"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (4 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

If Ukraine is using Su-25's then the A-10 is a step up. I base this on my research on the "Growling Sidewinder" channel's A-10 videos.

The A-10 has a better design (engines above and partially shielded by twin tail-plates, which also provide redundancy), carries more weaponry, and has more armor. Roughly the same performance. Better avionics on the A-10 as well, not to mention the brrrrt factor.

The A-10 has a better design (engines above and partially shielded by twin tail-plates, which also provide redundancy), carries more weaponry, and has more armor. Roughly the same performance. Better avionics on the A-10 as well, not to mention the brrrrt factor.
And in the current situation, more M&R capabilities and larger stock of spares, I assume. Ukrainian industry struggled to modify and upgrade the small fleet of Su-25 since 2014, I don't think that situation is better now.

Sorry, maintenance and repair. From my days in the shipping industry.

No sweat, just had no clue myself, thanks. I would imagine that M&R would bite even deeper on A-10s, then? Aside from maintenance-crew unfamiliarity, the fact that this gasket is SAE and not metric, or this bolt is 5/8" and not 13mm would probably be a maintenance headache.

But the SU-25 has one advantage…. it's in service and readily available to the UAF. Our chatter on the A-10 on the other hand is purely hypothetical.

But the SU-25 has one advantage…. it's in service and readily available to the UAF. Our chatter on the A-10 on the other hand is purely hypothetical.

Right, but the prospect has been floated publicly by the higher levels of NSC, the USAF desperately wants rid of the aircraft (and this will give them that off-ramp/fig-leaf), the Ukrainians apparently already have a few pilots trained on it, and this war will last longer than the training cycle, I suspect, meaning more Ukrainian pilots can be trained in the interim. We're apparently already training Ukrainian pilots on F-15s and -16s as well (top-cover?), which implies to me that this may well be a future tranche of aid to be announced.

Do it ASAP. The early bird gets the worm.

I know we are all talking about the A10, and in an ideal world the USA would be giving them to Ukraine as as tough bomb truck its unbeatable. But in the cold light of day logistics is going to be a significant factor.
With that in mind I hope the concentrated effort will go on the F16. Its a very capable fighter and GA aircraft. There are probably hundreds sitting in the desert which can be brought back into service at little cost and they have been used by many countries around the world so access to spares should be easier. Also there are many countries who will be able to train the Ukraine air and ground crews.

No doubt the F15 is a better fighter and the A10 a better GA aircraft, but the F16 can do it all, and one type is a lot easier to support. In particular a single engine type

Apropos of nothing (except it concerns the A-10), an enlargement of a section of photo by Peter Steehouwer - look carefully :shock::

A-10C kill marks.jpg

Sorry to interrupt this A-10 thread but this caught my eye this morning. There's some shit going to hit the fan methinks.

Italian newspaper la Repubblica reported last week that Italian authorities had seized a U.S.-made, Russia-bound drone shipment. ....

The Americans were sufficiently spooked that an FBI team immediately flew from Washington to Gioia Tauro, la Repubblica reports.

The Canadian connection is that the newspaper reported the containers arrived from Canada.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back