Aircraft on WW2 Era Carriers

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

syscom3

Pacific Historian
Jun 4, 2005
Orange County, CA
Radial engined aircraft leak oil like they want to mark their spots. So I started wondering on how did the worlds navies handle the inevitable oil leaks on the carriers? On the hanger deck, were oil pans pushed under the engines to catch the drips? What about the flight deck? I dont see how putting pans on the deck would be safe or practical. Did the crew periodically try to clean it up? How safe could it have been for the oil to mix with the sea spray and then have sailors walk/run on it. Or aircraft skidding on it?

Radial engined aircraft leak oil like they want to mark their spots. So I started wondering on how did the worlds navies handle the inevitable oil leaks on the carriers? On the hanger deck, were oil pans pushed under the engines to catch the drips? What about the flight deck? I dont see how putting pans on the deck would be safe or practical. Did the crew periodically try to clean it up? How safe could it have been for the oil to mix with the sea spray and then have sailors walk/run on it. Or aircraft skidding on it?
Drip trays were used. One solution is to put sand in the bottom of them to soak up the oil. But I don't believe the problem was quite a bad as your post would suggest.

Not just radials, here's HMS Argus with drip trays under each Sea Hurricane.

750069299cc3a07a3379644c45b9be6d.jpg

As to what they did about the mess. "Sweepers, sweepers man your… um, mops". The Navy always has plenty of hands for cleaning.

Sweeping the decks for debris is one thing. Cleaning oil spills is another.

Again, someone posted a pic upthread with drip-pans under a/c, so this was not an issue so big that they couldn't deal with it. I'm Air Force and not Navy, but I think any vet got it pounded into them that cleanliness was next to godliness. Speaking only from my own experience that shit was drummed into us.

Again, someone posted a pic upthread with drip-pans under a/c, so this was not an issue so big that they couldn't deal with it. I'm Air Force and not Navy, but I think any vet got it pounded into them that cleanliness was next to godliness. Speaking only from my own experience that shit was drummed into us.

That was my point with the sweepers comment. If there is even a potential something is dirty, someone is assigned to clean it. That someone will come up with methods to insure it either doesn't get dirty to begin with or, worst case, is as easy to clean as possible. Slept wrapped in a blanket atop a made bed more than once. Stupid, yes. Easier than making it from scratch in the morning, also yes.

That was my point with the sweepers comment. If there is even a potential something is dirty, someone is assigned to clean it. That someone will come up with methods to insure it either doesn't get dirty to begin with or, worst case, is as easy to clean as possible. Slept wrapped in a blanket atop a made bed more than once. Stupid, yes. Easier than making it from scratch in the morning, also yes.

Right, and I've taken part in FOD-walks, too. Brute-force solution to a simple but detailed problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back