Airfix Newmold Kitbash Question

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Zippythehog

Senior Airman
Jan 7, 2017
Hi,
I have been looking for newer 1/72 Spitfire Mk Vcs. Since the very good Sword kit is out of production, the thought crossed my mind that perhaps someone has used the Airfix newmold IXc wing on the newmold Va kit?
Thanks,
Zip

I'm not sure if it is worth to mix these two kits. The Mk.IX doesn't seem to be the new tool. I would say it is the old one with re-engraved as recessed panel lines. IMHO it would be easier to match the "C" wing from the old Airfix 02040 Spitfire Mk Vc kit. The kit contains the full set of sprues for Mk.VB ( raised panel lines) and a separate sprue for the "C" wing with recessed panel lines. Additionally the sprue contains separate top gun blisters ( both small and large type ) and the parts for Vokes filter. I have the same kit but offered yet by the Heller. Still thinking about using of the sprue for a RAAF Spit VC

the pic source: Airfix 02040 Spitfire Mk Vc

Also you may give a try to one of the Kovozávody Prostějov (Kovozavody Prostejov) 1/72 scale kits. They seem to be not so bad. Three props, spinners and exhaust types, two kinds of carburetor filter ( Vokes and Aboukir), wheels and gun blisters

These kits base on MK.Vb / Mk.Vb Trop of the firm and come with the additional sprue for the "C" wing.

KPM0121 ...

KPM0124 ...

KPM0147 ...

sprues ...

the pic source: Spitfire Mk.Vc "in RAAF service"

Thanks Wurger,
I've not done the KP kits. I have done the old Airfix Vc. It's wing is quite thick. I miss the Sword kit. The KP are easier to get.
Zip

Another thing to consider is that the blister over the landing gear for the Mk. IX was totally different from that of the Mk. V, which seems to be similar to that of the Mk. I--and the Mks. I-VI had re-enforcing strips, which I've only seen on the Hasegawa (ironically, it includes parts for the very first Spits, from before the time those strips were added) 1/72 Mk. I, and the Revell snap-tight kit--neither of which has the 'gull-wing', and the lower fuselage of the Hase kit looks like it came from a Hurricane!

pgf_666

Users who are viewing this thread