"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Most Manpads are heat seeking so IFF will not do much for you.
The trick is to identify friend or foe before you shoot, so that the missile's guidance system, heat or radar seaking doesn't matter. To that end Starstreak, Mistral, Stinger and SAAB's RBS 70 all come standard with aiming point IFF. But it only works if both the launcher and the potential friendly target are set up to communicate with each other. That's what I'm suggesting for these new helicopters.

Last edited:
To be honest, Ukraine has been remarkably restrained in limiting their strikes to within their borders.

As it stands, they are 100% justified in striking targets in Russia, Belarus and even the Russians in Transneistra.

Instead, they have taken the high road, stayed focused on immediate threats and avoided doing anything that can be used against them by the Russian spin-masters.

The people of Belarus see this and it's just a matter of time before the the people turn against Lukashanko.

See I'm thinking your standard Russian SA-7, SA-14, SA-16, or SA-18. IFF is meaningless for them. Its aim and shoot, and the seeker tracks s heat signature.

See I'm thinking your standard Russian SA-7, SA-14, SA-16, or SA-18. IFF is meaningless for them. Its aim and shoot, and the seeker tracks s heat signature.
But the topic was equipping Ukraine's new helicopters with IFF so that the UAF won't shoot them down. In that context why do you suggest that IFF won't be useful since the MANPADS used by the UAF don't have IFF, when at least those MANPADS supplied by NATO are thus equipped?

As pointed out in the discussion upthread, MANPADs generally don't have IFF receivers.

You may disagree, A Admiral Beez , but the discussion starting here. Maybe refresh your memory of that convo? I mean, you were posting right in the middle of it.

Not all are Ukrainian MANPADs are so-equipped.

Because I missed the context of that part of the conversation. Happy?

You may disagree, A Admiral Beez , but the discussion starting here. Maybe refresh your memory of that convo? I mean, you were posting right in the middle of it.
I'm referring to this chat, where I said that Ukraine's new US supplied helicopters need IFF. I appreciate your clarifying your post, as I couldn't follow. As for suggestions of insulting your intelligence - goodness, don't look to internet discussion forums for affirmation of your intellect either way.

Kyiv needs Iron Dome, Patriots or some equivalent anti missile system. I was hoping, overly optimistically it seems, that the capital would already have some degree of counter missile capability by now.

I'm referring to this chat, where I said that Ukraine's new US supplied helicopters need IFF.

Yes, I understand that. Did you read the part of that conversation where compatibility was discussed?

I appreciate your clarifying your post, as I couldn't follow. As for suggestions of insulting your intelligence - goodness, don't look to internet discussion forums for affirmation of your intellect either way.

I have no idea where this is coming from, as I didn't suggest or imply that my intelligence was insulted.

As for your advice, while your concern is appreciated, your advice is pretty unnecessary. Thanks anyway.
Interesting - from what I've read it's standard kit. I wonder if that's because NATO kept the latest versions for themselves?

The issue is compatibility. NATO transponders likely cannot interrogate many of the Ukrainian sets. Whether these helicopters have been refitted -- they've been in US possession for a while -- is unknown to me, but they still may be incompatible with some of the systems being donated. That's worse than no transponder at all, because it's still extra weight the grunt has to carry.

Users who are viewing this thread