"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again."

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

More from the BBC about the latest UN move:

In a rare move, the United Nations' Security Council has voted to hold an emergency special session of the General Assembly to discuss Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

The meeting, scheduled for Monday, will give all 193 members the floor to provide their views on the attack.

Russia voted against the meeting, but under a particular UN resolution it was unable to veto the move.

The resolution, called "Uniting for Peace", allows members of the Security Council to call a special session with the General Assembly if the five permanent members (Russia, US, UK, France and China) cannot agree how to act together to maintain peace.

While I'm not a particular fan of the UN, I do think this is a very savvy move. First of all, Russia can't veto the emergency session so all the other nations get to say their piece. Secondly, we'll get a clear view of any nations still siding with Russia. Thirdly, it puts China squarely in the spotlight, throws into sharp focus the dilemma facing Beijing.

Monday could prove a really interesting day...I just hope it's in a good way!

Last edited:

EU countries to send 'fighter jets' to Ukraine

We're going to provide even fighting jets. We're not talking about just ammunition.'

EU countries will send "fighter jets" to Ukraine at Kyiv's request to help it counter the Russian air and land assault, the bloc's foreign policy chief Josep Borrell said Sunday.
"We're going to provide even fighting jets. We're not talking about just ammunition. We are providing more important arms to go to a war," he told a press conference.
Ukrainian Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba told the EU "they need the kind of fighting jets that the Ukrainian army is able to operate... some member states have these kinds of planes," Borrell said.

OK, I'm all about giving them support but this is kind of ignorant. If we sent two squadrons of F-16s over to them, their pilots aren't going to just jump in and start flying the aircraft, it's going to take weeks if not months to train them up in the most simplest combat operations. Wishful thinking but their heart is in the right place.

More from the BBC about the latest UN move:

In a rare move, the United Nations' Security Council has voted to hold an emergency special session of the General Assembly to discuss Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

The meeting, scheduled for Monday, will give all 193 members the floor to provide their views on the attack.

Russia voted against the meeting, but under a particular UN resolution it was unable to veto the move.

The resolution, called "Uniting for Peace", allows members of the Security Council to call a special session with the General Assembly if the five permanent members (Russia, US, UK, France and China) cannot agree how to act together to maintain peace.

While I'm not a particular fan of the UN, I do think this is a very savvy move. First of all, Russia can't veto the emergency session so all the other nations get to say their piece. Secondly, we'll get a clear view of any nations still siding with Russia. Thirdly, it puts China squarely in the spotlight, throws into sharp focus the dilemma facing Beijing.

Monday could prove a really interesting day...I just hope it's in a good way!

My sense is that most countries are firmly against this, and rightfully so. Calling Russia out on the world stage is fair game.

OK, I'm all about giving them support but this is kind of ignorant. If we sent two squadrons of F-16s over to them, their pilots aren't going to just jump in and start flying the aircraft, it's going to take weeks if not months to train them up in the most simplest combat operations. Wishful thinking but their heart is in the right place.
They are sending fighters over they now how to fly, a number of EU countries have them.

Right, but several NATO countries have Soviet/Russian equipment, right? The Poles have MiG-29s, and iirc, the Germans have a stock of Soviet fighters inherited in that nation's reunion. Maybe that's the reason for the caveat, ""they need the kind of fighting jets that the Ukrainian army is able to operate"?

ETA: Granted, they're not top-of-the-line, and the Russians probably know well the strong- and weak-points, and how to combat them.

Yeah, I'm interested in how this is going to work, unless it is EU countries with Migs and Suchois? Do any EU countries operate them?

After market trading the Ruble has lost half of it's value and a good chunk of Russian reserves are locked in foreign banks. Economist and several Russian billionaires are coming out against the war now. Putin's air of invincibility is cracking.

I read he is increasingly isolated and at some compound in the Urals.

Kind of reminds you of the last days of WW2 in Europe in the Führerbunker.

Since you mentioned the Führerbunker, I did see this protest sign.

1646005641758.png

I notice the of all countries, Sweden has voted to give the Ukraine a fair amount of military equipment namely AT rockets, armour and ration packs. I cannot help but wonder if Putin's threat to Sweden and Finland a few days ago hasn't given them the nudge to join the support effort.
I think the last time Sweden gave any military support was in 1939 when it gave Finland some support.

Bulgaria has MiG-29, Su-25, L-39
Croazia has MiG-21
Polonia has MiG-29 and Su-22
Romania has MiG-21
Slovacchia has MiG-29 and L-39
this are operational type, in all around 110 airplanes and not all can gifted, at example Croazia at the MG-21 alone

We like the Ukrainian pilots. Hence we will not give them any of our MiG-21s.
Polish MiG-29s (good deal of them are ex-DDR machines) on the other hand...

And the EU continues measures across multiple fronts to deal with the Ukraine crisis:

More now on the EU agreeing to take in Ukrainian refugees for up to three years without asking them to first apply for asylum.

The BBC has been told that the vast majority of European interior ministers are in favour of invoking the EU's Temporary Protection Directive for the first time ever, to cope with the mass influx of displaced Ukrainians arriving in EU states.

Currently, Ukrainians can stay visa-free within the EU for 90 days. The EU says invoking the temporary protection directive would make it easier for Ukrainians to temporarily settle in EU countries, removing all paperwork associated with typical asylum applications.

Having received a majority of support, ministers can now take this to the next council meeting on Thursday. The commission will then have to come up with a full proposal for member states to sign up to.

They are sending fighters over they now how to fly, a number of EU countries have them.
The only fighters that could possibly be sent to the Ukrainians that would be effective are MiG-29s, SU-2x series, L39ZA, from other former east bloc countries and maybe Germany still has a few MiG-29s left. Even then, the transition isn't going to be that quick. If this was done when troops were massing on the Ukraine border, they might have an ample amount of pilots trained up by now. I'm still baffled about the lack of Russian air power, something definitely is not right. From what I understand, the Ukrainian MiG-29s were recently modified to perform a ground attack role as well as air to air

I agree something is not right. It is almost as if Putin has been pressured into this, and is putting on a show to distract from something else. (I am assuming he has not actually gone senile.)

OK, I'm all about giving them support but this is kind of ignorant. If we sent two squadrons of F-16s over to them, their pilots aren't going to just jump in and start flying the aircraft…
I assumed they came equipped with that essential part, the volunteer foreign pilot.

Like the Russian pilots in the VPAF during the Vietnam War, or the American and other foreign pilots who volunteered in the Spanish Civil War.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back