meant at the starboard side only. At both sides these cockpit vents appaered with the G-5 variant as memo serves. Also I would like to remind you that the pressurized Gustavs didn't have these at all.

Bf-109G2-FAF-1.HLeLv34-MT-222-Juutilainen-Finland-1943-01.jpg

Bf-109G2-FAF-1.HLeLv34-MT-222-Juutilainen-Finland-1943-02.jpg

Last edited:
Your post got me thinking Wurger. I went through my 109 books and mostly your theory holds true. Most pictures of G-2s and G-4s i've seen have no clam shell intake on the left side and do have one on the right side. It also looked like the "trop" version had them on the left (thus both?) side(s). Being as the G-4 i'm building is not a trop and most likely does not have one on the left side. Not 100% but i think i'll go with it.

...either great minds think alike, or we have similar reference books ;)

Nope - the glue fumes are neutralised by the intake of 'C Stoff' and 'T Stoff' .......................

Users who are viewing this thread

Back