Airfix Decals

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Let's see some progress pics Heinz....

and I agree with Tamiya tape, use it all the time great stuff.

Wurger has some excellent tips, keep 'em coming!

I've had a problem with Testors glosscote and dullcote (Spray) shrivelling up the Airfix decals when I overspray.I have found if I use Glosscote on the model and the decal over it,the decal will set nicely.I use an old t-shirt to squeeze the decal over the details.Then I use glosscote in a bottle with a brush to coat the decal.(I cover the complete area of the camuflage color only where the decal sits to avoid color discrepencies.)Now I can spray with dullcote for the desired finish.
Ed

The main problem with quite old decals or with these of poor quality that these decals like cracking.The old Mastercraft decals are the best example.Simply if you put them to water you had colour puzzles instead of decals.The only way to avoid that is to cover the decal sheets with a thin layer of a gloss (matt) cote before these decals will get water. Another problem is the one which was mentioned by Otftch and others.How to settle the decals on a model and avoid their shrivelling?The Ed's solution seems to be good.But we should remember that the model details can be very fragile.What is more ,there cannot be enough space for squeezing the decal over the details, especially on models in smaller scales.Therefore, I think that the best solution of the problem is to use ,the mentioned early, special liquids for decals or buying other decal sheets.
Of course there is possibility of making our own decals or painting these markings with patterns (masks) on a model directly.

Yes Becco,these liquids are suitable for decals.Unfortunately they work exactly like a gloss cote only.It means they make a surface very smooth what improve the decal sticking.The liquids can be put on model surfaces with either a brush or an airbrush.There hasn't been mentioned another liquid called "SIDOLUX" in the article.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back