"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again."

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Germany's own official name is ("die" Bundesrepublik Deutschland) so: the Federal Republic of Germany - English short form: Germany/in German, Deutschland
If it would be in plural "die" Bundesrepubliken Deutschland/ "the" Federal Republics of Germany - English short form would still be: Germany
As such the Unites States of America (plural)= therefore not the USA but the int'l short from would be: USA (nothing to do with a modifier "of")
France's own official name is ("la" République Française) so: the French Republic - English short form: France/in French, France
Ukraine's own official name is (Україна) Ukrayina), so: Ukraynia - English short form: Ukraine

So it would be correct only to say USA, UK, Netherlands, Philippines, etc. if we want to start getting picky on common usage of words or terms.
After-all I wouldn't want the USA to feel degraded by insinuating/implying that they are merely a geographical region of America, North-America or Canada?

So back to Russia's attack onto the Borderlands

no, no , no it's Russia not the Russia - want to know why?
Nordic Germanic tribes, the Rus aka the Vikings settled in today's Russia - calling it "Land of the Rus", happily marring Slavic chicks and founding numerous fiefs and Kingdoms e.g.
Suzdal, Novgorod, Ryazan etc. in Germanic language "Land der Rus" becomes Russland already beholding "the" and in English being called Russia.
Some of them traveled to Kiev and founded the Principality of Kievan Rus forming a federation of Rus fiefs throughout Western Russia and also happily married Slavic women

Later the "locals" of the Kievan Rus federation, called a specific region the Borderlands - due to obvious reasons.
1240: Kyiv is sacked by Mongols, who conquer the Rus principalities; Poland and Lithuania absorb the western principalities- no more Kievan Rus but a fief emerging as a new power
at the river Moskva.
And Ukraine in Ukrainian language calls it - or rather loved the name and themselves named it in 1991 again Borderlands

Okay back to the Borderlands

Attachments

• Principalities of Kievan Rus.png
    249.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
what you mean "effective"? - driving tank or fighting with proper tactics? - answer on the first one is - plenty, on second one - probably very few

Having a few thousand tanks in reserve is nice, if you have a few thousand tank crews running around with nothing else to do. Otherwise you're still going to have to train the men to run them, and that takes both time and skill.

News flash: I was not being serious. I was poking fun at The you. But thanks for the unnecessary history lesson…

Having a few thousand tanks in reserve is nice, if you have a few thousand tank crews running around with nothing else to do. Otherwise you're still going to have to train the men to run them, and that takes both time and skill.
And most of those qualified to do the training are on holiday in Ukraine - and many have "arranged" to never return to Russia by being killed or injured to a point where they would not be able to train anyone.

I assumed the reserve tanks are for replacing tanks where the crews survive but their tanks have broken down or been destroyed. Though given their exploding tendencies I wonder how many crew survive when their tank does not,

Last edited:
I assumed the reserve tanks are for replacing tanks where the crews survive but their tanks have broken down or been destroyed. Though given their exploding tendencies I wonder how many crew survive when their tank does not,

Probably, but I'm just addressing the whole "Russia has 8000 tanks" thing that lots of people are tossing around.

Users who are viewing this thread