"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (6 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

With it already been said that this should've happened at least a year ago, I imagine that the Ukrainian pilots will be far better trained and equipped than their Soviet Wannabe counterparts. I'm glad Ukraine is getting at least some upgraded F-16s. I was afraid they were getting bare bones versions only.
I had a thought (I know, right?). Drones are best used in swarm attacks. Let's send Ukraine a bunch of QF-16s. They send 'em up during a swarm attack. Hilarity ensues.

Not without what may prove to be the world's largest accumulation of counterbattery-resistant mineclearing and breaching capability. Otherwise Vipers and better ATACMS can only continue the AFU's 2023 dual strategy of slowing/stopping Russian offensives and hitting supply/leadership/naval targets in the rear.

Ukraine has the tanks, IFVs and men ready to move forward. It's breaching capability (and its protection from the air via SAMs, Vipers, MiGs, Sukhois and drones) that's desperately needed.

This war will not be won in Eastern Ukraine. That ground simply is not that vital.

Of course that means expanded mine clearance capabilities. But the offensive will most likely go south/southeast even if those capabilities aren't up to snuff.

With it already been said that this should've happened at least a year ago, I imagine that the Ukrainian pilots will be far better trained and equipped than their Soviet Wannabe counterparts. I'm glad Ukraine is getting at least some upgraded F-16s. I was afraid they were getting bare bones versions only.
I had a thought (I know, right?). Drones are best used in swarm attacks. Let's send Ukraine a bunch of QF-16s. They send 'em up during a swarm attack. Hilarity ensues.
Interesting idea.
"Boeing received a $28.5m contract to convert 25 retired F-16 fighters into QF-16 FSATs, in March 2015. It was further awarded a $34.39m modification contract in March for the delivery of 30 QF-16 FSATs and associated drone-peculiar equipment"
If/when there is a support infrastructure for F-16 in Ukraine, a fleet of QF-16s could be useful. Subject there are available airframes.

Recent comments by General Valery Zaluzhny, Ukraine's military Commander-in-Chief, that "there will most likely be no deep and beautiful breakthrough" of Russian lines soon dashed many hopes that an end game was near. As the war's second anniversary approaches in February, today's narrative has devolved into one of stalemate and the conflict becoming a protracted war of attrition.

Yet, major conflicts over the last century indicate that modern wars are seldom short and bloodless. Moreover, breakthrough operations—an attacker's ability to penetrate an enemy's fixed defenses in depth—are second only to amphibious assaults (from the sea) in their complexity and difficulty. In both cases, a diverse number of "near-miracles" must occur for either to succeed. Appreciating such operational complexity is a prerequisite to managing political, military, and domestic expectations.

Read more:

'In the extraordinary security situation resulting from Russia's war of aggression, it is crucial that we continue to support Ukraine. Support for Ukraine is important for Norwegian and European security...'

It's because we didn't get off our collective backsides a year or so ago and ship Ukraine what it needed.
Had Ukraine in 2014, instead of fleeing from or collaborating with the Russians, fought for Crimea like they did for Kyiv in 2022 the West might have expedited more weaponry and kit earlier. Many in the West expected Ukraine in 2022 to fold like Ukraine in 2014. Instead, they surprised us all with their tenacity, and have been rewarded with $ billions in aid since. But that's all water under the bridge, let's give Ukraine what it needs for 2024-2025.

Recent comments by General Valery Zaluzhny, Ukraine's military Commander-in-Chief, that "there will most likely be no deep and beautiful breakthrough" of Russian lines soon dashed many hopes that an end game was near. As the war's second anniversary approaches in February, today's narrative has devolved into one of stalemate and the conflict becoming a protracted war of attrition.
I wish he'd not used the term, as "stalemate" doesn't really apply. Stalemate refers to the situation in chess where the player whose turn it is has no legal move. This means the player is stuck, not because they lack the resources, but because the rules strictly control how those resources can be used. Also, in chess, when in Stalemate you cannot add more pieces.

Ukraine is not thusly limited. They can add more resources or move resources around in whatever way they want, with the only "rule" being that they not use Western kit to strike Russia proper. That's not a Stalemate.

Last edited:
I wish he'd note used the term, as "stalemate" doesn't really apply. Stalemate refers to the situation in chess where the player whose turn it is has no legal move. This means the player is stuck, not because they lack the resources, but because the rules strictly control how those resources can be used. Also, in chess, when in Stalemate you cannot add more pieces.

Ukraine is not thusly limited. They can add more resources or move resources around in whatever way they want, with the only "rule" being that they not use Western kit to strike Russia proper. That's not a Stalemate.

In chess stalemate refers to a situation not where no legal move is possible, but rather where the only possible move results in a situation where the answering move forces the stalemated player back to the original position and then countered again forcing the same move again. After this happens three times consecutively the game is declared stalemated.

This is a minor niggle and doesn't obviate your point, which is sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back