"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (4 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I would have voted for him until he tapped Palin for VP, which to my mind showed a serious problem in judgement. I won't go any further for obvious reasons. But whether I agreed or disagreed with his policy positions, I had no doubt about his motivation. His scars, mental and physical, bore mute testimony to his belief in our country.
Forgot about her. Selective amnesia?

Nice to see the Opel/Vauxhall Vectra being used for something other than as a characterless uninspiring motor vehicle...

1350&cropW=2400&xPos=0&yPos=0&width=862&height=485.jpg

'Fish rot from the head': Russia's failure in Ukraine starts with Putin. Can he end his war?

Three months into his war, Vladimir Putin has learnt the best way to protect power is to hang onto to it — at any price. www.abc.net.au

On the subject of President Dmitry Medvedev, Putin and Medvedev go into a restaurant and the waiter asks Putin what he wants to eat. Putin says, "I'll have the steak." The waiter then asks, "and the vegetable?" Putin says, "he'll have the steak, too"...

Where did the z symbol go?
They may have revised their markings for this "second phase".

I recall seeing images of Russian military equipment in the early days of thw war, with different letters and I was real curious, because they were non-cyrillic, so I looked it.

It turns out, that the letters denoted a certain area that the vehicle/equipment were assigned.

"A" - Alpha Special Forces
"O" - forces staged in Belarus
"V" - Naval Infantry
"X" - Chechen Forces
"Z" - Eastern Military District
"Z in a square" - Crimean garrison

Pretty sure you stated:

Which led to my reply.

The Putin is not going to pull all of his top-line units away from key positions situated across his Empire, leaving the security of those locations in the care of second-rate troops.

He may pull some bodies out of those units to bolster his forces in Ukraine, but not entire units.
.....therefore actually not available to be deployed otherwise..... and assuming.....
Taking Russia's size and neighboring countries into account, common sense will dictate that at no time Putin would able able to move more then 60% of his forces towards the Borderlands.

.....therefore actually not available to be deployed otherwise..... and assuming.....
Taking Russia's size and neighboring countries into account, common sense will dictate that at no time Putin would able able to move more then 60% of his forces towards the Borderlands.
So now we've gone from "all CCP brigades" to "no more than 60%"

Okie dokie... :salute:

Doesn't change the fact that YOU don't get to pick what someone elses country is called.
No, but I am free to call or refer to a country, in whatever way I choose - e.g. the US, USA, the USA, the States, without a normal citizen of that country making a fuss about nothing.
Just as I can say Australia, Down-under, the Land Down-under, the Antipodes, etc. with out a local person falling into a national identity crisis.

No, but I am free to call or refer to a country, in whatever way I choose - e.g. the US, USA, the USA, the States, without a normal citizen of that country making a fuss about nothing.
Just as I can say Australia, Down-under, the Land Down-under, the Antipodes, etc. with out a local person falling into a national identity crisis.

Funny how none of your examples have suffered domination by an autocratic external dictatorship within the human lifespan. Nor have they, in the process of shaking off that yoke, had to re-establish their own national identity despite concerted efforts in the information domain by the remnants of that autocratic dictatorship to put the emergent nation back in its box. Nor have they been invaded by said autocratic external dictatorship. Nor are any of them fighting for their very existence right now.

So, for me, I'll listen to what the Ukrainians call their country and if they ask me to do likewise, I'll gladly and proudly abide by their request. Why? Because I respect the hell out of what they're doing standing up to one of the biggest bullies on the world stage. Because I mourn for the suffering they've had to endure and that they continue to suffer. And because I try not to be a dick who puts his ego above common humanity.

So, for me, I'll listen to what the Ukrainians call their country and if they ask me to do likewise, I'll gladly and proudly abide by their request. Why? Because I respect the hell out of what they're doing standing up to one of the biggest bullies on the world stage. Because I mourn for the suffering they've had to endure and that they continue to suffer. And because I try not to be a dick who puts his ego above common humanity.

It costs me nothing to be courteous. I forgo the extraneous "the" in front of "Ukraine" for this reason. I grew up hearing it as "the" Ukraine. But if Ukrainians don't like it, I'm fine. There's bigger concerns here, and putting this one away is so easy that it's dumb to argue over it, in my view.

Yep - some people just don't know, or don't care about respect and courtesy.

I'm not gonna slag someone for writing/speaking they way they learnt. I've been on the wrong end of that in very embarrassing ways. It's just easier for me to go along to get along than to fight over a hill such as deploying the article "the".

I'm not gonna slag someone for writing/speaking they way they learnt. I've been on the wrong end of that in very embarrassing ways. It's just easier for me to go along to get along than to fight over a hill such as deploying the article "the".
Rest assured it has nothing to do with "the", until there is a defined Ukraine as such. But you will certainly understand that I will not get myself into a discussion on this matter on this forum.;)

Rest assured it has nothing to do with "the", until there is a defined Ukraine as such. But you will certainly understand that I will not get myself into a discussion on this matter on this forum.;)

I think Ukraine is pretty well-defined. I also think that while folks are fighting and dying, arguing over "the" Ukraine or simply "Ukraine" is kinda missing the story entirely.

Ukraine is a well defined, internationally recognized and sovereign nation.

Not sure if you've heard or not, but this happened in the early 90's :thumbleft:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back