"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (9 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

So unless the Western Media has combat leadership experience or would like to volunteer with the Ukrainian Army, they should stop with their "expert" criticism.
It's not unusual for those that are fronting the material or financial backing of a project offer otherwise useless advice. If Ukraine doesn't want the advice they don't have to take the kit or cash. I suggest Ukraine keep the materials and financing and just ignore the useless advice.

Better watch out Elon. You'll end up nationalized if you're not careful.

The Act currently contains three major sections. The first authorizes the president to require businesses to accept and prioritize contracts for materials deemed necessary for national defense, regardless of a loss incurred on business. Any person who performs any act prohibited or willfully fails to perform any act required by the Defense Production Act may be charged with a felony.

Better watch out Elon. You'll end up nationalized if you're not careful.

The Act currently contains three major sections. The first authorizes the president to require businesses to accept and prioritize contracts for materials deemed necessary for national defense, regardless of a loss incurred on business. Any person who performs any act prohibited or willfully fails to perform any act required by the Defense Production Act may be charged with a felony.
doesn't apply. - key words are "Deemed necessary for National Defense"

doesn't apply. - key words are "Deemed necessary for National Defense"
Is that true? The government decides what's National Defense. I imagine if the artillery manufacturers in the USA told the government we're not interested in ramping up production for Ukraine's sake, that a similar Defense Act kick would come. And if that Act does not apply, the government will find another, or just seize the Starlink company entirely. Or, just cancel all those government-funded Space X projects and maybe force a recall on all Teslas due to "battery fires".

Last edited:
Is that true? The government decides what's National Defense. I imagine if the artillery manufacturers in the USA told the government we're not interested in ramping up production for Ukraine's sake, that a similar Defense Act kick would come. And if that Act does not apply, the government will find another. Or, just cancel all those Space X projects and maybe force a recall on all Teslas.
I'm not a lawyer, and that is only a wiki summary, but I think it would be almost impossible for the gov't to claim that one particular type of satellite communication/data service used in Europe is essential to the USA's national self defense.

i doubt there's a legally punitive avenue. But there's always the PR element. That's probably driving this revelation. If using his services means accepting his veto, other nations may well forgo relying upon his network, meaning less money into his coffers.
You don't think the several investigations targeting Space X, Tesla, and the app formerly known as Twitter are punitive?

You don't think the several investigations targeting Space X, Tesla, and the app formerly known as Twitter are punitive?

No.

I think they are the result of very questionable practices at Tesla and especially at Twit X.

Space X may or may not have also undertaken questionable activities. I do not follow Space X, or any other space activity, so I have no idea - and happy to keep ignoring it in future.

Last edited:
I'm not a lawyer, and that is only a wiki summary, but I think it would be almost impossible for the gov't to claim that one particular type of satellite communication/data service used in Europe is essential to the USA's national self defense.

Actually, I can see such a scenario. Can't go into details here, I'm afraid, but I can easily see how such a claim might be made given some of the complexities involved in SATCOM use and denial, and the criticality of SATCOM for long-range comms.

No.

I think they are the result of very questionable practices at Tesla and especially at Twit X.

Space X may or may not have also undertaken questionable activities. I do not follow Space X, or any other space activity, so I have no idea - and happy to keep ignoring it in future.

Space X is being taken to court by the DOJ for refusing to hire asylees (people granted asylum in the US) and refugees.

SpaceX claims that the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) required it to hire only 'US citizens'.

The problem with that is that asylees and refugees count as 'US persons' for the purposes of ITAR/EAR. That category includes 'a US citizen or national, a lawful permanent resident, a refugee, or an asylee' as stated in the laws. Thus SpaceX isn't allowed to discriminate against them.

There some irony here in that it was the DOJ under Musk's pal Trump that started the investigation. DOJ filing has got public statements going back to 2015 and specific employment complaints from 2018 all the way up to November 2022. What's even worse is that when SpaceX was informed it was under investigation for potential violations (in 2020), it still continued with the same behaviour.

These are never slam dunk cases - it's really hard to prove state of mind and intention. But, it's nearly as close as you can get in a matter like this.

Space X is being taken to court by the DOJ for refusing to hire asylees (people granted asylum in the US) and refugees.

SpaceX claims that the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) required it to hire only 'US citizens'.

The problem with that is that asylees and refugees count as 'US persons' for the purposes of ITAR/EAR. That category includes 'a US citizen or national, a lawful permanent resident, a refugee, or an asylee' as stated in the laws. Thus SpaceX isn't allowed to discriminate against them.

There some irony here in that it was the DOJ under Musk's pal Trump that started the investigation. DOJ filing has got public statements going back to 2015 and specific employment complaints from 2018 all the way up to November 2022. What's even worse is that when SpaceX was informed it was under investigation for potential violations (in 2020), it still continued with the same behaviour.

These are never slam dunk cases - it's really hard to prove state of mind and intention. But, it's nearly as close as you can get in a matter like this.

If SpaceX's defence is that ITAR demands that they hire US citizens, then they will lose. I worked a programme in the US for a number of years that was ITAR-controlled. I ultimately became the task leader and yet I wasn't a citizen of the US at the time.

I'm sure SpaceX's arguments will be more complicated/convoluted but the fundamental premise that ITAR requires US citizenship is false.

What's Musk's motivation for denying service to Ukraine and annoying the White House, State Department, Pentagon and Congress? And inversely, where's the downside for Musk for offering service and cooperation to them all?

What's Musk's motivation for denying service to Ukraine and annoying the White House, State Department, Pentagon and Congress? And inversely, where's the downside for Musk for offering service and cooperation to them all?
According to one report, after a long talk with Putin and his mates, Musk was worried that Russia would consider his supply of Starlink for Ukrainian attacks on Crimea grounds to start ww3 which is why he cut it off when the Ukrainians were attacking Sebastapol.

Maybe he should consider what the effect on his bottom would be if the US military tomorrow declared Starlink a unreliable contractor, cancelled all existing US contracts and refused to provide Starlink with any future contracts.

Maybe he should consider what the effect on his bottom would be if the US military tomorrow declared Starlink a unreliable contractor, cancelled all existing US contracts and refused to provide Starlink with any future contracts.
It's as if Musk looked at Howard Hughes and said, that's my model for life and business decisions.

Though Hughes helped the CIA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back