"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (4 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ukrainian GUR tales credit for the drones attacks over Rusia, including a new attack to Shaykovka airbase of strategic bombers on Monday, new ukrainian advances near Robotyne, russians pushing to Kupiansk, Greece joins the F-16 coalition and a bunch of combat footage:

The author talks about "…the Lockheed Martin Joint Air-to-Surface Strike Missile—a two-ton stealthy cruise missile with a 230-mile range—still is on Kyiv's wish list.
They do look like beasts aboard the F-16 below. Let's get these to Ukraine now, along with ATACMS. And down goes the Kerch bridge.

200427-F-ZU869-0001.jpg

On a slightly different tack I am very surprised that Ukraine haven't asked for more attack helicopters, even of the AH1 variety.

Interesting point. Any ideas here why Ukraine isn't pushing for attack helicopters? There must be plenty of them around. Are they obsolete on the modern battlefield?

Interesting point. Any ideas here why Ukraine isn't pushing for attack helicopters? There must be plenty of them around. Are they obsolete on the modern battlefield?
Apparently the Russian Kamovs are causing a lot of trouble for the Ukrainians. The Kamovs are not having an easy war, but they are seeing success in killing Ukrainian vehicles since due to SAM risk, Ukraine's MiGs and Sukhois cannot effectively operate close to the front lines. The Kamovs need only fear MANPADS over the front, which cannot be everywhere.

Once Ukraine has its F-16s they'll be able to detect and pick off the Kamovs beyond the range of Russian SAMs.

Last edited:

Hmm, "The U.S. State Department has approved the potential sale of AH-64E Apache helicopters and related equipment to Poland in a deal valued at up to $12 billion, the Pentagon said on Monday.'

"The US State Department has at last approved a Foreign Military Sale to furnish Poland's Armed Forces with 96 AH-64E Apache helicopters. The US and Poland originally conceived the purchase in September last year."

"With the AH-64E in production until at least 2028, Boeing anticipates the Apache serving the US Army and its partner nations into the 2060s."

Umm, so anyway, why so few helicopters to Ukraine?

Umm, so anyway, why so few helicopters to Ukraine?
It is interesting that the only NATO-designed helicopters sent to Ukraine since the war began were a trio of retired former Royal Navy Sea Kings, stripped of their ASW gear and converted to transports. Mind you, lots of Russian-designed helicopters have been sent to Ukraine, including the USA's fleet of MiLs originally used in Afghanistan, plus many from former Warsaw Pact countries.

KYIV, Aug 22 (Reuters) - Ukraine said on Tuesday its troops had entered the strategic southeastern village of Robotyne, a potentially significant advance in its counteroffensive against Russian forces.

Deputy Defence Minister Hanna Maliar said on the Telegram messaging app that Ukrainian soldiers were organising the evacuation of civilians after entering Robotyne but were still coming under fire from Russian forces.

"Our soldiers in the village of Robotyne," General Oleksandr Tarnavskyi, commander of Ukrainian forces in the south, wrote on Telegram under a picture of a soldier in a tank.

Robotyne is 10 km (six miles) south of the frontline town of Orikhiv in the Zaporizhzhia region on an important road towards Tokmak, a Russian-occupied road and rail hub.

Tokmak's capture would be a milestone as Ukrainian troops press southwards towards the Sea of Azov, a military push intended to split Russian occupying forces.

The Institute for the Study of War, an American research group and think tank, has described the Ukrainian attacks on Robotyne as "tactically significant". Advancing in the area could enable Ukrainian forces to begin operating beyond the densest of the Russian minefields that have held up the counteroffensive launched in early June, it said.

Robotyne is about 40 km southeast of Zaporizhia.

KYIV, Aug 22 (Reuters) - Ukraine said on Tuesday its troops had entered the strategic southeastern village of Robotyne, a potentially significant advance in its counteroffensive against Russian forces.

Deputy Defence Minister Hanna Maliar said on the Telegram messaging app that Ukrainian soldiers were organising the evacuation of civilians after entering Robotyne but were still coming under fire from Russian forces.

"Our soldiers in the village of Robotyne," General Oleksandr Tarnavskyi, commander of Ukrainian forces in the south, wrote on Telegram under a picture of a soldier in a tank.

Robotyne is 10 km (six miles) south of the frontline town of Orikhiv in the Zaporizhzhia region on an important road towards Tokmak, a Russian-occupied road and rail hub.

Tokmak's capture would be a milestone as Ukrainian troops press southwards towards the Sea of Azov, a military push intended to split Russian occupying forces.

The Institute for the Study of War, an American research group and think tank, has described the Ukrainian attacks on Robotyne as "tactically significant". Advancing in the area could enable Ukrainian forces to begin operating beyond the densest of the Russian minefields that have held up the counteroffensive launched in early June, it said.

Robotyne is about 40 km southeast of Zaporizhia.
I liked reading "tactically significant" on ISW last night with respect to advances around Robotyne. Very good news and sounds good to me.

"ISW previously assessed that Ukrainian attacks on Robotyne are tactically significant because a Ukrainian advance in the area may allow Ukrainian forces to begin operating past the densest Russian minefields."

I liked reading "tactically significant" on ISW last night with respect to advances around Robotyne. Very good news and sounds good to me.

"ISW previously assessed that Ukrainian attacks on Robotyne are tactically significant because a Ukrainian advance in the area may allow Ukrainian forces to begin operating past the densest Russian minefields."

It looks like they're driving towards Melitopol.

Agreed. And once the Ukrainians are through the worst minefields I can envision a wave of Leopards, Challengers, Bradleys, Marders, CV90s, Gepards, Stormers, et al roaring across southern Ukraine towards Melitopol. Only the Russian air force could stop them then.

I sure hope they can exploit this movement. I also hope the Ukrainians can bring in medium and long-range SAMs to kill the Russian heloes this would surely draw out of the woodwork.

I sure hope they can exploit this movement. I also hope the Ukrainians can bring in medium and long-range SAMs to kill the Russian heloes this would surely draw out of the woodwork.
I wonder how many Kamovs are left in Russian service?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back