"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hey c1951,

What are you talking about?

The UK has ~100 operational Typhoon aircraft in 7 active squadrons. Do you mean that the UK has only 18 aircraft on standing guard (aka Quick Reaction Alert)?

Also, RAF is flying Poseidon MRA Mk 1 aircraft for maritime patrol and ASW - although they only have 9 airframes.
There are more Poseidon's than that, they do not have the pilots for seven squadrons

mean fuel consumption in for M1 is 148l/10km - data revealed by Sweden after competitive trials with Leo2, i don't think T-80 is any better in this term. Mass using turbine powered tanks will kill their logistic faster than Ukrainians will be able to do this

I agree, and not the vehicle you want when you don't have an operational supply line. I just found it interesting that they had to pull them out of reserve in the first place.

On Youtube they played a couple of Russian military units talking to each other, their situation was desperate and they were asking each other for help. Then someone tried to jam them, breaking in and whistling a familiar tune, "I wish I was in the land of Dixie..." Does the UKR have a lot of Dukes of Hazard fans?
Who knows, but if you wanted to add insult to injury, what better choice?
Ukraine = Successfull Secessionists

I'm not certain if this has ever been discussed, but why did the Ukraine give up its nuclear arsenal?

I'm not certain if this has ever been discussed, but why did the Ukraine give up its nuclear arsenal?

I know it's Wikipedia but it's a decent overview of what happened and why:

Bottom line is that the nukes in Ukraine belonged to the USSR and hence the launch codes etc were managed from Moscow. It's tough to re-implement that from scratch when you're not a nuclear power, and neither NATO nor Russia wanted another nuclear force on either of their doorsteps, particularly given how uncertain things were in the early 1990s. The Budapest Memorandum captured the details of the agreement for Ukraine to remove its nuclear weapons within a defined period of time.

Of note, Russia has already broken the first 2 articles summarized on the Wiki page.

Ukraine also gave up its strategic bomber force of Backfires. They did not want them and Russia would not take them, I guess they thought that merely having the bombers was provocative. So lacking ICBMs and bombers, what would they have delivered the nukes with? They invited the USAF in to destroy them. I always thought we should have taken a few Backfires and given them to Israel.

In that same time period Kazakhstan invited the USAF in to destroy the nuclear weapons test facilities there.

Last edited:
I remember the denuclearization of former SSRs fairly well. Russia, in the post-Soviet collapse, was very insecure about having these nukes on its doorstep, and America was worried about them falling into the hands of terrorists and mined for dirty-bomb usage. So it was that both sides came together and persuaded the former SSRs which had nukes on them (iirc, Belarus, Ukraine, and Kazakhstan) to give up their stockpiles, which they did for the reason buffnut453 buffnut453 points out -- that lacking the codes, they were useless anyway.

It seemed to be a bright spot to me at the time, that they could come together and solve this.

Last edited:
The Ukrainians reputedly have a couple of thousand tanks, mostly old T-72s and a smattering of T-64s which are even older. I haven't read too much about their use or possible successes. Perhaps they're being husbanded?

Russian forces are transitioning their focus to the southern and eastern portions of Ukraine, prompting Ukrainian officials to warn that battles will be reminiscent of World War II.

Satellite images examined by Maxar Technologies and cited by CNN said a Russian military convoy is moving to southern Ukraine through the town of Velykyi Burluk, which is located in the east.

Russian forces are reportedly planning to move toward the Ukrainian city of Kharkiv, the network reported, citing Friday comments from Ukraine's defense intelligence chief.

No doubt the Ukrainians are taking advantage of interior lines to present the toughest face to the enemy, and hopefully this new convoy is also experiencing logistical difficulties as well, as I've read US defense analysts asserting that those difficulties extend into the territory of Russia proper as well. I'm trying to find that source again and will post it when I do.

ETA: posted this earlier, and repost it with emphasis added:

It may take some time for these units to be reconstituted, and this could be further complicated by continuing failures in logistics. "We believe that they have not solved all of their logistics and sustainment problems and that those problems did not just exist inside Ukraine," he said. "They existed outside Ukraine and still do exist. And so, our sense is that they will likely not be able to reinforce the eastern part of the country with any great speed."

Satellite image of the new convoy, estimated to be eight miles long:

1649598004892.jpg

Source

Last edited:
Lo and behold...

I just mentioned here the other day, how the time would be right for Georgia to expel Russian forces from their country and today, I see this...

Users who are viewing this thread

• GTX
Back