"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (3 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Accidents are the leading cause of death in this demographic. Any speculation is just tinfoil hat conspiracy theories.

It may well be a case of drive 100 tanks in one end, clean them up, then drive them out the other end and say they are new.
As far as I know, all existing T-90 variants were planned to be modernized to T-90M from 2020 to 2025. Deliveries and orders of modernized T-90M continue through 2022 despite economic sanctions. Probably most, if not all, of those 100 tanks are older T90 versions updated to T-90M standard.

i tend to agree with you - assymetrical deployment of airbrake is most probable cause of this. During development of Su25 they have tested such thing for boosting aircraft control. Test has been conducted on high celling but response was so violent that test pilot refused to do it once more time and the test have been never repeated again.

Then .... and now ...

Interesting "talking head" clip from Russian television. Clearly some soul-searching going on about how to proceed:

I particularly like the dig at the Andrey Turchak's comments while visiting Kharkiv that Russia will be there "forever."

I also note the guy, who steadfastly refuses to be interrupted, talks of mass mobilization pulling people out of factories to go to "war," not to "the special military operation."

The comments about peace negotiations by Lavrov are interesting. Putting on my "eternal optimist" hat, I'm wondering if renewed negotiations between Kyiv and Moscow might give Russia a way out of this debacle. If Russia can secure political assurances from Kyiv to improve the way in which Russian-leaning people in eastern Ukraine are being treated, then Moscow can claim to have achieved its goals. There might just be the vaguest glimmer of hope for a political situation right now.

Think about it...the Azov Battalion was destroyed at Mariupol so Moscow can claim to have "de-nazified" Ukraine's military. Assurances about better treatment of pro-Russian people in the east will address causal factors for the fighting there. Such agreements could enable a ceasefire to be brokered and for Russian forces to withdraw.

Now....removing the "eternal optimist" hat, I'm not naiive enough to think this will happen quickly. Such agreements would still leave Russia in control of Crimea which Ukraine won't want. Also, any negotiated withdrawal by Russia, despite whatever positive spin Moscow puts on it, will be seen as a humiliating defeat, with the big, bad bear backing down in the face of a much smaller adversary.

However, Ukrainian offensive successes have changed the context of the war and Moscow is under increasing pressure to either win decisively or find a way out. They can't order a general mobilization because they simply lack the resources to train and equip such a large force....plus it would take months before any decent forces could be sent into Ukraine. Other than nukes, there aren't many other good options on the table to bring about a Russian victory...and if you can't win, the best you can hope for is some sort of negotiated settlement that at least allows you to save face. At worst, it will be an all-out defeat which could cause Russia itself to implode, much as it did after the break-up of the Soviet Union.

Last edited:
If Rusia lacks the resources to train and equip a large force (it must have some true if they are telling that in TV prime time), maybe the western sanctions are biting harder than is acknowedged publicly. Just saying.

At worst, it will be an all-out defeat which could cause Russia itself to implode, much as it did after the break-up of the Soviet Union.

Even without calamitous defeat, I suspect Putin's days are numbered.

Not that his replacement will be any better, in all likelihood. But even if the Russians win militarily, which I highly doubt, they will still be stuck in the trap and Putin's stature will still be sliding. I think a palace coup would be very likely under those circumstances, and that he might be better off biting the bullet now.

Of course, the Ukrainians are wanting to give him many more bullets to bite now that they're moving forward, so I'm unsure whether an agreement can be reached.

Users who are viewing this thread