"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (7 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It's a good source, indeed.
A similar one about German military aid, updated today:

''...The top Republican in Congress, House of Representatives Speaker Mike Johnson has not put a Senate bill for new funding for Ukraine up to a vote. After Navalny's death, he said the U.S. and its allies should use "every means available to cut off Putin's ability to fund his unprovoked war in Ukraine and aggression against the Baltic states..."

"...History's watching the House of Representatives. The failure to support Ukraine at this critical moment will never be forgotten," Biden said...''

I have to say the first quote made my skin crawl, how pathetic

This reeks of politics for a couple of reasons. First there is a large block (probably a significan majority) of American citizens that consider the invasion of our country from the South with no seeming end and no support form the Administration to make it end, is unacceptable.

Second, the House is the Constitutional source of all public funding. The House sent a bill to the Senate which included massive funding for Israel and Ukraine and modest funding for Border Security and told the Administration that all three were a requirement to pass the House.

The Senate ignored the House and Johnson's intructioned the Senate to maintain the integrity of the Bill - which of course the Senate ignored and now playing 'chicken' thinking aid for Ukraine/Israel trumps citizen fear of the massive jailbreak along the Rio Grande.

To those that are ouraged at the actions of our House of Representatives, I suggest a second option. Declare War against Russia, drag all our allies into a near certain nuclear confrontation with Putin - and kiss civilization as we know it forever goodbye, globally. That IS the end game of our current path.

I have no doubt that we will 'win', but not smart enough to know what that means.

I do know that the House must be united - one way or the other - and do everything in its power to ensure that one man may not be permitted to make a unilateral decision.

I do know that the House must be united - one way or the other - and do everything in its power to ensure that one man may not be permitted to make a unilateral decision.

I agree with your last sentence but many Americans believe that one man, in this case meaning Speaker Johnson, is correct in using his power to unilaterally veto a vote passed overwhelmingly by the senate and further unilaterally veto the house debating and voting on the same act.

I do not know if that is just utter stupidity or rank hypocrisy.

Given Johnson's statement the U.S. and its allies should use "every means available to cut off Putin's ability to fund his unprovoked war in Ukraine and aggression against the Baltic states..." the hypocrisy of Johnson, and all those who agree with him, is obvious to anyone with an IQ greater than their shoe size.

Last edited:
If you think Johnson is acting beyond his authorized power - he is not. Same with Schumer. Both are far short of Nancy Pelosi.

Johnson is Not the one man I am worried about

Not meaning to be political here (only posting this for the sake of accuracy) the following statement is attributed to House Speaker Mike Johnson by at least 12 reputable news organizations, from PBS, CNN, FOX, WSJ, etc.

16 February 2024 AM

Statement released by House Speaker Mike Johnson

"Vladimir Putin is a vicious dictator and the world knows he is likely directly responsible for the sudden death of his most prominent political opponent, Alexei Navalny. Putin has shown his willingness to use extreme measures, including the use of radioactive material, to attack his enemies and expand his power.

If confirmed, this action is emblematic of Putin's global pattern of silencing critics and eliminating opponents out of fear of dissent. This is the latest attempt to send a message to those working to confront Moscow's aggression.

In the coming days, as international leaders are meeting in Munich, we must be clear that Putin will be met with united opposition. As Congress debates the best path forward to support Ukraine, the United States, and our partners, must be using every means available to cut off Putin's ability to fund his unprovoked war in Ukraine and aggression against the Baltic states."

Troops are withdrawing from the besieged city of Avdiivka in eastern Ukraine, the Ukrainian armed forces said on Friday.

Ukraine's General Staff of the Armed Forces said it was withdrawing to "save the lives and health of soldiers" and to move to a more favorable position.

Avdiivka has become a key battleground in the war in the past few months as Russian forces have assaulted the position as part of an overall strategy to take the rest of the Donetsk region in Ukraine.

This story is developing.

Looking at recent history gives a decent perspective on responsibilities and who is taking them.

Before World War II Britain was the worlds policeman - from around 1800 on.

Since World War II the United States has had the role.

Others have been happy to let that happen while some countries have always visibly backed US actions.

Many European countries have not pulled their weight over time, nor have they invested in being able to.

Media hoo ha about US involvement is just that. Divisive politicking from both sides.

What really matters now is for EU countries, which together have a GDP of 72% of the US, to actually spend
more in every way to back Ukraine. Western Europe is far closer to Ukraine than the United States and needs
to take full responsibility for the outcome.

They are still counting on us to fulfill our role as the "arsenal of democracy". I could say more, but it would be a partisan rant, bordering on conspiracy theory.

Again, with the intent to help with accuracy, and not to be political.

re
What really matters now is for EU countries, which together have a GDP of 72% of the US, to actually spend
more in every way to back Ukraine.

From the start of the Ukraine war on 24 February 2022 to 31 October 2023, the US has committed ~44 billion Euro of military aid for Ukraine, while NATO (not including the US) - with a GDP 72% that of the US - has committed over ~47 billion Euro of military aid for Ukraine.

The above is the last date that I have specific figures for.

If you want to know the total amount spent on Ukraine by the US as of 1 February 2024 - including non-military aid - it comes to about $75 billion. I do not have current figures re non-military aid for the rest of NATO.

Maybe someone else has more up to date & comprehensive numbers?

FWIW the current 15 February 2024 amount being quoted re the amount of military aid committed by NATO - not including the US - is equal to about $55 billion US. This is the latest amount I have heard presented by the DOD and was the amount quoted by Senator McConnell yesterday. McConnell is a current member of the Senate Defense Appropriations Subcommittee.

Last edited:
re

Biggest bang for the buck?

Users who are viewing this thread