"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again."

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

This has the benefit of both providing Ukraine with what she needs, but also bolstering various nations with new munitions in most likely larger numbers that were had previously.

Not to mention creating good manufacturing jobs in the providing nations. Many modern munitions contain a lot of high-tech wizardry and so a lot of those manufacturing jobs are of higher quality/pay.

It's all down to how political leaders message to their populaces. The message "We're funding the war in Ukraine but we can't do that indefinitely" drives the agenda in one direction while "We're defending freedom while, at the same time, bolstering our own defences by replacing old/obsolescent stock with new replacements, and that's generating good manufacturing jobs here at home" sends a very different message.

Last edited:

I also think the public is starting to tire of the war and it's starting to be reflected in the news. The majority of the media is in complete lockstep and I think in the end, right or wrong, their group opinion will prevail.
The public might tire largely because they have been fed a steady diet of short term style thinking. The last 30 odd years of wars hasn't helped here but I feel that too many in the media are also to blame since news has become more entertainment and they want to find the 'new thing'. Certain politicians are also the same. It is up to true leaders and others to stay the course.

Can you imagine what the result would have been if modern style thinking had prevailed in WWII? The Phoney War would have been a true test and by the time we got to the end of the Battle of Britain, people would have been saying "why doesn't Britain just negotiate a deal with Germany...after all it's not like Europe and the Jews etc are our problem...".
Is it a coincidence that Israel is at war, and the risk of us getting drawn in grows daily?
I certainly don't think it is a coincidence. I am sure Russia, via Iran, is behind the Gaza situation and the West has allowed themselves to be played here. I also think that Russia is trying for similar 'distractions' both political and otherwise around the world. Unfortunately, Putin has plenty of useful idiots/wannabe fascists more than willing to help.
Is it a coincidence that China is growing more belligerent daily and flies massive numbers of military aircraft into Taiwans airspace? The amount of US supplies getting pushed into UKR means they aren't available for our use elsewhere. Are we getting played?
China is an interesting one. I think we can all acknowledge that had Ukraine fallen quickly then Taiwan would have been attacked by now. the fact that it didn't has forced China to rethink. That said, China is playing a different game and any associated conflict will be a different one - more Air-Sea than ground. They also know that the ramp up (both in terms of military capabilities/capacities and political resolve) to support Ukraine actually helps Taiwan too. In this regard, I suspect there are a few senior Chinese officials who would quietly like to see the Ukraine war over.

The public might tire largely because they have been fed a steady diet of short term style thinking. The last 30 odd years of wars hasn't helped here but I feel that too many in the media are also to blame since news has become more entertainment and they want to find the 'new thing'. Certain politicians are also the same. It is up to true leaders and others to stay the course.
We have a winner folks.

As mentioned earlier, the bulk of material going to Ukraine, are older and were pulled out of interim storage.

The US M2/3 Bradley AFVs, for example, were drawn out of retired stocks. The current Bradleys in U.S. service are intended to be replaced by the finalized XM30 product of the Army's MICV program.
Ukraine has received 190 Bradleys out of just about 7,000 manufactured.

In the case of the U.S. Army TACMs (ATACAM), they are the older version (M39) drawn from storage.
The USN will not part with any of their current or stored TACM stocks, as they have stated that all are ear-marked for "potential use in the Pacific".

The M1 Abrams tanks heading to Ukraine, are the older M1A1 version, which are also being drawn from storage.

The same goes for other nations, who are donating older Leopard tanks or in the case of the F-16, which is in the process of being replaced.

Another example, is old artillery stocks, which has the benefit of jump-starting new and accelerated production. This has the benefit of both providing Ukraine with what she needs, but also bolstering various nations with new munitions in most likely larger numbers that were had previously.

... and much like lend-lease before we entered WWII, this also funds further investment in defense plant here in America, leaving us better-positioned for future production.

Since 02/24/22, I have seen/heard a lot of appalling things coming out of this war. This is one of the worst - a soldier telling his enemies to kill his comrade. As the article points out, this is utterly anathema to any concept of camaraderie. When the war started I thought that desecribing the Russians as 'orcs' was hyperbole. Now I tihnk it was prescient.

... and much like lend-lease before we entered WWII, this also funds further investment in defense plant here in America, leaving us better-positioned for future production.

Agree to a point...but a fair amount of funding for defence plant in the US came from overseas contracts. The UK, in particular, was buying A LOT of materiel from the US using national gold reserves prior to Lend Lease.

Since 02/24/22, I have seen/heard a lot of appalling things coming out of this war. This is one of the worst - a soldier telling his enemies to kill his comrade. As the article points out, this is utterly anathema to any concept of camaraderie. When the war started I thought that desecribing the Russians as 'orcs' was hyperbole. Now I tihnk it was prescient.
Agreed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back