"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again."

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I gave this some thought and I may have hurt myself.
What's the Cessna that looks like a 172 but has retractable landing gear? The Sky Wagon? Seating for gunner/observers. The LG is out of the way and only one thin strut to obscure arcs of fire. High wing won't obscure visibility as (I believe) the Cessna has a better performance envelope and will be looking down for targets. Stowage for small arms ammo AND lunch. Way cheaper than those cool COIN planes. There's probably a few available already there, or near enough.

I gave this some thought and I may have hurt myself.
What's the Cessna that looks like a 172 but has retractable landing gear? The Sky Wagon? Seating for gunner/observers. The LG is out of the way and only one thin strut to obscure arcs of fire. High wing won't obscure visibility as (I believe) the Cessna has a better performance envelope and will be looking down for targets. Stowage for small arms ammo AND lunch. Way cheaper than those cool COIN planes. There's probably a few available already there, or near enough.
Are you talking about the 172RG Cutlass RG?

ims_F172RG_Cutlass_RG_II_CS-DAG_Aeroplano_low_pass.jpg

I wonder which light planes might be good at drone dropping. Is Rosie the Rocketer available for a comeback performance?
It really depends upon which sort of drone you are looking at. Looking at the speeds of some of the common ones in use by the Russians:
  • HESA Shahed 136: Speed ~185km/h
  • ZALA Lancet: Speed 110km/h
  • Orlan-10: Speed 150km/h
  • Typical Quad rotor: 25 - 50km/
Therefore, one would struggle with some of the faster aircraft options. This is why jet fighters are often a bad choice for countering such drones. While some fixed wing prop aircraft might have a role, perhaps a helicopter or even other drone would be a better choice. Though again, it also depends where the interception is happening. If close to the battle front, I would tend towards other drones or ground based systems. If behind the lines by a safe distance, perhaps the helicopter option but again, I would tend towards other drones or ground systems.

Cessna 210, often used by skydivers, has a very large right side removable door, which gives total cabin access, leaving only pilot's seat inside. Enough room for even a tripod mounted weapon, then the danger of shooting off the strut or worse.

IMG_2318.png

After a quick look, this was the priciest one I could find. How much does an AH-1 or an AT-802U cost? How much ground support does each aircraft require? How specialized is the ground support required and will it require ground crew pulled from other combat aircraft to maintain? How skilled must a pilot be to qualify in each aircraft?
We're drone plinking. A retired pilot and a couple of retired reservists could carry out the mission..and with style and panache.
You guys scoffed when I said we should send M-113s to Ukraine.

Last edited:
An AH-1 or AT-802U can defend themselves if pressed, they can also conduct GA enemy suppression if an urgent call comes down the line from trapped ground forces.

A Cessna (or Piper or Beech) will be completely helpless if confronted by an enemy air asset (fixed or rotary) since there is no clear air supremacy over the front lines.

The logistics for the Bell would be not much different than the support for the Mil helos currently in service and the Air Tractor is powered by a P&W turboprop which is similar to several eastern European engines.

As for cost, it would be hard to summarize. The lives of the crew aboard the 172 if bounced are ine thing, but the coat of the lives of civilians or the lives of the troops on the ground demand the best that's available.

I figured this action would occur behind the lines around Ukrainian towns and infrastructure, far from Su-35 and MiG-31 reach. I'd call "shotgun!"
In any case, any manned aircraft doing drone hunting would require a safe zone. There's a lot AAA.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back