"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Another of Putins allies seems to have had an accident of some sort. What I find difficult to understand is that these are his allies, people who seem to have been doing a good job (from his perspective)

Zoya Konovalova, aged 48, known as the head of a propaganda channel linked to Russian President Vladimir Putin, was found dead in her home.
The circumstances surrounding her death have raised questions, given her prominent role in the media landscape connected to the Russian government. Konovalova has been a notable figure in Russian media, particularly in channels that are known to disseminate information favoring the Kremlin's viewpoints. Her involvement in these channels had made her a significant part of the state's media apparatus.
The discovery of her death in her residence has prompted an investigation, as officials seek to determine the cause. Given her high-profile position and the sensitive nature of her work, the incident has attracted considerable attention both within Russia and internationally.

This development comes amidst a complex backdrop of media control and propaganda within Russia, where the government heavily influences public information. Konovalova's role in this system had been crucial, and her sudden death adds a layer of intrigue and speculation about the internal workings of state-controlled media in Russia

Maybe she had drinks with the Azov ladies and consumed more than was wise. Good result whatever the cause

What a crap article.

Yes, the last bill that was passed has reached it's limit for funding.

The new bill (which is being hijacked - as usual - by "pork bellies") hasn't passed yet.

But in the larger picture, they are not "out of money" - the aid to Ukraine is a small fraction of the overall budget and a large share of the equipment being sent has long since been payed for and would most likely be sold or donated to other countries.

I honestly think that "journalists" who post articles like this should be beat with a rubber hose filled with sand.

NEAR KUPIANSK, Ukraine, Jan 11 (Reuters) - Rows of white concrete barricades and coils of razor wire stretch across an open field for more than a kilometre. Trenches with rudimentary living quarters are being dug under cover of darkness. Artillery rumbles not far away.

New defensive lines visited by Reuters near the northeastern city of Kupiansk on Dec. 28 show how Ukraine has stepped up construction of fortifications in recent months as it shifts its military operations against Russia to a more defensive footing.

The defences, which bear some similarities to those rolled out in the Russian-occupied south and east, aim to help Ukraine weather assaults while regenerating its forces as Moscow takes the battlefield initiative, military analysts said.

"As soon as the troops are moving, traversing fields, you can do without fortifications. But when the troops stop, you need to immediately dig into the ground," a Ukrainian army engineer with the call sign Lynx told Reuters near Kupiansk.

President Volodymyr Zelenskiy announced that Ukraine was "significantly enhancing" fortifications on Nov. 28 after a counteroffensive that it launched in June was unable to rapidly punch through Russian lines.

Kyiv says it is unswayed in its ambition to retake all remaining occupied territory, but for now is focused on politically sensitive conscription reforms to replenish manpower and on addressing artillery shortages at the front.

Russia has been ramping up offensive pressure around eastern towns such as Kupiansk, Lyman and Avdiivka, and no longer needs to hold back its reserve troops for fear of a possible Ukrainian breakthrough, the military analysts said.

NEAR KUPIANSK, Ukraine, Jan 11 (Reuters) - Rows of white concrete barricades and coils of razor wire stretch across an open field for more than a kilometre. Trenches with rudimentary living quarters are being dug under cover of darkness. Artillery rumbles not far away.

New defensive lines visited by Reuters near the northeastern city of Kupiansk on Dec. 28 show how Ukraine has stepped up construction of fortifications in recent months as it shifts its military operations against Russia to a more defensive footing.

The defences, which bear some similarities to those rolled out in the Russian-occupied south and east, aim to help Ukraine weather assaults while regenerating its forces as Moscow takes the battlefield initiative, military analysts said.

"As soon as the troops are moving, traversing fields, you can do without fortifications. But when the troops stop, you need to immediately dig into the ground," a Ukrainian army engineer with the call sign Lynx told Reuters near Kupiansk.

President Volodymyr Zelenskiy announced that Ukraine was "significantly enhancing" fortifications on Nov. 28 after a counteroffensive that it launched in June was unable to rapidly punch through Russian lines.

Kyiv says it is unswayed in its ambition to retake all remaining occupied territory, but for now is focused on politically sensitive conscription reforms to replenish manpower and on addressing artillery shortages at the front.

Russia has been ramping up offensive pressure around eastern towns such as Kupiansk, Lyman and Avdiivka, and no longer needs to hold back its reserve troops for fear of a possible Ukrainian breakthrough, the military analysts said.

I feel that if Ukraine defending very well. If they just keep Russians from advancing for a little longer they could probably for a surrender. The only issue I see is cruise missiles and artillery

I feel that if Ukraine defending very well. If they just keep Russians from advancing for a little longer they could probably for a surrender. The only issue I see is cruise missiles and artillery

I think the Ukrainians will need to forcibly expel Russian troops for this war to end. The other scenario I could see would be Putin being deposed due to the war getting long and turning into a quagmire -- but that, I think, will take years.

I think the Ukrainians will need to forcibly expel Russian troops for this war to end. The other scenario I could see would be Putin being deposed due to the war getting long and turning into a quagmire -- but that, I think, will take years.
Yes, but would'nt the russians eventually run out of armor to use against the ukrainians? In modern warfare armor is key or am I wrong

Yes, but would'nt the russians eventually run out of armor to use against the ukrainians? In modern warfare armor is key or am I wrong

The Russians still have a few thousand tanks in backstock. Those tanks won't help punch through the defenses mentioned in the article I quoted, anyway; such defenses are ideally penetrated by infantry, after which armor is fed into the gap for exploitation.

This war will be much more about artillery and drones, imo.

The Russians still have a few thousand tanks in backstock. Those tanks won't help punch through the defenses mentioned in the article I quoted, anyway; such defenses are ideally penetrated by infantry, after which armor is fed into the gap for exploitation.

This war will be much more about artillery and drones, imo.
Could you also include standoff weapons?

Could you also include standoff weapons?

Of course. Drones are standoff too.

My point is that I don't think an infantry/tank assault will be decisive unless and until the Ukrainians use arty, drones, longer-range missiles, etc to destroy Russian logistic nodes. The Ukrainians seem to understand this, which is why all three routes into Crimea (seaborne, Kerch bridge, overland rail) are under regular attack.

And here's a similar view:

Is invading Ukraine and destroying their own economy the worst miscalculation in Russia's history? Others could be provoking war with Japan in 1904, or war with Germany in 1914, or the 1939 Molotov–Ribbentrop Pact, or purging its officer corps just before Barbarossa in 1941? Any others? Had cooling heads in London not prevailed, Russia's attacking of British shipping in 1904 might have made the list.
Good question, though I would not include the M-R Pact in the list: from Stalin's perspective, it bought precious time. Germany was temporarily sidelined as a threat, allowing Stalin the opportunity to get really busy with another priority: purging his military leadership. That turned out well......

"By providing our support, we cannot prevent the destruction of facilities on the territory of the aggressor in order to slow down the advance of Russian troops. And therefore there should be no restrictions on the weapons that are transferred to Ukraine,"

Estonian President Alar Karis.

That's the attitude.
I always though that the "don't use ATACMS / Storm Shadow / put your favorite weapon on Russian territory" is a stupid constraint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back