"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (6 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I agree. I'm still surprised by the lack of a doppler proximity fuse.

There's radar proximity fuses for 40mm class weapons, but they're probably prohibitively expensive for Ukraine. In 2019, a 40mm programmable shell with a proximity fuse was about $1900-2500 per shell, whereas a conventional air burst shell was in the $350-400 range and a fully programmable 40mm with a multi-option fuse was about $800-1100 per shell.

With a small caliber, rapid firing autocannon, that has radar direction and ranging and electronic shell fusing, conventional air burst aren't too inferior to proximity fuses.

AHEAD for the 35mm Gepard is pretty impressive:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdwjcayPuag

My understanding is that the first batches of Gepards as originally delivered were not capable of using the AHEAD ammunition, but the last batch was capable as delivered, and most (maybe all) of the previous batches of Gepards delivered have been upgraded. However, there is a question as to how many AHEAD rounds have been delivered to Ukraine.

If the Slinger systems work to spec they will be useful. In effect they will be less capable Gepards with a single 30mm chain gun. There are also several AHEAD and proximity fuzed rounds produced in 30mm.

Last edited:
The Taliban are only an effective fighting force if they're fighting terrified civilians - there is no real comparison.
Well, they expelled the US military and its allies through two decades steadfast opposition. The Afghans needn't defeat the Americans in battle, but only make the cost of continued US occupation too costly in American lives and tax money. The Ukrainians should be so lucky against the Russians, though hopefully in a quarter of the time or less.

Users who are viewing this thread