Aircraft Carrier and Aircraft Limits

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I've been thinking about msxyz's question about why name ships. I had problems trying to think around NOT naming a ship. Perhaps it's ingrained cultural bias. If they were just numbered, wouldn't CV 1 still have been called the "Covered Wagon"? CV 2 might have still been nicknamed "Torpedo Junction" or the "Galloping Ghost of the Pacific Coast". "The Big Six" just lacks the panache of the "Big E".
I believe ships are named because we like to name them. No corroborating documentation.

I think the new tradition is Presidents that served in US Armed Forces. FDR was an exception, but few would argue with naming CV-42 after FDR's death in office in the last months of the War. Lincoln another exception.
Reading the list of RN ship names is interesting, it reflects the politics through the ages, I think "Royal Sovereign" was popular because it didn't declare any affiliation to anything List of ships of the line of the Royal Navy - Wikipedia

I think the new tradition is Presidents that served in US Armed Forces. FDR was an exception, but few would argue with naming CV-42 after FDR's death in office in the last months of the War. Lincoln another exception.
I think President Lincoln might have actually been shot at a couple of times. Mostly by generally being down range of enemy fire and not the specific target.

OK - back to the original question of this thread...

While the class had only been designed for single-engined aircraft, the USN's Essex class CVs actually could have operated twin-engined aircraft as built.

You might think I am referring to the Grumman F7F Tigercat, first test-flown onto and off of CV-38 USS Shangri-La in November 1944 (shortly after her commissioning, the USN used her to test several unusual aircraft for carrier suitability) - but I am not.
On 17 November 1944 the USN flew carrier suitability tests with a P-51D (fitted with an arresting hook and catapult bridle hooks), a F7F (with the arresting hook relocated after the first landing revealed a problem), and one other aircraft - one not exactly a stranger to carrier ops.

That was a USMC PBJ-1H - the Navy/Marine designation for the B-25H Mitchell!
Specifically, the USN had PBJ-1H BuNo 35277 (B-25H-5-NA SN 43-4700) fitted with the arresting hook from a Douglas SBD Dauntless and catapult bridle hooks, and actually made several arrested landings and catapulted launches!

Here is the description from Revenge of the Shang > Vintage Wings of Canada (scroll down about 1/3 of the page)... note that the USN also moved the Mitchell to the deck-edge elevator, moved it down to the hangar, and moved it around the hangar! The only thing lacking was to fit the wings for folding - and as the outer wing panels were fabricated separately and attached complete to the center wing section just outboard of the engine nacelles after the airframe was already sitting on its landing gear, a folding wing should have been relatively easy to design and fit.

Further information is found here (note that this article places the tests two days earlier, on the 15th: Flightdeck Friday: More Oddities – Steeljaw Scribe

Hook inspection:

Ready for launch:

Here is a photo of the Kansas City production line in October 1942, with B-25Ds (one of the early variants with the dorsal turret located near the tail... the -H and -J had the turret moved forwards to just behind the cockpit).
Note the lack of the wing outer panels... isn't that just begging for a locking hinge to be fitted?:

Last edited:
Not exactly - Lincoln (CVN-72) is a Nimitz class carrier. Nimitz, of course wasn't a president.
There is also Carl Vinson (CVN-70) and John Stennis (CVN-74) who weren't presidents and the new Enterprise (Ford class, CVN-80) that's currently under construction.
The next carrier to be built, will be the Doris Miller (CVN-81), named in honor of the black Sailor aboard West Virginia (BB-48) who manned an anti-aircraft gun during the attack on Pearl, shooting down several IJN aircraft, even as the ship was sinking.

I think the point was when past Presidents were chosen for postwar carrier names that they usually have some connection to military service, not that all postwar carriers are named after Presidents.
The naming convention.of U.S. carriers was focused mostly on battles and famous fighting ships.
The USS Franklin D. Roosevelt (CV-42) was named in honor of FDR's passing.
The USS Kennedy (CV-67) was named in honor of JFK's passing.

Starting with the Nimitz class, the USS Nimitz (CVN-68) started a tradition of naming carriers after notable persons (with the exception of CVN-80: USS Enterprise).

USS Forrestal CV-59, named for US Secretary of Defense James Forrestal.

The first USN carrier was named after a notable person, astronomer, aviation pioneer, and head of the Smithsonian: Samuel Pierpoint Langley.

As an aside, things are usually named after people to memorialize them. Usually, this requires them to be dead first. Modern US ships named after living people (Stennis, Ford, Reagan, Carter) have been named for primarily political reasons.

Users who are viewing this thread