"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yes, and then they'll have the cost of rebuilding that entire area. They've totally destroyed much of the existing infrastructure such as the steelworks in Mariupol. They'll need to rebuild houses, industries, roads, bridges...how on earth do they think they'll manage that if they're chained down by sanctions? If they simply "print more money", it'll send inflation skyrocketing.

We've commented before about the poor quality of operational planning by the Russian military. However, there's a bigger problem at play: the total lack of strategy is breathtaking.

Or they simply leave it un-rebuilt like they did much of East Berlin and East Germany until the East and West reunited.

The will be able to digest whatever parts of Donbas and the north coast of the Sea of Azov they hold when the fighting stops. The Russians will depopulate/relocate the Ukrainians and any questionable Russian speakers and bring in new people loyal to the Kremlin. That's exactly what they did to the Germans living in what became Kaliningrad in 1945.

And that too will be a burden on them for several generations. Urban insurgencies can work as well as rural fights -- just ask us Americans about Iraq. And if the Russians win out, how will they make the area productive again?

Or they simply leave it un-rebuilt like they did much of East Berlin and East Germany until the East and West reunited.

It rather depends on how the "liberated" areas are categorized. If they're "independent" then what you propose may be the outcome. If they are absorbed into greater Russia, then I suspect there will have to be significant redevelopment so Moscow can show the fruits of all the sacrifices by their soldiers.

Regardless, the whole mess is still a strategic cluster. Putin invaded because he didn't want NATO along Russia's borders...and yet, by taking over parts of Ukraine, he actually pushes Russia's borders closer to NATO...and that's before we look at the unintended outcomes like Finland joining NATO. Like I said...zero strategic vision.

Oh Boy! They really are running low on modern tanks...

T-62s? That's obsolete trash, especially if there's no ERA - but has any Russian tank's ERA worked yet? Jeez, it'll be T-55s next.

Maybe the Ukrainians can get some upgunned Centurions to match them. Mind you, if the UAF had Sho't Kal Israeli-spec Centurions they'd clear the battlefield of anything T-72 or older.

T-62s? That's obsolete trash, especially if there's no ERA - but has any Russian tank's ERA worked yet? Jeez, it'll be T-55s next.

Maybe the Ukrainians can get some upgunned Centurions to match them. Mind you, if the UAF had Sho't Kal Israeli-spec Centurions they'd clear the battlefield of anything T-72 or older.

T-62 has a targeting range of 800 meters at night/low visibility. That's pathetic, and truly asking for night-time hit-and-run attacks by small forces equipped with MANPADs.

Putin invaded because he didn't want NATO along Russia's borders...and yet, by taking over parts of Ukraine, he actually pushes Russia's borders closer to NATO...and that's before we look at the unintended outcomes like Finland joining NATO. Like I said...zero strategic vision.
maybe your analysis is a bit too simple?

1. Putin does not accept Kiev's drive to become a NATO member, and insisted onto it's neutrality, due to the 1991 treaty, that also defines the borders of Ukraine
2. Ukraine annulled the "neutrality clause" in 2010, therefore Putin does not accept it's borders - defined entirely by the Soviet Union and "granted" by Jelzin in 1991 under the pretext of Ukraine being a member of CIS, (Alma-Ata Declaration) Ukraine and Georgia had decided to resign their membership in 2018 respectively Georgia in 2009.
3. Taking the existence of the Baltic republics (never been CIF members) into account and already being NATO members - he certainly doesn't see Finland as an additional threat, but rather as an elongation of an already threatening NATO borderline towards Russia. (aside from one attack under Stalin) - there has never been a war or warlike tensions between Finland and Russia caused by the latter since 1939, and after that till 1944 it was Finland that had allied with the Nazis against Russia. (naturally hoping to regain lost territory).
4. That Putin isn't happy about Finland haven given up on it's neutrality - is understood, and he will also have to take the blame for that in the Duma.

CIS (The CIS Heads of States meeting on 26 August 2005 adopted several resolutions, including one on military cooperation and another on the fight against terrorism).
The CIS Defense Ministers Council met on 20 June 2007 to discuss military cooperation. Russian Defense Minister Anatoly Serdyukov said that the Council had created a specific military cooperation plan through 2010.

So Putin's stance is indeed very simple: if a member breaks the Alma-Ata-Declaration - okay, let's talk about the respective borders of e.g. Ukraine because the one it holds are those
of the Ukraine. And Putin went into action in 2014 e.g. by accepting the "independence declarations" of the Donbass and Luhansk republic and after occupying the Crimea - the Crimea
republic.....and.......

Okay back to war talk and who destroyed how many of what...

T-62 has a targeting range of 800 meters at night/low visibility. That's pathetic, and truly asking for night-time hit-and-run attacks by small forces equipped with MANPADs.
Unless they're aplenty, I'm not sure I'd want my guys wasting the latest Stinger, Javelin and NLAW MANPATs on T-62s. FYI, MANPADS are air defence weapons. But you have it right, night time, up close with a good old school anti-tank weapon like ex-USSR 9K32 Strela is just the ticket.

Unless they're aplenty, I'm not sure I'd want my guys wasting the latest Stinger, Javelin and NLAW MANPATs on T-62s. FYI, MANPADS are air defence weapons. But you have it right, night time, up close with a good old school anti-tank weapon like ex-USSR 9K32 Strela is just the ticket.

Sorry for the brainfart, I obviously meant MANPATs and thanks for the correction. I don't think it's a waste to use them on T-62s, given what the latter can do in daylight. You'd want to kill them when their systems perform at their weakest.

But the Strela is actually a SAM and not an ATGM. Good luck knocking out a tank with it. Of course, that might well be a brainfart on your part, so it's all good.

I'd rather fight a T-55 than the T-62. It wasn't much of a step forward and with the 100mm ATGM, the T-55 is better.

Taking out a Russian asset, regardless of make or type, is not a "waste" - it is one less asset the Russians have available to them.

MANPADS may be designed for surface to air, but plenty of anti-aircraft weapons have proven to be effective against ground targets in the past.

Now would be a good time to get the German government to donate those Leopard 1's

Now would be a good time to get the German government to donate those Leopard 1's
As a Canadian I should know, but I wonder what we did with our Leopard 1s. Ukraine needs some Abrams. I hope the US is training some UAFs on them now in Poland. Imagine how many T-62s a single squad of Abrams could kill.

This war is going to go on like Israel's wars with its neighbours. They keep attacking, keep getting their asses kicked, seeking peace, waiting for a few years and attack again, and repeat, before eventually they settle on a means to live beside each other. If like after 2014 this 2022 war ends with a ceasefire, the two sides will spend five years preparing for another war, until the Russians finally say, okay, we can live with Ukraine.

At this rate, they will have to bring these back too:

1653420002314.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back