Aircraft wrecks in Germany?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

daveT

Senior Airman
I'll be traveling to Germany later this year. Anybody know what the laws are about aircraft wrecks in Germany? Anybody know where any are? Anybody know any guides or contacts in Germany? Lastly, Anybody know where I can see a wreck in a museum in Germany?
Thank you for looking.

The law in Germany is quite strict. You'll need a lot of permits if ammunition and or aviation fuel etc etc is suspected. Next to permits which allow you to have weapons. And of course permission of the landowner. And you just can't dig just like that whitout knowing if any aircrew remains are present within the wreck.
There are recovery groups active in Germany...easy to find on the internet. You could visit our collection...but that is in Holland, about 15 miles east of Arnhem...very near to the German border.
Cheers Sander

Speaking of ammunition: there's a huge Facebook post (under Allied Airmen of WW II, I think) about a UK gardener who just unearthed an intact U.S. .50 caliber round. CONSTERNATION! Comments range from DON'T TOUCH it to CALL THE AUTHORITIES in the UK to "What's the big deal?" Over Here. Evidently you can go away for having a live cartridge (distinct from "bullet" BTW) in the UK. Thing is: the round is not going to self-explode after 70 some years. Even if it did, even with heat applied, it'd be an open-air low-order detonation. There must be thousands of such items across Europe. Several years ago some German workers uncovered a Tallboy, as I recall...city blocks were evacuated until the ordies did their work.

Speaking of ammunition: there's a huge Facebook post (under Allied Airmen of WW II, I think) about a UK gardener who just unearthed an intact U.S. .50 caliber round. CONSTERNATION! Comments range from DON'T TOUCH it to CALL THE AUTHORITIES in the UK to "What's the big deal?" Over Here. Evidently you can go away for having a live cartridge (distinct from "bullet" BTW) in the UK. Thing is: the round is not going to self-explode after 70 some years. Even if it did, even with heat applied, it'd be an open-air low-order detonation. There must be thousands of such items across Europe. Several years ago some German workers uncovered a Tallboy, as I recall...city blocks were evacuated until the ordies did their work.

In Germany everytime there is construction there is the potential to find something. I can't even count how many times my school as a kid, or the my neighborhood was evacuated because a WW2 UXO was found.

I like the idea that there are a few thousand plane wrecks in Europe left untouched for 75 years for people to look at.

The law in Germany is quite strict. You'll need a lot of permits if ammunition and or aviation fuel etc etc is suspected. Next to permits which allow you to have weapons. And of course permission of the landowner. And you just can't dig just like that whitout knowing if any aircrew remains are present within the wreck.
There are recovery groups active in Germany...easy to find on the internet. You could visit our collection...but that is in Holland, about 15 miles east of Arnhem...very near to the German border.
Cheers Sander

Any recommendations for recovery groups?

I like the idea that there are a few thousand plane wrecks in Europe left untouched for 75 years for people to look at.

Actually....the most a/c crashed during ww2 in Europe went down in the Netherlands. Almost 7500 a/c. And due to the type of soil almost half of that number still are laying deep underground here.

Actually....the most a/c crashed during ww2 in Europe went down in the Netherlands. Almost 7500 a/c. And due to the type of soil almost half of that number still are laying deep underground here.
Same in UK, if there was surface wreckage it was cleared almost immediately, the ones remaining need a digger to go down 3 or four meters. They are excavating a Hurricane at the moment and hope to get enough to rebuild it, this means getting the relevant frame number.

Same in UK, if there was surface wreckage it was cleared almost immediately, the ones remaining need a digger to go down 3 or four meters. They are excavating a Hurricane at the moment and hope to get enough to rebuild it, this means getting the relevant frame number.
The most extreme depth we ever reached digging on a JG 77 Me109G-14 was 8 meters. But the average depth here is also 3 to 4 meters.

The most extreme depth we ever reached digging on a JG 77 Me109G-14 was 8 meters. But the average depth here is also 3 to 4 meters.
Some regions in UK like East Anglia are just like the Netherlands, they even look the same as far as some churches and buildings go because it was the Dutch that drained them.

Hi Dave,
Have a look on the website(also in English) attached. They are pretty active throughout whole Germany and have links of other groups listed.

Verweise

Hope it helps you finding what you are looking for.

Cheers,
Sander

A US .50 might be pretty safe, but as with any round, if it cooks of, the bullet will not just fall off, it will separate from the casing like it would when fired, just no barrel to aim it.

The Deutsches Technik Museum in Berlin has a couple of interesting wrecks on display, including this Ju 87:

48144282236_5e5e4e8ce0_b.jpg
Stuka

And this Lancaster centre section. it's quite difficult to photograph because of the surrounding displays:

48144359866_f4933174b8_b.jpg
Lancaster wreck secton

48142982847_4767f3ee71_b.jpg
Lancaster ii

At the air museum at Finowfurt, the former Soviet air base in the former DDR is a collection of wrecks recovered by a group, whose name I forget.

A fuselage section from a Bf 109 two seater:

48142984362_2262a8c71a_b.jpg
Bf 109 2 seater

A Merlin from Lancaster Mk.I ED328.

48142896221_844243c2ec_b.jpg
Merlin

A bit of info on the Lanc:

101 Squadron Lancaster I ED328 SR-S Fl/Sgt. Naffin

Might be worth swinging by the Finowfurt museum for more information.

Attachments

• 48142894711_3090e8a81a_b.jpg
    48142894711_3090e8a81a_b.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 48142982812_6100745371_b.jpg
    48142982812_6100745371_b.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back