Alclad II

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I've not used it myself, but I've seen it used and yes, it is exceptionally good.
Bear in mind however, it can only be applied by airbrush, and it needs a primer first; also, it is a touch expensive at, IIRC, about £4+ per colour.

I thought I heard use black gloss paint underneath and different shades of grays to accent panels.Then spray the Alclad and those panels show themselves,so I hear.Kevin

I'm getting to the point where I'm thinking about the final finish on my Kinetic F-86f-30. Man, what a high-quality kit. Anyway I've read a little about Alclad II but can find no one who has used it and has explained just why it is so much better than say an airbrushed Testor's Aluminum paint or similar color finish. Can someone help here before I spring for Alclad II and wish I had stuck with my tried-and-true?

I don't know if it'll help you decide, as I know that Alclad does give a superb result, if the instructions/process are followed faithfully, but, it might be worth looking at the my 'tutorial' on bare metal finishes, also on a Sabre.
You'll find it under 'Bare Metal Made Easy', here in this section.
The process described does work very well, without any special preparation.
Terry.

Excellent link M, very informative. Thanks a lot mate.
Looks very, very good, but I think I'll stick to my method - the thought of too much Cellulose going near a model gives me the heeby jeebies!!

I wouldn't use it myself Terry, it needs something to 'eat into'??

I agree M, and alhough the results are excellent, it seems an inolved (and fairly expensive) process, that can easily go wrong. I think, for me at least, my own method will do the job just as well, or nearly as well, and that's all I need.

In the way of colour for natural metal? Mainly plain aluminium or whatever they call it, with maybe a dull aluminium. Wartime Mustangs were rarely highly polished, dazzilngly shiny, as the preserved examples are today - they spent their entire lives outside which, in the ETO, based in the UK, meant they were exposed to sh*t weather most of the time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back