"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again."

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The UAF is probably lucky the Tornados were scrapped. Fabulous aircraft when everything was working, but very prone to going wrong and an absolute maintenance hog in terms of manhours.

Like most variable swing wing aircraft. Look at the F-14. At the end of its career it was a maintenance pig. Very expensive and maintenance intensive to keep them mission and airworthy.

When you see the term "loiter over the battlefield", it means "in the area, within quick access when needed".
Not literally over, or near, enemy lines.

We just watched a video of a Ukrainian Mi-24 (which is also 50 years old and travels at 200mph max.) upthread do the exact same mission and I'll be dammed - it wasn't shot down...

"Loiter" in this case doesn't mean hanging around over enemy positions, it means remaining in the area, over one's own lines, to provide prompt support if needed -- a la cab-rank Typhoons.

My understanding is that the UAF moves its planes daily from base to base.

Considering that Russian-made jet engines have a TBO of about 200-400 hours and a total life of 4,000 hours, this shuttling about must draw down on available engine hours. I wonder how many pre-war Ukrainian MiG-29s, for instance are broken down for spare parts now that replacement MiG-29s from NATO are arriving.

Last edited:
I would doubt that - how would the UAF be able to carry out combat operations if they had to migrate to a different airfield every day - it wouldn't be just the aircraft that would have to move.

I would doubt that - how would the UAF be able to carry out combat operations if they had to migrate to a different airfield every day - it wouldn't be just the aircraft that would have to move.
They operate from various locations that are not typical airfields or bases.

At one point, it was an industrial warehouse located alongside a highway, where the aircraft were parked and maintained inside during the day.

True. What I think is a platform for light anti-air defence as Oerlikon 35 mm autocannons, Avenger, and Vampire. Similar to current land-based mobile platforms.

The only alternative is F16's. Go in fast. Get out even faster. The A10 simply does not have the speed to do it.

I imagine they could integrate the mission with the move by landing in a different location. The servicing would sure be more complicated.

This article alludes to some of the issues: Ukraine Uses 'Jump Airfields' To Attack Russian Military, A Skill Taiwan's Fighters Have Been Polishing To Thwart China

Last edited:
The only alternative is F16's. Go in fast. Get out even faster. The A10 simply does not have the speed to do it.

How is it then that Frogfoots are doing okay?

F-16s are not going to be that much faster on the deck anyway. Not fast enough to baffle the radars guiding missiles, to be sure. Better hope it doesn't get hit in its single, underslung engine, too.

This is not Syria or Afghanistan. CAS airplanes will need to be robust and very careful.

Users who are viewing this thread