"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I assumed they came equipped with that essential part, the volunteer foreign pilot.
We can only hope
Like the Russian pilots in the VPAF during the Vietnam War, or the American and other foreign pilots who volunteered in the Spanish Civil War.
That was never fully confirmed. Korea, yes.

Hey DerAdlerIstGelandet,

re "That or his military commanders are completely inept."

I do not know if that would explain it. The Ukraine has ~200,000 active military personnel (~170,000 ground forces), plus ~60,000 national guard, plus ~50,000 quasi-military border police. And the total population is around 44,000,000 people. You can not be anyway sure of winning a military action at ~1:1 odds on the ground, and there is no way the RF could sustain an occupation of Ukraine that would not be a disaster in terms of expense (even without the new economic sanctions).

Maybe if he appointed people to the positions that had no military strategy training? The majority of the wargamers I know understand the historical odds factor for attack vs defense, and basic logistics.

If I let my paranoia loose, it is as if this is a side show, or maybe expected to become a side show.

Hey DerAdlerIstGelandet,

re "That or his military commanders are completely inept."

I do not know if that would explain it. The Ukraine has ~200,000 active military personnel (~170,000 ground forces), plus ~60,000 national guard, plus ~50,000 quasi-military border police. And the total population is around 44,000,000 people. You can not be anyway sure of winning a military action at ~1:1 odds on the ground, and there is no way the RF could sustain an occupation of Ukraine that would not be a disaster in terms of expense (even without the new economic sanctions).

Maybe if he appointed people to the positions that had no military strategy training? The majority of the wargamers I know understand the historical odds factor for attack vs defense, and basic logistics.

If I let my paranoia loose, it is as if this is a side show, or maybe expected to become a side show.

I think the buildup campaign over the last six months was hoped to undermine Ukrainian morale, and that the hope was for a walkover as a result.

A possible hiccup for Britons who want to join the cause.

"The comments of the foreign secretary may be entirely honourable and understandable, but unless the UK government gives formal licence to people to go to Ukraine, they would be in breach of the Foreign Enlistment Act and committing a criminal offence," said Grieve, who left the Conservative party over Brexit.

The US has a similar law:

Title 18 U.S. Code § 959 - Enlistment in foreign service

(a) Whoever, within the United States, enlists or enters himself, or hires or retains another to enlist or enter himself, or to go beyond the jurisdiction of the United States with intent to be enlisted or entered in the service of any foreign prince, state, colony, district, or people as a soldier or as a marine or seaman on board any vessel of war, letter of marque, or privateer, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both.

(b) . . .

This convoy will be target #1 tonight. The West likely has satellites positioned right on top to guide Ukrainian missile and ground strikes.

The US has a similar law:

Title 18 U.S. Code § 959 - Enlistment in foreign service

(a) Whoever, within the United States, enlists or enters himself, or hires or retains another to enlist or enter himself, or to go beyond the jurisdiction of the United States with intent to be enlisted or entered in the service of any foreign prince, state, colony, district, or people as a soldier or as a marine or seaman on board any vessel of war, letter of marque, or privateer, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both.

(b) . . .
And depending who that foreign prince, state, colony, district is, this has been ignored.

1646014509856.png

Neither here nor there but what if the U.S. offered to replace Ukraine bound MiG-29s/SU-25s with F-16s or F/A-18s? What kind of message would it send?
Some degree of US plausible deniability would be necessary. The USAF has twenty or so MiG-29s. Those would be the ones to send.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back