"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nothing wrong with waterproof rubber boots in winter, provided you're wearing thick fleece and woollen kit underneath. Though marching in such a ridged tall boot may cause some discomfort. Here's my winter boot, essentially a farmer's Welly, but rated to -40'F/C. And my preferred sock.

I hope the Ukrainians are thusly equipped. The Russian's OTOH can freeze.

Yeah. I didn't see much in the way of fleecy goodness in there!

Nothing wrong with waterproof rubber boots in winter, provided you're wearing thick fleece and woollen kit underneath. Though marching in such a ridged tall boot may cause some discomfort. Here's my winter boot, essentially a farmer's Welly, but rated to -40'F/C. And my preferred sock.

I hope the Ukrainians are thusly equipped. The Russian's OTOH can freeze.
The Marines around the Chosin Reservoir found the same thing. Many Chinese were equipped with only canvas-topped tennis shoes (!) and suffered frostbitten & frozen feet. Most Marines were issued "Shoe Packs", the things we called "'mousers" in Germany; short for Mickey Mouse boots. They were rubber outside with wool felt insulation. They were far warmer than GI issue leather combat boots.

The Marines around the Chosin Reservoir found the same thing. Many Chinese were equipped with only canvas-topped tennis shoes (!) and suffered frostbitten & frozen feet. Most Marines were issued "Shoe Packs", the things we called "'mousers" in Germany; short for Mickey Mouse boots. They were rubber outside with wool felt insulation. They were far warmer than GI issue leather combat boots.

We called those "bunny boots" when I was in the USAF. They were in the Arctic bag we had set aside for our Prime BEEF deployments. I never had occasion to wear them operationally, but we did deploy with that Arctic bag to Spain in August for Desert Shield, in a classic case of military planning.

The Suchomimus channel on YT just did a video on this. I like the idea of sending 100,000 "ATACMS Lite" to Ukraine instead of trashing the rockets. Go Boeing!

Yeah. I didn't see much in the way of fleecy goodness in there!
I'm no expert about their rubber boots and I didn't get to see or read some of the information you are referring to so forgive me if I go about this wrong. About those Mickey Mouse boots, I've had to wear those while I was in Korea. They do keep your feet warm. As for the Russians, they use what looks like a black felt boot. I haven't heard if they put rubber boots over them but they do keep feet warm. I wore a pair during one of my visits to Russia some time ago during new year celebration.

Interesting assessment on the impact of winter on operations in Ukraine:

His blog has a LOT of material...plenty to dig through for those so inclined.

Last edited:
The Suchomimus channel on YT just did a video on this. I like the idea of sending 100,000 "ATACMS Lite" to Ukraine instead of trashing the rockets. Go Boeing!
This war in Ukraine has presented an excellent opportunity for the West to use its soon to expire arms in reducing Russia to bit player status, all whilst not costing the West a single soldier.

We called those "bunny boots" when I was in the USAF. They were in the Arctic bag we had set aside for our Prime BEEF deployments. I never had occasion to wear them operationally, but we did deploy with that Arctic bag to Spain in August for Desert Shield, in a classic case of military planning.
Torrejón? Sh*y then! An awful wheather to wore them in August for sure!

Looks like the T-62 is entering Ukrainian service with aplomb, where they will provide fine fire support for infantry units.

I wonder if the T-62 is more survivable from penetration hits since there's no carousel of ammunition below the turret. Of course if the T-72 is more resistant to penetration in the first place you'll survive longer. This video gives some insight.

And just for interest, a vid on the crisis facing Russia's tank army.

This war in Ukraine has presented an excellent opportunity for the West to use its soon to expire arms in reducing Russia to bit player status, all whilst not costing the West a single soldier.
There have been so many appeasers crying out that we're depleting our stocks. Who were these weapons intended to fight? Western military equipment sent to Ukraine is delivering the most bang for the buck. No NATO troops involved as this equipment eliminates the conventional threat posed by the Czar. From a pure cold, callous hearted view, it's almost like the weapons are "autonomous". They're sent to Ukraine and Russian forces are destroyed without our guys being in danger.
Boeings GLSDBs might be a game changer. A butt-ton of these things on USN ships and on Taiwan, China has far greater air defense problems for their growing navy.
And we were just going to throw them away.

Boeings GLSDBs might be a game changer.
Agreed.

If GLSDBs are being reported on now, then I assume Ukraine already has the weapons. Same as the ATACMS.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back