Aircraft info

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Alecras234

Senior Airman
Sep 6, 2018
Hi I like building ww2 aircraft using airfix kits. I saw a model building video on youtube and the guy building the model spitfire was saying why the spitfire was half black on the underside. Information like that I'd like to learn about! How do j get information like that? I am reading books about ww2 but none of them mention information like that.

The info can be found in books about camouflage and markings . In the particular case you need to find a book about the RAF camouflage or about the Spitfire plane. The kind of books is more detailed than the general books about the WW2.

It was a recognition colour on RAF fighters at the beginning of the war, lasting until late May / early June, 1940, being half white, half black.
A similar scheme was introduced on 27 November 1940, until 22 April 1941, with the Sky undersides having the underside of the port wing in black.
The Scale Aircraft Modelling guide 'Spitfire Mk1' and the older Camouflage and Markings 'Spitfire' books will show this.

What books? are the osprey books any good? i've got the book, RJ Mitchell schooldays to spitfire, but it doesn't say anything about the black underside or about the markings.

Last edited:
A recently restored Mk 1 found at Dunkirk has this scheme, it made a squadron look like a flying chequer board from the ground.

1562774518699.png

What books? are the osprey books any good? i've got the book, RJ Mitchell schooldays to spitfire, but it doesn't say anything about the black underside or about the markings.

Alec,

There is a lot of books for camouflage of many different planes offered. Some of them are better while other ones may be worse. Here you are a couple of examples...
RAF camo1.jpg
RAF camo2.jpg

RAF camo3.jpg
RAF camo4.jpg

camo1.jpg
camo2.jpg

The first book in post 8 will cost you your right kidney. It's out of print and will go for several hundred dollars on Amazon. I know cuz I'd love a copy.

The first book in post 8 will cost you your right kidney. It's out of print and will go for several hundred dollars on Amazon. I know cuz I'd love a copy.

It is worth keeping an eye out for it on Ebay: I found two copies there for no more than £15 each.

The reason for the inflated price is the table with the colour chips, the rest of the info is available online.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back