AIRFIX 1:48 P-40 - AS ODDBALL AS IT GETS

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Grant. Tamiya seat harnesses are painted and drying. These are the attachment points I was talking about up thread. Petty of me to hate these but due to the tolerances of these new kits, it's imperative to totally remove the stubs. I couldn't get a good fit at one spot and had to get my visor and run the back of a blade to find the minute bit of stub I missed

IMG_1885.JPG

Even still, a minor gap to fill

IMG_1891.JPG

I don't know how others managed, it was still a hand full. Cockpit done save some touch-ups. For the third time I need to fix the buckles which I hadn't noticed until I was resizing the pics. As for the harnesses....meh

IMG_1894.JPG

The I.P. is just in for the photo op. Airfix would have one glue both side walls in first and then in some bizarre twisting motion, get tabs A to butt up against post B. My solution was to glue the right side in place, let dry, glue the bottom of the left side at the bottom, insert the I.P. into place and then press and glue the upper left side into place. No fiddling about. So precise is the fit, the MG butts have to fit into the dimple (3) which I'm happy to say they did. I let this all set up as I tackle the fuselage

IMG_1892.JPG

Last edited:
So precise is the fit, the MG butts have to fit into the dimple (3) which I'm happy to say they did. I let this all set up as I tackle the fuselage

View attachment 666280
Geo, I believe step 9 in the instructions must be interpreted with the guns in vertical position, not parallel to the side wall:
ynn9hqn.jpg

I remember consulting this detail for my Revell P-40B model (with completely wrong instrument panel) and then checking the following photos:
5VYq67R.jpg

3dieddj.jpg

Photos are from "P-40 in D&S - Part 1" by Bert Kinzey
Cheers!
P.S. Under the guns there is a "beam" holding them in this position which can be added to the Airfix (and any other) model as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back