Aircraft materials used today

Discussion in 'Technical Requests' started by jo123, Jun 21, 2009.

1. jo123

jo123 New Member

I'm doing a project at the moment and need to work out what materials were used for aircraft skins at certain dates in history.

I need to fill out a table that looks like this:

| Date | Materials used for the aircraft skin | Type of air craft |
    | 1790 | silk .| Hot air balloon |

I don't know if this is the right forum for this question but if anyone could help me it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. FLYBOYJ

FLYBOYJ "THE GREAT GAZOO"
    Staff Member Moderator

Aircraft Maintenance Manager/ Flight Instructor
    Broad question, here's a start

2024 ALUMINUM for skins and either T-3 or T-4 depending on location. During WW2 it carried the designation of 24T. Still in use today.

Get a copy of Advisory Circular 43.13, it's put out by the FAA, it might give you a good base for aluminum, wood and fabric used in aircraft construction.

3. Stitch

Stitch Banned

FLYBOYJ pretty much said; approximately 95% of the aircraft flying these days are made out of aircraft-grade aluminun alloy, with the other 5% made up of wood, stainless steel,titanium and various composites. Titanium was very popular in the '60's and '70's for the construction of exotic, high-performance aircraft, like the SR-71, but it was very difficult to manufacture back then. Nowadays, most high-performance aircraft (F-22, F-35, Eurofighter, etc.) use a lot of composite materials, like carbon-fiber, thermoset resins, and thermoplastics.