Vacu-Form Cockpit Question

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Robert Porter

Senior Master Sergeant
I purchased a Vacu-Form cockpit for my P-38 Build (Thanks Geo!) and have a question as this is my first time messing about with these.

I had little to no difficulty in separation of the canopy from the excess. Used a very sharp knife and lots of time and care. But this leads me to my thought. I would like to pose this canopy in a partially open state, plus separating it into its components will make it easier to paint.

Are there any words of wisdom other than due care in separating the component pieces? The detail is fairly light in the canopy but it is visible. These pieces being so much thinner than their clear sprue counterparts I was concerned about attaching them to the cockpit and each other.

It's not that bad. Mask around the cut line and stuff the inside of the canopy with Plasticine or equivalent for added support. Then use a very sharp xacto or scalpel and score the cut line lightly, increasing pressure gradually on each pass til you are through.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back