"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I just read an interesting article that said most of the Russian soldiers actually fighting are conscripts. It ties into a platoon of the 74th Motorized Rifle Brigade surrendering to the Ukraine military because they did not know they were supposed o actually be fighting.

But now they are, where's the Russian army's heavier response?

if nothing else, this conflict is clearly shattering many of the myths that have been built about Russian military advantage. At every level, the Russians have punched well beneath their weight so to speak. Their strategic assumptions (Ukraine won't fight, Europe won't react) have been utterly dispelled.

Russia is growing frustrated by the level of Ukrainian resistance its military has encountered during the invasion, according to a senior U.S. Defense Department official who briefed reporters on Saturday, USA Today reported.

The official said that there has been an increase in the influx of troops into the country. Thirty percent of Russian troops entered Ukraine as of Friday, but later, that number jumped to 50 percent. The Defense official added that the situation is fluid and constantly changing, the newspaper reported.

The official also noted that multiple means were used by the Pentagon to confirm that Ukrainian military resistance had stalled Russian forces, according to USA Today.

The development comes as Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said in a video on Saturday that Russia had not succeeded in capturing Kyiv.

"We have withstood and successfully repelled enemy attacks. Fighting continues in different cities and regions of our country," he said, according to CNN.

"We have ruined their plans. They have no advantage over us," he added.

I'm trying to find the source I read this morning indicating that Putin is ordering a second wave with the reserves in the region. Remember, as of yesterday, only 60,000 troops were committed to the offensive out of 180,000 that had been marshalled. Once I re-find that source I'll link it.

Honestly, why is it taking the Russians to long to roll over the small Ukrainian army? This was supposed to be the army we'd fear would roll over Europe. I have to think that a full on invasion was never part of the plan.

Because a man fighting for his county fights harder than an 18 year old conscript questioning why in the hell he is fighting at all.

MOSCOW, Feb 26 (Reuters) - Russian troops have captured the city of Melitopol in Ukraine's southeastern Zaporizhzhya region, Russia's defence ministry said on Saturday, the first significant population centre to be taken over since Moscow launched an invasion.

The ministry also said Russia had used air- and ship-based cruise missiles to carry out overnight strikes on military targets in Ukraine.

It said Russian troops had hit hundreds of military infrastructure targets and destroyed several aircraft and dozens of tanks and armoured and artillery vehicles.

Ukrainian officials could not be immediately reached for comment on the matter.

And for a moment of levity in a grim thread, I just noticed the byline on this linked article:

Reporting by Olzhas Auyezov Editning by Sam Holmes and Mark Potter

lol

I think Zelinisky spoke too soon or more likely in order to nudge the issue. Turkey has not announced this.
Turkey will be restricting access.

They had deliberated it, but have since decided to go ahead.

Moscow is objecting, saying it violates the international treaty - which is somewhat amusing, considering that they are knee-deep in quite a few international treaty violations, currently.

Also, if Moscow were to read that treaty, they would know that Turkey has the right to do so in the event of war.

Turkey will be restricting access.

They had deliberated it, but have since decided to go ahead.

Moscow is objecting, saying it violates the international treaty - which is somewhat amusing, considering that they are knee-deep in quite a few international treaty violations, currently.

Also, if Moscow were to read that treaty, they would know that Turkey has the right to do so in the event of war.

Except per the treaty they cannot restrict it to ships that are home based in the Black Sea.

Not that I care though. Fuck Putin. Close it off!

A couple of interesting new developments. Germany has decided to send SAMs and AT missiles to Ukraine. For those who track modern German attitudes to war, this is a BIG deal.

Also, the BBC is reporting that the relatively slow progress by Russian forces (due to stiffer than expected Ukrainian resistance) is starting to strain Russian logistics. They report some Russian units are running out of fuel and other supplies. Really, REALLY hope that's accurate.

I'm honestly questioning Putins current mental state. It concerns me that he has nuclear weapons. I can only hope that cooler heads exist in Russia and they make the tough decision to remove him, before he does something that cannot be undone.
Please allow me to caveat what is written below by the statement that I do not support or condone Putin/Russia's attack here and strongly believe that they should be forced out of the Ukraine.

That said, I would also argue against any implying that Putin is mad or is a new Hitler (or anything akin to). To do so risks belittling the situation into a "me good, you bad" style analysis that doesn't actually help understand the conflict and/or work towards resolving (or dare I say preventing the next). The real world isn't black/white but rather many shades of grey.

As I have previously mentioned, I believe that from Putin's POV, he is simply working to return the Russian Empire or at least sense of national pride. This is seemingly his underlying goal and one that helps define many of his actions over the last 20yrs or so - he is playing the long game one might say. This is aided by the fact that the West, especially the USA, appear weak and impotent and inward looking. As such, Putin saw an opportunity and took it. I suspect that if the West had been willing to admit Ukraine to NATO and/or put their own forces in the Ukraine rather than simply sending lots of, often old, weapons he may have backed off. The fact is that this did not happen though so we now have this tragedy unfolding.

I have previously (at Reply #64) posted an article by the Australian Journalist/Author/Analyst Stan Grant that addresses some of what I am talking about. Below is another, somewhat more pointed one. I apologise if anyone takes offence but please note that I do it not to start arguments but rather to help point out what I believe is one of the things that has helped contribute to this situation. It is also not trying to place blame for things such as the Russian aggression on Ukraine on others than Putin/Russia but rather to help explain one aspect of the journey that has seen the world reach this point.

Please allow me to caveat what is written below by the statement that I do not support or condone Putin/Russia's attack here and strongly believe that they should be forced out of the Ukraine.

That said, I would also argue against any implying that Putin is mad or is a new Hitler (or anything akin to). To do so risks belittling the situation into a "me good, you bad" style analysis that doesn't actually help understand the conflict and/or work towards resolving (or dare I say preventing the next). The real world isn't black/white but rather many shades of grey.

As I have previously mentioned, I believe that from Putin's POV, he is simply working to return the Russian Empire or at least sense of national pride. This is seemingly his underlying goal and one that helps define many of his actions over the last 20yrs or so - he is playing the long game one might say. This is aided by the fact that the West, especially the USA, appear weak and impotent and inward looking. As such, Putin saw an opportunity and took it. I suspect that if the West had been willing to admit Ukraine to NATO and/or put their own forces in the Ukraine rather than simply sending lots of, often old, weapons he may have backed off. The fact is that this did not happen though so we now have this tragedy unfolding.

I have previously (at Reply #64) posted an article by the Australian Journalist/Author/Analyst Stan Grant that addresses some of what I am talking about. Below is another, somewhat more pointed one. I apologise if anyone takes offence but please note that I do it not to start arguments but rather to help point out what I believe is one of the things that has helped contribute to this situation. It is also not trying to place blame for things such as the Russian aggression on Ukraine on others than Putin/Russia but rather to help explain one aspect of the journey that has seen the world reach this point.

I don't think he is mad because of the invasion. I think he is mad because of his actions since the invasion.

As such, Putin saw an opportunity and took it. I suspect that if the West had been willing to admit Ukraine to NATO and/or put their own forces in the Ukraine rather than simply sending lots of, often old, weapons he may have backed off. The fact is that this did not happen though so we now have this tragedy unfolding.
I remember wondering in 2014 had the US sent a warship (briefly) and some long term troops to Crimea (upon the invite of Kiev) in advance of the Russians if that would have made a difference.

7EED2F3A-67A8-437B-A226-02F16632F3AE.jpeg

Some useful analysis here that can help explain the Russian side (again, in no way attempting to legitimise):

Users who are viewing this thread

Back