"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (3 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

My mind has now wandered to silly town, but could the RAF's WW2-era 22,000 lb Grand Slam bomb be converted to a JDAM? What size of a wing and what range could be expected?

Biggest glide bomb I can think of is a Russian one that weighs 1500kg/3300 lbs. That has a nominal range of either 40 or 50 km, from a release altitude of 15,000m. That's a best case glide ratio of 3.3:1, low side is 2.7:1.

Plain old JDAMs nominally have a 24km range from a release altitude of 7500m, or 30km from a release altitude of 11,000m (just under 3:1). The newer JDAM-ER glide ratio is reportedly close to 6:1. JDAM-ER is reported to have at least 74 km of range when released from an altitude of 12,000m. Some reports give range as better than 50 nautical miles/92 km, which would be a 7.5:1 glide ratio.

So, for something as heavy as a grandslam, I reckon under 3:1 glide ratio is probably the absolute best it could manage. Unless you're sticking some loooooong wings on it (which at that size and speed would just make it a target for any AD within range).

More for the big kick off of the counteroffensive, russian gains in Luhansk oblast, ukrainian ones in Donestk, russian diplomats aka spies expelled from Moldova, a T-80 with a new turret heater and a few more news:

And Vipers for the Czech Republic. Not F-16 but AH-1, to replace the remaining Mi-24/35, to be retired in september. Spare parts for Ukrainia I guess:

Why does the US produce both the Apache and the Cobra/Viper? It seems to be needless duplication. Which one would be best for Ukraine?
Maybe the USMC needs are a bit different from those of the US Army in attack helos.

Also this quote from the article maybe an important issue:

"the most modern versions of the H-1 helicopters — the AH-1Z and UH-1Y — share 85 percent of their parts, mostly in terms of powertrain, sub-systems, and to a degree, avionics."

Maybe the USMC needs are a bit different from those of the US Army in attack helos.
It must be. Though the Royal Marines make do with the British Army's Apaches. Here's the former RN assault carrier HMS Ocean.

cc18a55916a0dd2e758685e657ea7d90.jpg

Why does the US produce both the Apache and the Cobra/Viper? It seems to be needless duplication. Which one would be best for Ukraine?

The Apache replaced the AH-1 in U.S. Army service. Dunno why the Marines held on to the Cobras.

UPDATE: It seems the USMC's AH-1s were updated with folding rotors and corrosion treatment. The Apache never had those modifications, making it unsuitable for ops aboard a ship.

Last edited:
Another success for Ukrainian forces in the south...here's hoping they're close to making a decisive breakthrough that unhinges the Russian defences:

I like Putin's remarks. They remind me of Baghdad Bob. "The enemy are being repulsed with heavy casualties."
Reporter: Say, isn't that an Abrams with an American flag on it?
B.B. "We go inside now!"

Another success for Ukrainian forces in the south...here's hoping they're close to making a decisive breakthrough that unhinges the Russian defences:

I want to be optimistic, but I've got a feeling that Russian defensive obstacles, particularly minefields, are thick and deep enough to slow down any Ukrainian advances in the next month or so. That's going to take some effort to batter through.

That said, some reports out of the southern front are encouraging. Ukrainian sources are reporting advances of up to 5km on the eastern side of the town of Robotyne over the past few days. Western armour (Leo 2s and Bradleys) involved. Unfortunately, that puts them right up against the first of three layers of prepared barriers (trenches, tank obstacles and defensive strong points). Which could arrest their momentum again.

There are also Ukrainian reports of Russian armour pulling out of a number of contested towns and villages and back towards defensive positions. In the south, a column of armour got hit withdrawing from Staromaiorske (at least two tanks and three IFVs lost), and south of Robotyne at least two tanks and a couple of BMP-2s were lost. Around Bakhmut, another couple of IFVs were lost when RuAF moved out of Klishchiivka and straight into an advancing Ukrainian unit.

Last edited:
But such an action would make passage by following armoured vehicles impossible, I think.

I'm not so sure. It's an air-burst weapon that relies upon a shock/pressure-wave for its effect. It doesn't leave a crater. Little Boy, over Hiroshima, detonated at 1800' AGL, and left no crater, despite being an order of magnitude more powerful.

The mines themselves making craters? Sure, small ones which are easily crossed by tracked vehicles, which were introduced by the Brits in 1916 precisely to cross cratered terrain. Broken terrain is why tanks were introduced in the first place.

Staromayorsk, key city in Donetsk liberated. North of the Azov Sea, some 60 miles of Mariupol and 65 miles of Berdiansk. Rusia is pressing on the Oskil river and Kupiansk. M-1 Abrams due in the battlefield by september. Prigozhin in Saint Petersburg (alledgely) and some combat fotage:

Staromayorsk, key city in Donetsk liberated. North of the Azov Sea, some 60 miles of Mariupol and 65 miles of Berdiansk. Rusia is pressing on the Oskil river and Kupiansk. M-1 Abrams due in the battlefield by september. Prigozhin in Saint Petersburg (alledgely) and some combat fotage:

Even if the Ukrainians only push about 30 or 40 km further south, they could effectively cut of a large section of captured territory to Russian re-supply from the east. That would only leave routes coming north, from Crimea, as viable ground lines of communication.

Of course, that's a very big IF.

It's really unfortunate that you make this claim without context. While I, along with many, lament the state of Canada's armed forces, mention of a little-known (internationally) long term mandate announced by Minister Anand 5 months ago when things were very different only serves to further erode any negative preconceptions about our military state. To say that our minister is "focused" on those issues suggests that the pressing issues in Ukraine are taking a back seat to a long-term initiative and that's unfair.
Anand is out. I assume by Trudeau's appointment of an old white guy who once ran such a strictly hierarchal and old school organization as the Toronto police force that any focus on #metoo and diversity recruiting is now on the back burner. But is Bill Blair up to the job of driving DND's support of Ukraine? We'll find out.

The closer to the Kerch bridge the better. Its time it falls
It does seem to be a bridge too far for the Ukrainians. And kudos to the Kerch bridge designer for rapidly throwing up a bridge that is seemingly (to date) indestructible. Truck bombs, boat bombs, throw whatever you have at it, and it still stands and operates. I am reminded of the Thanh Hóa Bridge in Vietnam where as part of 1965's Operation Rolling Thunder the USAF targeted the essential bridge, launching hundreds of attacks but still took until 1972 to finally destroy the bridge - which the Vietnamese quickly rebuilt. Who would have thought that in today's age of PGMs a bridge can still hold out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back