Aircraft engine

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Marcel

rotartsinimdA
Staff
Admin
Mod
Sep 19, 2006
Dordrecht
www.redbeatband.nl
Found this engine on the quay at the Lauersoog port today. Does anybody have a clue what kind of engine this is? I'm guessing it came from the bottom of the Waddenzee or the North sea.
7FAF1339-1A65-4324-9DB3-F01A4E8610BF.jpeg
8EC78E55-B53A-447D-A7AE-CEEDFE51F806.jpeg
5DD81111-7C36-4A3D-A193-9DF05AB74098.jpeg

From what I can see is appears to be a 9 cylinder radial engine with a direct drive for a three bladed propeller, that could have had a front spinner shell. The propeller appears to be a right hand rotation tractor type propeller. For reference on rotation, the RR Merlin engine for the Spitfire was a right hand rotation propeller.

Last edited:
........ For reference on rotation, the RR Merlin engine for the Spitfire was a left hand rotation propeller.

The Merlin, was RH tractor (apart from the 130 series) so would be considered CW or right hand rotation. :)

Could it be a Bristol Pegasus?

It looks similar, though what appears to be single push rod tubes for each cylinder aren't directly in front of the cylinders like they are on a Pegasus...

Attachments

• Bristol_Pegasus_XXI.jpg
    Bristol_Pegasus_XXI.jpg
    585 KB · Views: 69
The Merlin, was RH tractor (apart from the 130 series) so would be considered CW or right hand rotation. :)
Propeller rotation is as viewed from the rear/pilot location. So the RR Merlin in a Spitfire is a Right Hand Rotation. The RR Griffon on the Spitfire was a Left Hand rotation.

Last edited:
I definitely know this is no Merlin as this is a radial and not a V-engine.
I think the missing tubes in the front (and the lack of the space for them) seems to rule out the Bristol Mercury or Pegasus engines.
Is there a German engine that looks like this? A 9-cylinder radial?

Snautzer01 Snautzer01 Could be, but the Whirlwind doesn't seem to have cooling fins close to the crackshaft, while this one seem to have them.

Propeller rotation is as viewed from the rear/pilot location. So the RR Merlin in a Spitfire is a Left Hand Rotation. Yes there are RH rotation Merlin's, But I specified on the Spitfire, as it is widely known. The RR Griffon on the Spitfire was a RH rotation.

You sure about that?

Attachments

• merlin data-plate.jpg
    merlin data-plate.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 50
  • Merlin V-1650 data plate, late style.jpg
    Merlin V-1650 data plate, late style.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Hey guys, this is not a thread about the RR Merlin!

Marcel,
apologies for answering the erroneous statement.

Can you get any more photos of this engine with a bit more detail?
I've had a search for 9 cylinder radials and haven't had much luck so far. It seems to be a fairly early type afaik as it has the counterweights for pitch change. Or maybe they were fitted on some of the less well known types.......
It's not a Bristol type, neither is it P&W or Wright. Going to have to dig a bit deeper when I have time. :)

I'm afraid I've no idea what radial this is as I only know about Russian engines but the thing I think is odd, all the cylinder heads are missing?? On a trad radial these are screwed on NEVER to come off again, a fixable problem with a normal cylinder head usually writes the whole pot off because to try and separate them usually trashes both bits. It is my opinion that there is no way the heads could conceivably all come off in use so im guessing it was a scrap engine dumped overboard not wreckage or a fallen off engine. It is making me scratch my head as to why all the heads are off?? Its not a sleeve valve engine is it? They might have more detachable cylinder heads seeing as though they dont do much!
Good luck I can't wait for the definitive answer from the assembled genius on tap!

Marcel,
apologies for answering the erroneous statement.

Can you get any more photos of this engine with a bit more detail?
I've had a search for 9 cylinder radials and haven't had much luck so far. It seems to be a fairly early type afaik as it has the counterweights for pitch change. Or maybe they were fitted on some of the less well known types.......
It's not a Bristol type, neither is it P&W or Wright. Going to have to dig a bit deeper when I have time. :)
Sorry, no, this is all I have. The place is 300 km from my house, so I won't be visiting it very soon. I agree, it was my impression that it was an early engine, too. I was thinking of Bristol engines as they where used a lot over the Waddenzee, first bij the Dutch airforce and later by the Wellingtons and Hampdens that used this route to the Ruhr. Googeling it, I found I guy who was also wondering what it was on his blog and he thought it was a german engine somehow (link). I have no idea how he came to that conclusion. In the mean time, I've also sought out a Dutch aviation forum in the hope that there would be someone who know anything about this engine.

Last edited:
That looks very British and Bristol to me; Dh Bracket prop, you can see the three counterweights, nine cylinders and no sign of any push rods so I'm thinking Bristol Perseus...

... Oh also forgot to mention that it isn't direct drive, you can see the reduction gear planetary gears

Looking through the types list for the Perseus which would likely have been fitted with a spinner, the remains of which you can see in the photos, I'm guessing at a MKII Lysander, a number were lost in that area during the Blitzkrieg in 1940 and likely after that too.

That looks very British and Bristol to me; Dh Bracket prop, you can see the three counterweights, nine cylinders and no sign of any push rods so I'm thinking Bristol Perseus...

... Oh also forgot to mention that it isn't direct drive, you can see the reduction gear planetary gears
Ah, good one! looks very similar to this indeed:
Bristol.perseus.arp.750pix.jpg

Ah, good one! looks very similar to this indeed:

Yes, agree.
Apart from the cylinders not having the twin exhaust ports and no sign of any sleeves inside the cylinders (?)

Attachments

• Sleeve_Valve_Closeup.JPG
    Sleeve_Valve_Closeup.JPG
    1,013.7 KB · Views: 98
  • vliegtuigmaotor.jpg
    vliegtuigmaotor.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 93
That's very true Sid, good spot 👍 Could it be a Wright Cyclone? A number of Dutch aircraft were fitted with the Cyclone and the 'Bracket/Counterweight' type propeller was a Hamilton Standard design that a number of European companies built under licence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back