"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Patriots aside, is there any update to providing Western MBTs or combat aircraft? I expect a lot of that latest money goes to procuring ammunition, maintenance and spares for existing systems like HIMARs and SPGs.

Patriots aside, is there any update to providing Western MBTs or combat aircraft? I expect a lot of that latest money goes to procuring ammunition, maintenance and spares for existing systems like HIMARs and SPGs.

Not that I've heard, and only one Patriot battery is being sent -- four vehicles, 16 missiles. The gist I've read is that this may loosen up reservations against other high-tech stuff, but I'll wait 'til the eggs hatch before counting chickens.

re additional Patriot systems.

Something that is often overlooked is that this war is not a 'conventional' or traditional type of US war. There are a lot of unknowns on all sides.

The US/NATO deployed HIMARS/MLRS to Ukraine slowly at first partly due to the time needed for training, but also partly due to the unknown of whether the systems would survive long enough to be useful (as opposed to "Hey look at that, they fired one load and got taken out by Russian counter-battery or air strike. Hmmm, boy it sure seemed like a good idea".)

The Patriot system is going to have the same potential problems to be dealt with. Even if we are willing to send a large number of systems, the US/NATO higher-ups will want to be sure they will be sustainable/survivable. And that is ignoring the problem of information/intel the Russians will gather on the Patriot system capabilities once it starts being used operationally - in effect the Russians will be able to 'test' the Patriot system to a significant degree and have the chance to develop work-around tactics and possibly sophisticated electronic countermeasures.

We will send more Patriot systems if it proves survivable, effective, and needed - just as with the HIMARS/MLRS.

re additional Patriot systems.

Something that is often overlooked is that this war is not a 'conventional' or traditional type of US war. There are a lot of unknowns on all sides.

The US/NATO deployed HIMARS/MLRS to Ukraine slowly at first partly due to the time needed for training, but also partly due to the unknown of whether the systems would survive long enough to be useful (as opposed to "Hey look at that, they fired one load and got taken out by Russian counter-battery or air strike. Hmmm, boy it sure seemed like a good idea".)

The Patriot system is going to have the same potential problems to be dealt with. Even if we are willing to send a large number of systems, the US/NATO higher-ups will want to be sure they will be sustainable/survivable. And that is ignoring the problem of information/intel the Russians will gather on the Patriot system capabilities once it starts being used operationally - in effect the Russians will be able to 'test' the Patriot system to a significant degree and have the chance to develop work-around tactics and possibly sophisticated electronic countermeasures.

We will send more Patriot systems if it proves survivable, effective, and needed - just as with the HIMARS/MLRS.

I have been watching Twitter die and be replaced by Mastodon on other forums but have yet to see a Mastodon post here.

This surprises me seeing that Musk wants Ukraine to give Crimea and the other four territories to the Poo-tin.

Mastodon is becoming so mainstream that even the Washington Post has a new article, A guide to getting started with Twitter alternative Mastodon.

And Time has a very interesting take on Musk at The Clarifying Moment Elon Musk Has Given Us

Musk is a twatwaffle extraordinaire.

You know, previous US policy toward Ukrainian air defense could be encapsulated in the title of Tom Clancy's second novel in the John Patrick Ryan series, Patriot Games. Thank God that's over at last! "Running out the clock", as we've been doing is downright shameful.

Mastodon is becoming so mainstream that even the Washington Post has a new article, A guide to getting started with Twitter alternative Mastodon.
The Washington Post is owned by Bezos. He hates Musk and will print anything to disparage him. I tried Mastodon, but as far as I could see you had to choose areas of interest and assign yourself to different silos. I don't think Mastodon is the threat to Twitter that Bezo Inc. suggests it may be. Always ask why is this being reported, in addition to what.

Shrug. I happily nuked my bird account and moved to the extinct mammut.

I find it quite easy to do what I want to there and they have no toleration for those out to lie and deceive for any reason. I follow about 90% of the same ones I followed at the bird place.

Of course, my biggest interest is in posting my landscape photography so there is that. :cool:

Merry Christmas!
IMG_20221224_185709_310.jpg

You know, previous US policy toward Ukrainian air defense could be encapsulated in the title of Tom Clancy's second novel in the John Patrick Ryan series, Patriot Games. Thank God that's over at last! "Running out the clock", as we've been doing is downright shameful.

I think it's more a matter of us playing solid D, to extend the football metaphor. By feeding in equipment and supplies, we've forced the Russians to try running out the clock with their attacks on infrastructure and civilians because they know they cannot win with offense. They're trying to wear down the defenders.

I agree with your gist that we should simply open up the cabinet and offer what's inside to put this war to bed quickly, though. You'd think we would have learnt from Vietnam that gradually increasing pressure only allows the other side to adapt and perhaps overcome.

I'd love to see a Ukrainian spring offensive armed with MLRS/modern howitzers, ideally tanks (but I doubt that will happen in this timeframe), and covered by Patriots and F-16s. Those mofos would know what to do with the kit! A Admiral Beez is right, we need to get off our duffs and get Ukraine modern MBTs to make the most of the synergy that comes with the other weapons we've provided. These things were designed and built as a complete toolkit. Don't give 'em a Phillips-head one week, a ratchet set the next, etc. They need to understand how to integrate it all.

ETA: don't forget the Warthogs!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back