"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (3 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

What do we expect the Ukrainian Air Force to look like by early summer 2023? The fleet of MiG-29s must be wearing out, but we're years away from F-16s or Gripens.

Meanwhile, some news for the Russians. If only in penny packets.

And how quickly do think the Russians are going to be able to build these in quantity?

What do we expect the Ukrainian Air Force to look like by early summer 2023? The fleet of MiG-29s must be wearing out, but we're years away from F-16s or Gripens.

Meanwhile, some news for the Russians. If only in penny packets.

Four or five of these ... only stealthy from the front, only a few flying. When you think about it, they're really throwing prototypes into combat. What might that say? Looks to me like eating seedcorn.

I think Ukrainians will be flying F-16s in a couple of years, tops. I doubt there will be any Su-57s flying at that time.

The SU-57 doesn't come anywhere near the latest US planes and can't while the production systems are
still at 1990's levels. The manufacturing equipment used for the F-35 is decades ahead of any other countries
and the production capability is as well.

Tolerances for the F-35 panels are milled so close they can fit together without any special radar absorbing
epoxy - that is with tolerances down to 1/10000th of an inch.

F-35's are currently being produced at around 140 a year but more recent development will increase that
significantly. One newer process is already giving the front fuselage section a production rate of 20 per month.

Russian manufacturing of the SU-57 is expected to deliver another 22 planes by the end of 2024.

2024 is a ways off at the moment but should Ukraine continue the way it is and get to the stage where the F-35
becomes an option for them Russian air capability will not hope to match it.

WWII tanks are a favourite of mine and there is always the argument of superior vs production.
Of course that means the German big cats as opposed to the T-34 and Sherman. When it comes to
the F-35 vs the rest Lockheed Martin have a platform which can be produced at a much higher rate (Sherman)
while at the same time being significantly superior (Pussy cats) to everything else.

I hope to see Ukraine with this kind of capability in coming years as their future security is a long term game.

That's the SU-57 thoroughly binned, but what of my question above? What do we expect the Ukrainian Air Force to look like by early summer 2023? By then the AFU offensives to take Crimea et al will be well underway.

Last edited:
That's the SU-57 thoroughly binned, but what of my question above? What do we expect the Ukrainian Air Force to look like by early summer 2023? By then the AFU offensives to take Crimea et al will be well underway.
No different to today. Unless they already have crews training to fly/maintain newer types and it is all being kept hush hush, there will be no new types entering service in the coming months.

No different to today. Unless they already have crews training to fly/maintain newer types and it is all being kept hush hush, there will be no new types entering service in the coming months.
I did read that the British will be sending three Sea Kings. This would be the first western manned aircraft provided to the AFU since the beginning of the war. It's not the Apaches they've asked for, but it's a start.

I wonder if they're optimized for ASW or stripped out to Commando spec.

Ukrainian forces reportedly reached the east (left) bank of the Dnipro River across from Kherson City. The Ukrainian "Carlson" volunteer special air intelligence unit posted footage on December 3 of Ukrainian servicemen traversing the Dnipro River in boats, reaching a wooden marina-like structure on the east bank, and raising a Ukrainian flag on a tower toward near the shore.[1] Special Unit "Carlson" reported that this is the first instance of a Ukrainian flag flying over the east bank of the Dnipro River and emphasized this operation will provide a springboard for subsequent Ukrainian operations on the east bank.[2] If confirmed, this limited Ukrainian incursion onto the east bank could open avenues for Ukrainian forces to begin to operate on the east bank. As ISW has previously reported, observed Russian fortifications on the left bank indicate Russian forces are anticipating Ukrainian offensive actions on the east bank and have been constructing defensive lines south of the Dnipro River.[3] The establishment of positions along the eastern riverbank will likely set conditions for future Ukrainian offensive operations into occupied Kherson Oblast, if Ukrainian troops choose to pursue this line of advance in the south.

I wonder what Beijing thinks as it eyes Taiwan for its own special operation.

"80 miles of salt-water and a mountainous island on the other side" is my guess. Missiles (of which China has a metric butt-ton) can do a lot, but difficult terrain reduces effectiveness, and there's no replacement for soldiers on the ground.

I myself wonder what lessons Taiwan is picking up from this David-kicking-Goliath's-ass example. Maybe "hunker down, shoot down missiles, and zero in on the beaches"?

And just as important, what does Beijing see in terms of international response? A Chinese invasion of Taiwan would certainly disrupt their own economy. Xi too is relying upon a swelling economy to secure his place in power.

I expect the West's united response and its enthusiasm for killing Russians, demonstrably neutering Moscow's nuclear deterrence, is giving Xi pause.

Xi wants to use Russia's Ukraine invasion in order to catapult his own country higher. He doesn't, however, want to repeat Russia's mistakes. That's why the sanctions matter.

I suspect that the longer the war goes in Ukraine, the happier Xi will be. I don't think he will squander that advantage with a military invasion of Taiwan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back