Aircraft engine

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Looking at US types of the period the Dauntless was fitted with a Cyclone and a counterweight prop for reference; Modeling Hamilton Standard Counterweight Propeller

A Wright Cyclone has a circular crankcase and pushrod tubes in front of each cylinder. The cylinder barrels are also much shorter than on the engine Marcel has posted which has an angular crankcase very much like the photo in post #17 though the crankcase bolts are smaller and not counter-sunk.

Attachments

• Wright R-1820_2.jpg
    Wright R-1820_2.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 60
True and I see what you mean about the length of the cylinders. Looking at the Pegasus as other people have mentioned, with the front cover corroded away the push rods would also fall away, what are your thoughts?

True and I see what you mean about the length of the cylinders. Looking at the Pegasus as other people have mentioned, with the front cover corroded away the push rods would also fall away, what are your thoughts?

Can I suggest that it could be the other Bristol engine of the era?
The Bristol Mercury - which was the more compact, shorter stroke - thus smaller cylinder engine
Bristol_Mercury_RAFM.JPG

Apart from anything else, it was the power plant of the Blenheims - note the counterweights!
RAFBristolBlenheimWWIIColour.jpg

But then, both the Hampden and Wellington had the Pegasus - so statistically speaking it is probably a Pegasus!

So, I vote for a Bristol radial of some sort. The Pegasus had a longer stroke, so presumably longer cylinders. To settle on which one you would have to take measurements I suspect.

Here's a photo of an old Mercury engine.

Not only is the crankcase alloy, but it's a different shape.

Attachments

• 5019086_e173fb64.jpg
    5019086_e173fb64.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 54
The Bristol Mercury - which was the more compact, shorter stroke - thus smaller cylinder engine
View attachment 566264

Apart from anything else, it was the power plant of the Blenheims - note the counterweights!
View attachment 566265

But then, both the Hampden and Wellington had the Pegasus - so statistically speaking it is probably a Pegasus!

So, I vote for a Bristol radial of some sort. The Pegasus had a longer stroke, so presumably longer cylinders. To settle on which one you would have to take measurements I suspect.
The propeller in the above image has the wrong rotation compared to original pictures. If you compare the location of the large weight slug on the counterweight bracket these images have on the opposite side of the blade.

Actually, the Mercury was my first guess, as it was the main engine used by the Dutch airforce, making it even a more likely candidate, but as already shown, the cylinders don't match unfortunately. I agree with you in that I think it's a bristol. Everything on this screams to me it's a Bristol, but I don't have substantial prove, although it's satisfying to me that most of you seem to think in the same direction as I do.

Meanwhile I've been searching for reports of found engines in the waddenzee, but came up dry sofar, there are so many, but none mention Lauwersoog.

For guys with eyes for the right details, do you think this might be a similar engine? I'm not technical enbough to look for the right details. This is an engine at the bunker museum on Schiermonnikoog, the island close by Lauwersoog:
vliegtuig-motor.jpg

Last edited:
From the picture it looks like it is a 9 cylinder sleeve valved radial. Could it be Bristol Perseus?

From what I can see is appears to be a 9 cylinder radial engine with a direct drive for a three bladed propeller, that could have had a front spinner shell. The propeller appears to be a right hand rotation tractor type propeller. For reference on rotation, the RR Merlin engine for the Spitfire was a right hand rotation propeller.

The first photo shows a planetary reduction gear

I'm afraid I've no idea what radial this is as I only know about Russian engines but the thing I think is odd, all the cylinder heads are missing?? On a trad radial these are screwed on NEVER to come off again, a fixable problem with a normal cylinder head usually writes the whole pot off because to try and separate them usually trashes both bits. It is my opinion that there is no way the heads could conceivably all come off in use so im guessing it was a scrap engine dumped overboard not wreckage or a fallen off engine. It is making me scratch my head as to why all the heads are off?? Its not a sleeve valve engine is it? They might have more detachable cylinder heads seeing as though they dont do much!
Good luck I can't wait for the definitive answer from the assembled genius on tap!

Hi Yakman
Dissimilar metal corrosion, especially in salt water, will dissolve the aluminium heads over time.

Last edited:

It is most definitely not a sleeve valve as there are no ports half way up the cylinders.

Having worked on both the Pegasus and the Mercury I would put money on one of those two because the crankcase through bolt screams Bristol.
1578639697271.png

A couple of better photos or some measurements would be needed to get more exact
Mi

For guys with eyes for the right details, do you think this might be a similar engine? I'm not technical enbough to look for the right details. This is an engine at the bunker museum on Schiermonnikoog, the island close by Lauwersoog:
View attachment 566270

You've got it Marcel :)

Now we need to know what they both are.

Hi Yakman
Dissimilar metal corrosion, especially in salt water will disolve the aluminium heads over time.

Dear MITasol, you are absolutely right - I hadn't thought of that. It totally explains why all cylinder heads are neatly missing and also the entire crankcase between the main core and propeller hub exposing the reduction gear!

Thanks!

Actually, the Mercury was my first guess, as it was the main engine used by the Dutch airforce, making it even a more likely candidate, but as already shown, the cylinders don't match unfortunately. I agree with you in that I think it's a bristol. Everything on this screams to me it's a Bristol, but I don't have substantial prove, although it's satisfying to me that most of you seem to think in the same direction as I do.

Meanwhile I've been searching for reports of found engines in the waddenzee, but came up dry sofar, there are so many, but none mention Lauwersoog.

View attachment 566270

Dear Marcel,

From juggling between the photos I think the photo above is the same engine as the quayside engine. The amount and location (thanks MITasol) of corrosion looks to be identical, there seem to be four groups of four studs holding down each pot of which the finning looks very similar. Similar reduction gear, similar propeller hub. Would not say definitely but the two share an awful lot.

Cheers, YakMan

The photo in front of the engine at Schiermonnikoog seems to show a Hampden. I'm not quite sure as the resolution is really low. If that's the case and the engine comes from said aircraft, the engine must be a Bristol Pegasus.

I've gotten a few inquiries running, so I hope I'll get some answers soon.

Doesn't look like a Pegasus to me.

Different crankcase (which appears to be alloy too) and which also has pushrod tubes. The engine you are asking about has a steel crankcase and no sign of having pushrods fitted.

Attachments

• Bristol_Pegasus_engine_from_crashed_Hampden.jpg
    Bristol_Pegasus_engine_from_crashed_Hampden.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 49
  • vliegtuigmaotor.jpg
    vliegtuigmaotor.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 85
  • vliegtuig-motor.jpg
    vliegtuig-motor.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 51
Re post 31
I still think it is a Bristol but after thinking overnight there are too many cylinder hold down studs for the Mercury and Pegasus models that I worked on. One had 8 studs from memory (Mercury I think) and the Pegasus II M 3 had twelve studs from memory. If I could find my II M 3 manual I would put up pages from that. That said the later Mercury or Pegasus may well have had more studs to allow for higher boost and power settings.
The Bristols all had long reduction gear housings to provide space for the collector exhaust and in these photos it is hard to tell how long the reduction gear is but I am beginning to feel that it is too short.
I will keep looking for that #$%^& manual

For guys with eyes for the right details, do you think this might be a similar engine? I'm not technical enough to look for the right details. This is an engine at the bunker museum on Schiermonnikoog, the island close by Lauwersoog:

Gidday Marcel

I think you have got it as the crankcase through bolts are the same, the cylinder hold down studs are the same and the prop has the same unusual domed counterweights and spinner.

Interestingly your photo shows a front ignition harness which none of the Bristols I worked on had so that strongly suggests it is not a Bristol unless a different submodel.

Now I am inclined towards it being another make of engine and one engine that was very common in Europe in many guises was the Pratt and Whitney Hornet. As well as imports, that was also built under licence by BMW and Fiat. BMW later developed the BMW 132 from the Hornet.

A quick web search shows the Hornet also had a front ignition harness in some variants and that at least one model BMW 132 had both the "Bristol" crankcase studs and front ignition harness.

Maybe someone with some real knowledge of the BMW 132 (my knowledge is limited to this mornings web search) could look at Marcel's photos in posts 1 and 26 and provide knowledgeable comment. The engine was used in the Arado Ar196 float-plane and that had a spinner so I would very very hesitantly suggest that is a possibility for both the engine and aircraft it came from. A number of other German airframes used this engine so it was relatively common.

Mi

Last edited:
Doesn't look like a Pegasus to me.

Different crankcase (which appears to be alloy too) and which also has pushrod tubes. The engine you are asking about has a steel crankcase and no sign of having pushrods fitted.

Yea, thats weird - a steel crankcase?? I don't know of any. That would make the core incredibly heavy. I would be tempted to suggest a tank engine (if it didn't have a propeller dangling off the front!!) so I won't even say it

Forged steel crank cases were not uncommon before high strength forgeable alloys were developed (most, if not all, rotary engines used steel crankcases) and in the case of the Wright R-1820 the early engines were forged aluminium but starting at the G100 Wright reverted to forged steel. My guess is that the power increase outstripped the alloy technology at that point. If memory is correct the much later engines reverted to forged alloy. I discarded the R-1820 as I can not think of any 1820 installations with spinners except the Buffalo and as far as I know they were not operating in that area.

Cast aluminium and forged aluminium will corrode differently due to the density and different alloying materials so I did not discard the case being made of forged alloy. I could well be wrong.

My exposure to Hornet engines is minimal but I have a memory that some of them also used steel crankcases and that would probably have followed through to the BMW.

Likewise some European engines used steel cases - Hispano Suiza comes to mind as did at least one Japanese engine.

And Marcel's engine is definitely not a Bristol Mercury or Pegasus. I should have picked up on this on day one - the Bristol Mercury and Pegasus both used a beveled epicyclic reduction gears. This engine has a planetary reduction gear.

If anyone knows how to invite Shortround6 and/or Callum Douglas and/or William Pearce into this discussion I am sure a quick result would emerge

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back