Aircraft With Contrarotating Props

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi Carson, in this instance turnip, being a ball shaped vegetable, is a description of my head, for not thinking to raid my Putnam collection for more pics :)

Having had that thought, thanks to AMCken, here is another, the Avro Lancastrian C.2

IMG_0046.jpg

Hi Carson, in this instance turnip, being a ball shaped vegetable, is a description of my head, for not thinking to raid my Putnam collection for more pics :)

Having had that thought, thanks to AMCken, here is another, the Avro Lancastrian C.2

IMG_0046.jpg

Hi Waynos,
thanks for your explanation: it was much less involved that I thought: also in italian we say exactly the same thing in the same sense...
Also I came across a very interesting website from a dutch gentleman concerning "The Supermarine Spitfire Family Tree", that's the link:
http://www.strijdbewijs.nl/birds/spitfire/spitfiretree/spittree.htm.
I checked the genealogy of the "Seafire" and it matches hundredpercent with the information that you and other forum members gave in this thread.
BTW thanks for the LancastrianC.2
carson1934

You will find herebelow for the benefit of all concerned a diagram with the streamlined genealogy of the Supermarine Seafire with contra-rotating props.
There are lots of information on the web about this entry but matters seem to be complicated and information are often conflicting and in most cases incomplete.
I have found particular difficulty to determine the dates of events to such an extent that some such entries are followed by a question mark.
This job (besides causing the loss of several hours of sleep and a hefty headache) was rendered possible by data and pictures recently supplied by my friends of the forum who went out of their ways to help me out in this venture!
Cheers
carson1934

Attachments

• 10001.pdf
    353.6 KB · Views: 157
I didn't go back to the start of this thread, but has anyone mentioned the Convair R3Y-1 and the R3Y-2 "Tradewind" seaplane ? It had four turbo-props, with contra-rotating props.

Charles

Attachments

• 300px-R3Y_Tradewind.jpg
    300px-R3Y_Tradewind.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 237
I found yet another one. Tupolev Tu-4, testbed for NK-12 turboprop engine.

Thanks very much Tzaw! . The manuscript of the compilation "aircrafts with contrarotating props" is finally ready and I hope to edit it in this thread very soon.
carson

Didn't see this one on the list so here tis: Supermarine Seagull (1948). (from seawings forum)

Attachments

• scan174.jpg
    scan174.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 219
It's ok I'm easily confused.

In any case

Is there now a pdf list or something to commemorate all the hard posting by all concerned ?

Contra Prop Planes of the World - Ancient Modern Dubious

I am very interested in the Clarkson U. paper on contra-rotating propellers but cannot access it with the address given by Cromwell.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
John Regalbuto

Ever since I first saw pics of it, and this was quite recently, I've been a bit intrigued by the Caproni you have illustrated here toward the top of your post. It looks kind of like a Caproni Campini N1, only it has the contraprops in the nose and the straight tapered wings, but still retains the tubular fuselage and the empennage of the N1.

While for the longest time, I had been wondering about the N1 as a possible RC ducted fan project(and still do, especially in view of the fact that back then, in the mid-80's, there wasn't much to choose from with regard to ducted fan kits and the engines to power them. Nowadays, there is so much more to choose from, they are relatively affordable, and, best of all, they are much more reliable and safe to use. I refer you to the Midwest ducted fan A4, where you had to start the .049 ducted fan unit outside of the model, and gingerly put it back in and secure it. I was at a flying field where someone had brought one in, started it, and when he tried to put the running unit back in, one of his fingers got in the way of the rotor, and there was a lot of blood), and perhaps something like this could be done, or even has been done. But the elliptical wing gave the ship a certain amount of attraction and panache, at least to me, for such a tubby(overall) lady.

But after seeing the illustration of a modified version(which, by the way, I'm wondering if there is any history on this), I'm wondering even further, because nowadays, electric contraprop units are fairly affordable and easy to obtain.

Could you tell me a bit more about this, and if they are available, point me in the direction of any competently drawn three views?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back