"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ukrainian Defense Minister Oleksiy Reznikov says Ukraine is already transitioning to Western-caliber technology, including 155-millimeter artillery. He says the move will ensure Ukraine becomes fully "interoperable" with NATO, which will strengthen the alliance's eastern flank.

In NATO-speak, this means Ukrainians would be able work smoothly with NATO while helping to protect front-line NATO states, such as Poland.

Reznikov wrote on Facebook last week that "tectonic philosophical shifts have occurred" since he took up his position this past fall.

"I will admit — three months ago an achievement like this would have been considered almost impossible," he said. "But thanks to the courage and professionalism of Ukrainian defenders, and the resilience of the Ukrainian people, everything has changed."

He also credited a number of Ukrainian officials — including President Volodymyr Zelenskyy, Prime Minister Denys Shmyhal and a slew of diplomats — with personally helping with the transition.

While Ukraine is still open to receiving Soviet-style equipment and weapons to strengthen its army in the short term, Reznikov said that "material changes have already taken place."

He noted that Ukraine's armed forces have been gaining expertise in the use of Western weapons for quite some time, though he said the specifics of this work were not being publicized for confidentiality reasons.

"I can provide an example of a recent and very relevant experience: Our artillerymen, who were training on a 155-mm ACS at a test site in one of our partner countries, hit their target with their first shot," he said. "And they then helped our foreign colleagues to improve the computer software that manages this ACS, which impressed them."

Of course this probably will not have much effect on this war. But it's telling that the concern is to make the Ukrainian military more compatible with NATO standards.

LONDON, May 2 (Reuters) - Britain said on Monday it would provide 300 million pounds ($375 million) more in military aid to Ukraine, including electronic warfare equipment and a counter-battery radar system, on top of around 200 million pounds of assistance so far.

Britain has sent Ukraine more than 5,000 anti-tank missiles and five air defence systems as well as other munitions and explosives since Russia's invasion on Feb. 24, which has destroyed cities and left thousands of people dead or injured.

Good on 'em. The Starstreak has already gotten a couple of kills, too, from what I've read.

Are these barrels a Russian field mod to extend range? If so looks like a good way to cook the crew
View attachment 666654
They are fuel tanks to increase the range, but diesel is about as safe as any fuel can be. They're designed to be jettisoned in combat. Really, they aren't dangerous at all until hit by something hot enough to ignite diesel. The flash point of diesel is 500-600 degrees F, which is hotter than shrapnel from an HE shell or incendiary bullet.

No, I'm referring to postwar. When the UAF needs rebuilding. The last thing Ukraine needs now is naval strength when tanks, mechanized artillery, IFVs, APCs, drones, and infantry weapons are needed.
If the Ukrainian Navy had a stronger presence in the Black Sea, it would be able to challenge the Russian Navy and draw them away from coastal areas currently under attack.
It would also force the Russians to use land for logistics rather than shipping supplies/troops.

At current, I beleive the Russian Black Sea fleet has about 40 ships...well, a few less, now...

Your linked article says he wasn't there for the attack, that he'd left early.

Zelenskyy has already told the Ukrainian population that they will have to be more like Israel, militarized against surrounding threats.

I bet the Ukrainian Navy -- and all other branches as well -- will have plenty of volunteers after this war is wound up. I bet as well they will receive military aid on the cheap, as well. The biggest problem may be paying the salaries of the fighting forces.

Hostilities will of course have to cease before the Dardanelles is opened up to sell the Ukrainian Navy further units.

It looks to be seven.

The only bright spot here is that they're all Kilo-class, meaning they can each only carry four cruise missiles before needing resupply. On the other hand, these subs are extremely quiet when submerged on electric power. They can make 20 kts fully submerged on batteries, but only for a short distance. And Kalibr missiles have sufficient range to stay outside Ukrainian territorial waters while launching a missile barrage, meaning that mine-laying wouldn't be an effective defense in that regard.

Ukraine will need aircraft equipped with MAD, sonobuoys, and homing torpedoes to get at these craft, and as SaparotRob notes, that's a steep learning curve for the Ukrainian Air Force. Maybe they have some helicopters that are capable of this duty?

Last edited:
My coffee machine is flicking a red light right now - and coffee is vital to me, could that be due to cyber warfare?

The UAF purposely spared his life, since he is essential to them for leading the continued Russian offensives
(after-all he made such a great impression especially during the first 4 weeks around Kiev)

Given that the Black Sea is likely to have somewhat better weather than the north Atlantic, the Type 23 may have enough topweight for some land attack missiles in canisters.
A good point on the weather. Maybe a half dozen corvette types is a better low complement, heavy hitting option?

In 2020 Ukraine signed up for two units of the Ada-class corvette - Wikipedia. That will be a good start, with a credible 3" gun for limited NGFS. It's not a Buyan class, but is competitive.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread