Aircraft Identification V

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yeao! It looks like a Daussalt product freaky with a Me-262.

:{)

Don't see any resemblance?
b35f9b23.jpg

sai207-i.jpg

DogW

O-1131921765-3iGbHQms.gif

I've been away for quite some time, but popped in again to see how things are doing. Can anyone name this aircraft? Ugly isn't sufficient.

cheddar cheese said:
Is that really the only difference? They look totally different!
It's the only difference.
In the post war years Ing. Ambrosini, owner of SAI Ambrosini and designer itself (SAI 403 was partly his work), acquired the IMAM and gave life to AERFER with Stefanutti as chief designer.
He want to partecipate to the trials for trainers and fighters of the new Aeronautica Italiana, but the AERFER was a small firm that didn't have the possibility to try it's design in a wind tunnel, so the new solutions had to be tried in flight.
First, Ing. Ambrosini adventurosely found a Jumo 004 (now exposed at the Vigna di Valle Museum) to study the installation of a jet engine, then Ing. Stefanutti modified a SAI S-7 (that was a SAI 207 with a different engine) with swept wings and tail to study aerodinamic; finally, the same aircraft, renamed "Sagittario I" was fitted with a 400 kg Turbomeca "Marboré" jet engine.
So, the second italian post-war jet to fly (being the first Gabrielli's Fiat G-80) was a wooden jet!

These early experiences brought first to the Aerfer Sagittario II, a light interceptor (2500 Kg of dry weight, two 30 mm guns, max speed 1,040 km/h and the possibility to take off from not-prepared surfaces, like a WWII fighter) equipped with a 1600 kg Rolls-Royce Derwent Mk.9-46, that was the first italian aircraft to break the sound barrier in controlled flight (in dive).
AmbrosiniSagittario2Foto1.jpg

then, to the Aerfer Ariete, a study of the possibility to fit an additional booster into the Sagitario II fuselage (the second jet engine of the Ariete was the substitute of the booster).
The final evolution had to be the Aerfer Leone. Equipped with a 3090 kg Bristol Orpheus BOr.12, and a 4100 kg De Havilland Spectre kerosene booster, it was intended to be able of supercruising with only the jet engine, and to reach Mach 2,34 with the booster but, for a sudden shortage of funds, the Leone project was aborted.

DogW

Still was this a succesful design? I mean just because it could do well with a prop, was it succesful as a jet?

:{)

In term of prestations the design was succesful. The Sagittario II had prestations similar to those of the contemporaries Folland Gnat (that aquired a fame of Sabre-killer in the Indian Air Force) and Fiat G91 (winner of a NATO pubblic competition for light weight strike fighters to be adopted from several countries in 1957), with a much less powerful engine (the Gnat had a Bristol Orpheus 701-01 engine with 2.134 kg thrust, the G-91 a 2268 kg thrust Bristol Orpheus 803) and was at least as, if not more, maneuverable than those two.
Unfortunately it wasn't a dedicated strike fighter, but an interceptor and, in the second '50, in Europe, there was not a real request for lightweight interceptors. Only two prototypes were built, but for Stefanutti it was only an intermediate stage in the developement of the Leone.
The Leone could have been another thing (even if the booster solution was not very successful in other designs of the time), but we'll never know.

DogW

i know you hate them adler but no one else is posting any..........

should be easier than the last one........

Attachments

• what_181.jpg
    what_181.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 308
20cac4a0.gif

What about this one? Slightly harder and more unknown.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back