Alamogordo AAF, 1943, R&R location in La Luz, NM (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Grittis

Airman
May 7, 2019
I don't know which forum is best for this question. Alamogordo AAF, 1943 was where my father and crew went through their Overseas Training Unit course. Lt. J.A. Griffith was the navigator in the Leininger B-24 crew. He was allowed off-base for destinations within 100 miles for over night stays. He and other officers stayed at 1 or more ranches in La Luz, NM, a few miles north of the city of Alamogordo. Accommodations were rustic, riding horses were available, meals were served family style and NO cots. Some officers had visiting wives or family that stayed there while their relative was stationed at the base. My father enjoyed one stay at La Luz in Oct/Nov 1943.
Q: Does anyone know of another reference to such a 'dude ranch' near Alamogordo AAF in La Luz, NM that was used for R&R by USAAF personnel during or after WWII? The local historical society could find nothing. I have my father's description and his reference to meeting one of the flight training officers while there named Ledbetter. I originally discounted the name in his narrative as a convenient place holder until recently obtaining the flight log of the bombardier on the crew and seeing Capt. Donald R. Ledbetter, Deputy Commanding officer, Air Corps as the flight log verification signatory. Circumstantial proof at best. I am looking for another airman's description of the place(s) for additional info and verification.

Most likely a Private Ranch owner that let Military personnel stay/visit during the war years, not a "business" per say.

That was a movie theme about training pilots in the desert. A very nice color movie with flying scenes, which those of you with the magic box might find the title and then the credits would give the filming location. There are also film buffs who may know of the various locations scouted for the movie.

I used to live at Holloman AFB back in the 70's and had no idea it used to be known as Alamogordo AAF. Thay have a museum there, I wonder if they could help.

Most likely a Private Ranch owner that let Military personnel stay/visit during the war years, not a "business" per say.
No price for the stay was mentioned, but after a depression and seeing as the local Army Air Field supported a bunch of men with money to spend, I doubt the stays were provided by benevolent, patriotic ranchers. Some ranchers to the south had their holdings seized for the base and bombing range. Costs something to provide services, comfortable housing, food, etc, to multiple guests at a time. I think it's unrealistic to consider it not a business.

I used to live at Holloman AFB back in the 70's and had no idea it used to be known as Alamogordo AAF. Thay have a museum there, I wonder if they could help.
They have a historical officer at the base that has been helpful, but no definite proof in any accounts. She has helped run down a couple of named officers from that era and has looked into the actual town of La Luz. Lots of answers about the 49th Wing Nighthawks and Reapers, but WWII is a bit thin. The Tularosa Basin Historical Society has nothing and says that anyone that would know has passed away (the historian's dilemma).

That was a movie theme about training pilots in the desert. A very nice color movie with flying scenes, which those of you with the magic box might find the title and then the credits would give the filming location. There are also film buffs who may know of the various locations scouted for the movie.
You may be referring to "the right stuff". It depicted a "ranch" near Edwards AB in the Ca desert which catered to the test pilots after WWII. It was built and run by the colorful 1930's pilot Florence "Pancho" Barnes. I am not aware of another film from the WWII era that showed a similar theme, but I'm sure it may be out there. Show me!

This movie is actually shot during early wartime and shows short scenes of RAF, Chinese as well as US students flying PT-17 although the aerobatic flying for the action is a Fleet biplane painted as the pt-17 color scheme. Lots of good period taxi shots and closeups. In fact, the crash scene and firefighting aircraft appears to be a Skua. A fair amount of barracks life. It is obviously a propaganda and recruiting piece to show how we are assisting our allies. The important thing is, it is in color and very good color.

This movie is actually shot during early wartime and shows short scenes of RAF, Chinese as well as US students flying PT-17 although the aerobatic flying for the action is a Fleet biplane painted as the pt-17 color scheme. Lots of good period taxi shots and closeups. In fact, the crash scene and firefighting aircraft appears to be a Skua. A fair amount of barracks life. It is obviously a propaganda and recruiting piece to show how we are assisting our allies. The important thing is, it is in color and very good color.
Does the film mention any off-base recreation destinations available to officers like La Luz or Ruidoso?

Yes. But it was supposed to be a ranch owned by the father of an old girlfriend of the new chief of instructors. Strictly movieland script but the students were invited to the ranch, so it could have been a dude ranch used by the movie crew. I will try to find the movie name. It shows on Turner Classic Movie channel from time to time, so it should be in their library.

Got it. The movie is Thunderbirds with Preston Foster. It can be found on You tube and is available on Amazon for sale.

That's great, I will check it out. That part of NM is in the Chihuahaun desert floral zone. Most movies show biotic locations in S. California.
The gov'ment pictorial is one I had missed. The base historian also did not mention it. The Ruidoso location is quite a bit higher up in the mountains above La Luz. It does say that it was open all year. It seems to meet most of the criteria... Dad was a navigator so the specific mention of La Luz seems important. "a few miles north of town (Alamogordo)" is different that miles "up in the mountains"(Ruidoso). Also, even though he was from IN, he knew the difference between "desert" and "pine forest". Hmmm, I'm not ready to abandon the La Luz connection yet, but that Ruidoso place is the best, verified candidate so far. Thanks for that!
Click on the .pdf VIEW symbol.

Click on the .pdf VIEW symbol.

Got it. The movie is Thunderbirds with Preston Foster. It can be found on You tube and is available on Amazon for sale.
The movie is set at a real AAF in the NW Phoenix, AZ area. I recognized Red Mountain in the background of the ranch scenes. Saguaro cacti mean it's in the Sonoran desert of southern AZ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back