Aircraft Wheels ID

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Mar 14, 2017
I would be grateful for any assistance please in identifying the aircraft from which these wheels come. The first two hubs (first photo) are 13 and 3/4" in diameter, and stamped AH 10020/2, pair thereof. The third hub (second photo) is 16 and 5/8" in diameter, and stamped AH 50286 Issue 2, one thereof. I do not know whether they are from the same aircraft. Any assistance much appreciated. Thank-you. Regards, Richard

BB20CF16-A03D-498A-90D2-2BD9EC7E78C6.jpeg
4C59BB31-75C4-4357-BEC1-C0597520AD61.jpeg

Thanks Crimea. The wheels have Dunlop tyres on them. PR XIX: as far as I can tell, these had three 'spoke' wheels? Regards, Richard

I would be grateful for any assistance please in identifying the aircraft from which these wheels come. The first two hubs (first photo) are 13 and 3/4" in diameter, and stamped AH 10020/2, pair thereof. The third hub (second photo) is 16 and 5/8" in diameter, and stamped AH 50286 Issue 2, one thereof. I do not know whether they are from the same aircraft. Any assistance much appreciated. Thank-you. Regards, Richard

View attachment 672208View attachment 672209

Welcome aboard
AH part numbers indicate Dunlop so that is a start
The first wheel is almost certainly early/mid 40's but the second is almost certainly post war both from the part number and the use of inhex bolts although knock off rims were mainly replaced by split rims by then. Can you please advise the tyre sizes as it is often easier to find the wheel from that. The Spitfire used several wheels but I doubt the first wheel is Spitfire as it has screw holes for a hub cap and I cannot remember any Spitfires with hub caps - not a great fan of the aircraft tho so no doubt someone will pop up a photo of a version with hubcaps.

All the tyres are Dunlops. Those on the pair of wheels are marked "9.5 - 12 Low Pressure Tyre", and have "27a" in a cartouche. That on the single wheel is marked "27 x 6.00 - 15". Thank-you.

Thanks - I will see what I can find on the 12 inch rims. It is unlikely I will find anything on the 15 inch rims as I have nothing much post war in my library.

Can you please provide photos of the rear of the wheels so I can see if they are mains or not. I would hate to be looking for a main when it is something like a Lincoln tail wheel or some other aircraft's nose wheel.

For USAAF wheels I have a document that lists all in use in 43 which is sorted by tire size (as the same wheel and/or tire can be used on multiple aircraft, but for RAF I need to read individual manuals and even then they do not always provide the full story. The first few I checked provide part number (surprising me) but equally often just size or just part number. First example is Spitfire I, both P/N and size (10 inch), then Spitfire II just the P/N then Spiteful then the Anson, which again provided both. I would now revise the first part number to late war or early post war as the Spiteful is only AH 8375 and the Spit PR XIX 10019 and the part numbers are in sequential order so the higher the number the later the part.

After I am confident it is a main wheel I think I will concentrate on Dove/Devon/Heron as they are about that size and I do not have those manuals on hand.

It is not Oxford though.

1654495926575.png

1654494405028.png

1654495400488.png

1654494745756.png

Very many thanks for that MiTasol. Attached is a photo of the rear of the pair of wheels (the AH10020 ones). So, from an Oxford?
Regards,
Richard
Richard
Aero Wheel.jpg

Yep - definitely Oxford.
Given this is a late war part number for a prewar aircraft I will contact a friend who has the RAAF Oxford Orders (basically modification instructions) and see it their was a mod to replace earlier Dunlop or the Avery wheels. It may shed some light on things. Maybe the Avery wheels became difficult or impossible to get. People do not realise that a lot of companies died during and immediately after WW2 - Warner Aircraft Engines being one of the better known ones in the US. Can't think of a Brit company off the top of my head but there were quite a few.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back