AIRCRAFT I.D. PLEASE

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Could it be a Percival Proctor?

Percival_proctor.jpg

Percival Proctor - Wikipedia

I'd say that's a ringer, Graeme...good eye!

Also, that's quite a collection of aircraft in that scrap heap...several airframes of the Dutch Brewster B-339 (Buffalo), and an early B-17 with the pre-May '42 roundel.

Apparently the location is Andir where the Japanese gathered from across the NEI all the wrecks of Allied airframes that could not be repaired. In Dutch use, it was home to an ML-KNIL technical training school, as well as an operating base for Glenn Martin bombers. A squadron of USAAF B-17s also operated from there during the conflict.

There are 3 Brewsters in the background (B-3156 furthest to the left, then there's another with "O" on the fin visible through the skeletal rudder of the B-10, with the third Brewster visible under the port wing of the B-17). There's a 4th Brewster clearly visible side-on, with what looks like the serial B-397, in between the Miles Whitney Straight and the B-17. This latter airframe wears the rectangular red, white and blue national markings that were applied to ML-KNIL aircraft in March 1942, just before the surrender, replacing the previous marking of black-bordered orange triangles.

The wing to the right of the Whitney Straight looks to be the outer wing panel from a WH-139. Note the 3 black numerals on the leading edge which were a repeat of the individual airframe number. Sadly, I can't make out the numbers clearly...perhaps "827" or "937" or something similar?

Buffnut,

That panel with the "O" on it is not the vertical stabilizer from any Brewster.
Check out the plane behind the B-17 ("B-297"). The tail fin is clearly visible there and the shape of both are vastly different.
I also agree that the plane seen under the wing tip of the B-17 is not a Brewster, but a CW-21.

Elvis

Last edited:
Buffnut,

That panel with the "O" on it is not the vertical stabilizer from any Brewster.
Check out the plane behind the B-17 ("B-297"). The tail fin is clearly visible there and the shape of both are vastly different.
I also agree that the plane seen under the wing tip of the B-17 is not a Brewster, but a CW-21.

Elvis

I see what you mean about the fin/rudder on 'O'. There's certainly something odd going on. Perhaps there's another airframe in between the Brewster and the B-10 rudder, or perhaps the B-10 rudder skeleton is corrupting our perception of the fin/rudder on the other aircraft. However, look at the rear of the cockpit on that airframe. That feature is is 100% Brewster (it's also wearing the same fuselage band as B-3156 next to it, indicating they were from the same squadron).

As to the aircraft under the B-17 wing, that's also a Brewster. The fuselage is far too fat to be a CW-21. Also the CW-21 doesn't have the distinctive gap between the engine cowling and the fuselage or the row of cooling vents in the forward fuselage that was a distinctive feature of Brewsters. The pic below, from a similar angle, shows the cowling gap and vents to good effect:

P025686.jpg

But don't take my word for it. Peter Boer, who is THE world's expert on ML-KNIL, also identifies 4 Brewsters in this image.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back