"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (9 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov declined to comment on the status of the evacuated troops and did not answer whether the Ukrainian soldiers would be treated as war criminals or as prisoners of war.

"[President Vladimir] Putin has guaranteed that they will be treated in line with the relevant international laws," he said, refusing to provide any further details on what will happen to the evacuated troops.

I'd be surprised if any of these defenders survive Russian captivity, given that 1) their existence was cited as a reason for invading Ukraine, 2) their staunch defense was a great embarrassment to Russian arms, and 3) if they return to Ukraine and tell their story it will likely be very inspiring to their nation.

Unsurprisingly, Russia is again sending mixed-messages with zero specific details. "International laws" is a very broad topic and could be used by the Kremlin to bring these men to trial on some charge or other (e.g. terrorism). Personally, I don't envy their position. I hope they're treated well by their Russian captors...but I'm not holding my breath.

Right. Who on Earth would trust the Russians to follow through on any commitment they make after all this?

The defenders of Azostahl have done their duty, and far more than anyone could have asked or expected.

They bought time for Ukraine to train and equip a new army that's now entering the field with superior NATO supplied weaponry.

NATO or any other so called 'superpower' could easily destroy the entire attacking / defending army(ies) with just one air attack or missile attack!

Selling useless junks 100 times of their value is not called 'help'.

They are just looking for their own benefits, regardless how many humans have lost their lives or homes.

I see no difference between this one and Iran - Iraq war.

Last edited:
This blunt assessment of Russia's difficulties in Ukraine is surprising in that it aired on Russian national TV:

LONDON, May 17 (Reuters) - One military analyst had a brutally frank message for viewers of Russian state television: The war in Ukraine will get much worse for Russia, which is facing a mass mobilisation supported by the United States while Russia is almost totally isolated.

[...]

"You should not swallow informational tranquilizers," Mikhail Khodaryonok, a retired colonel, told the "60 Minutes" talk show on Rossiya-1 hosted by Olga Skabeyeva, one of the most pro-Kremlin journalists on television.

"The situation, frankly speaking, will get worse for us," said Khodaryonok, a regular guest on state TV who gives often candid assessments of the situation.

He said that Ukraine could mobilise 1 armed million men.

Khodaryonok, a military columnist for the gazeta.ru newspaper and a graduate of one of Russia's elite military academies, cautioned before the invasion that such a step would not be in Russia's national interests.

[...]

"The desire to defend one's motherland in the sense that it exists in Ukraine - it really does exist there and they intend to fight to the last," Khodaryonok said before he was interrupted by Skabeyeva.

[...]

"The main thing in our business is have a sense of military-political realism: if you go beyond that then the reality of history will hit you so hard that you will not know what hit you," he said.

"Don't wave rockets in the direction of Finland for goodness sake - it just looks rather funny," he said.

Russia, he said, was isolated.

"The main deficiency of our military-political position is that we are in full geopolitical solitude and - however we don't want to admit it - practically the whole world is against us - and we need to get out of this situation."

He'll be logging in Siberia before too long, I bet.
Here is the vid for those who understand Russian, with subtitles, but as I don't speak russian, can't say how accurate they are.
Although I disagree with the Siberia option. I think he will be invited to take tea.

Elsewhere, the potential for war crimes charges to be levied continues unabated.

The International Criminal Court has sent a team of 42 investigators, forensic experts and support personnel to Ukraine in the "largest ever single field deployment" by it's prosecutor's office.

In a statement, Karim Khan says investigators will collect testimonials of military attacks which may constitute crimes, while forensic experts would work with Ukrainian authorities to map existing action and "strengthen the chain of custody" regarding hard evidence.

"Now more than ever we need to show the law in action," he says. "It is essential that we demonstrate to survivors and the families of victims that international law is relevant to their experience... in order to bring them some measure of solace through the process of justice."

Khan says his team will work with French experts and those sent by other states and thanked the Netherlands government for facilitating the secondment of Dutch national experts to support the mission.

Did I call it or did I CALL IT????

Russia has asked its Supreme Court to designate Ukraine's Azov Regiment as a terrorist organisation.

According to Russia's Interfax news agency, the Justice Ministry in Moscow has said a court case "on recognising the Ukrainian paramilitary nationalist association 'Azov' (other names used: the 'Azov' battalion, 'Azov' regiment) as a terrorist organisation and the ban on its activities on the territory of the Russian Federation is scheduled for trial on 26 May".

It comes as Ukrainian fighters - many of them soldiers of the Azov Regiment - were evacuated from the Azovstal steelworks on Monday night.

Earlier Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov declined to comment on whether the defenders of the steelworks - who are now in Russian custody - would be treated as prisoners of war or as war criminals.

The Azov Regiment was formed in 2014, soon after Moscow annexed Ukraine's southern Crimea peninsula, to fight against Russian forces and pro-Russian rebels in the eastern Donbas region.

Some Azov fighters originally had links to nationalist and far-right groups. The regiment was later incorporated into Ukraine's National Guard.

Some Azov fighters originally had links to nationalist and far-right groups. The regiment was later incorporated into Ukraine's National Guard.
When this war is over and the rebuilding of a new Ukraine is underway, one in which western values of democracy and civil society are expected to prevail (as part of a drive to EU membership), where some new nation-building exercise and a relationship between Ukrainian citizens of both Russian and Ukrainian descent must be formed, the government in Kyiv might secretly thank the Russians for liquidating or incarcerating these potential troublemakers. They'll be hailed as national heroes of course, for the most part posthumously or in absentia. They served their purpose.

Last edited:
Here is the vid for those who understand Russian, with subtitles, but as I don't speak russian, can't say how accurate they are.
Although I disagree with the Siberia option. I think he will be invited to take tea.

If his prediction comes true and there are soon to be one million NATO-armed, US/EU-financed Ukrainians... well, Russia's special operation in Ukraine is over.

When this war is over and the rebuilding of a new Ukraine is underway, one in which western values of democracy and civil society are expected to prevail (as part of a drive to EU membership), where some new nation-building exercise and a relationship between Ukrainian citizens of both Russian and Ukrainian descent must be formed, the government in Kyiv might secretly thank the Russians for liquidating or incarcerating these potential troublemakers. They'll be hailed as national heroes of course, for the most part posthumously or in absentia. They served their purpose.
Excuse me? Azov men and women are troublemakers only for the aggressors.
They are hailed as heroes alive or dead. And the regiment continues to fight in other areas. Not all Azov was in Mariupol.
As for the relationship between ethnic groups in Ukraine, there is nothing new to be formed after the war. In terms of tolerance, Ukraine can be an example. As an ethnic Russian, I always felt safe in Ukraine, in any region.

I have to say that he was speaking well with a lot of common sense. The last statement said it all, 'It's a situation we need to get out of'
And that bit that the "whole world is against us"..... that's a very candid statement for Russian state TV. Could this be a sign of internal dissent?

It is amazing to view the global financial and/or military support for Ukraine. It took years for the likes of Brazil to choose sides in WW2.

id_to_Ukraine_during_the_2022_Russian_invasion.svg.png

1- the "whole world is against us"...

2- It took years for the likes of Brazil to choose sides in WW2.

View attachment 669164
1- not surprising for me! The leader of Islamic regime and related propaganda units / organizations claim that they were alone in fight against "Baathist Infidels". They even banned any talk about US / Israel helps (in any form / shape) to Iran's political and military.

Main reason for quoting your post;

2- never heard of this before. Very interesting... Any links for further reading?

I have to say that he was speaking well with a lot of common sense. The last statement said it all, 'It's a situation we need to get out of'
The anchor Olga Skabeyeva looks miserable, likely expecting a visit from the State TV komisariat once the show airs.

"However much we would hate to admit this, virtually the entire world is against us"

Ouch.

Last edited:
2- never heard of this before. Very interesting... Any links for further reading?

"Brazil's participation in World War II on the Allied side was not a foregone conclusion. Brazil was the biggest non-European consumer of German products and ranked ninth among Germany's trading partners overall. It also hosted a large and influential German community that engendered closer ties to Germany. Brazil in 1939 maintained a position of neutrality, initially trading with both Allied and Axis countries."

On August 22, 1942, Brazil declared war on the Axis powers of Germany and Italy. But not on Japan until June 6, 1945. With this is mind, it's noteworthy how quickly Brazil chose the side of Ukraine in this new war.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back