"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (16 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I was 23. My wife was 21. We got married 5 months prior (and only 2 months after getting home from my other deployment).

On the other hand, I had "no deeds to do, no promises to keep." Without an attachment at home, it was fun, until the 21-hour days hit. I liked and volunteered for Prime BEEF duty.

I can understand why a family man might disagree. :)

Even if the thus far surviving Ukrainian pilots are experienced with the MiG-29 in a CAP role would they necessarily be able to identify and accurately strike ground targets? Seems akin to asking a F-22 pilot to swap to an A-10.
They can. They can also work in coordination with bomb carrying aircraft. Remember, there are many Russian aircraft in Ukrainian airspace, making it harder for the Russians to support their troops will make it that much easier on the outnumbered Ukrainian forces. I'm not sure how the Polish MiG-29s are configured, but the way the Ukraine forces have been fighting, I'm sure they'll make good use of what ever they can get. I'm sure J J_P_C can give some good insight on how Polish MiG-29s are configured.

Last edited:
On the other hand, I had "no deeds to do, no promises to keep." Without an attachment at home, it was fun, until the 21-hour days hit. I liked and volunteered for Prime BEEF duty.

I can understand why a family man might disagree. :)

I went off to Kosovo on a NATO peace keeping mission for 10 months, came home for 5 months (during which I got married, spent a month at Primary Leadership Development Course (PLDC), spent a month in the field training, and a month at the range re-qualifying and practicing door gunnery) and then flew off to Iraq for a year. I felt burnt out.

Don't take me wrong. I made the best of it, and I will always cherish the brotherhood and camaraderie, but overall that was 22 months of suck.

I went off to Kosovo on a NATO peace keeping mission for 10 months, came home for 5 months (during which I got married, spent a month at Primary Leadership Development Course (PLDC), spent a month in the field training, and a month at the range re-qualifying and practicing door gunnery) and then flew off to Iraq for a year. I felt burnt out.

Don't take me wrong. I made the best of it, and I will always cherish the brotherhood and camaraderie, but overall that was 22 months of suck.

I ain't taking you wrong, brotha, and I sure respect your service.

I had the luxury of a girlfriend back home while I was off gallivanting. Different thang.

I'm following this situation very closely.
My daughter works as a scheduler for a organisation called Mercy Chefs, they feed first responders , and victims, at floods and other disasters.
I didn't think they had ever deployed internationally , but they now have people in Poland, or Romania, or both.
They co-ordinate with local churches, in the areas where they deploy.

She is wanting to go, and her 21 year old daughter. The arrangements will take at least over a week or more , I hope.
I know how she feels, I felt the same need a 50+ years ago.
Sometimes you can't just stand by and watch.

I advised her, right now Romania, and Poland seems safe, and the refugees will probably be there for quite some time even after whatever happens in the Ukraine, happens.
But if things go bad, they'll go very bad, very fast.

Maybe I'm about to get a better understanding of what my parents went through when I was in Vietnam.

Once again, I'm reminded that I was very lucky to be a cold war only soldier. My M-60A3 TTS tank in Germany never had to do it's mission, I trained for years later in the guard and reserves and even when Gulf One came up we weren't called up and I spent it at the BN S2 level Intel Analyst school at Ft Huachuca instead.

They did cut me orders for Kosovo but rescinded them when it was realized I was too short and that with my 2 permanent profiles (back and knee injuries) I wasn't going to be re-enlisting any more.

I'm glad I was there, I'm glad I got to enjoy the fun parts but equally I'm glad it never came down to it for real for me.

I'm following this situation very closely.
My daughter works as a scheduler for a organisation called Mercy Chefs, they feed first responders , and victims, at floods and other disasters.
I didn't think they had ever deployed internationally , but they now have people in Poland, or Romania, or both.
They co-ordinate with local churches, in the areas where they deploy.

She is wanting to go, and her 21 year old daughter. The arrangements will take at least over a week or more , I hope.
I know how she feels, I felt the same need a 50+ years ago.
Sometimes you can't just stand by and watch.

I advised her, right now Romania, and Poland seems safe, and the refugees will probably be there for quite some time even after whatever happens in the Ukraine, happens.
But if things go bad, they'll go very bad, very fast.

Maybe I'm about to get a better understanding of what my parents went through when I was in Vietnam.

May she be well and do good work. We never stop worrying, do we?

Saw that and we had this discussion the other day - right now Poland has a sizeable F-35 order coming. If it was a perfect world it would be great to peel their aircraft off the current production line and hand them over, but for a number of reasons previously explained, I really doubt that's going to happen. Now what I think is do-able is possibly sending them some newer F-16s that might be temporally stored at Davis Monthan or deploying a National Guard unit to Poland to support this "gap" until dedicated F-16 can be loaned to Poland until their F-35 order comes in. In either case this will be a time consuming process unless a lot of red tape can be cut, but the biggest time consumer I see is properly configuring the aircraft to meet Poland's needs.
one of my friend in US send me message that both of this thing will be done - a wing of F15 will be assigned as a temporary boost of air defence of Poland and meanwhile used F16 will be refurbished for PAF - i hope will be rised to the V standard as well but who knows

They can. They can also work in coordination with bomb carrying aircraft. Remember, there are many Russian aircraft in Ukrainian airspace, making it harder for the Russians to support their troops will make it that much easier on the outnumbered Ukrainian forces. I'm not sure how the Polish MiG-29s are configured, but the way the Ukraine forces have been fighting, I'm sure they'll make good use of what ever they can get. I'm sure J J_P_C can give some good insight on how Polish MiG-29s are configured.
this are pretty much standard early 9.12 series machines with modificatiions added to the communication gear and IFF system to make this airplane more NATO compatible. except medium raenge R27 missiles (very few left on stock), it may carry R73 - very effective one, working with helmet mounted sights. for the A/G weapon except ex soviet stuff may be transferred couple polish made - mainly thermobaric bombs, cluster bombs and mine laying containers similar in function to MW1 designed for Tornado.

FNPkuaRX0AMFnTh.j[g.jpg

Phillips O'Brien, a professor of strategic studies at the University of St Andrews has noted that Russia's takeover of the Ukraine is stalling, with a key weakness likely being a lack of trucks to transport supplies to forces on the ground.

"So they have certain very fancy pieces of equipment, what they lack is the ability to operate the complex operations needed to utilise those,"

"There was far too much obsession with weapons and numbers of weapons, and not looking at the fundamentals of military power on which the campaign would be waged, and that's a general problem," said the author of How the War was Won.

When you remember I think it was General Zhukov who once observed that the most valuable piece of Lend Lease, was the trucks supplied by the USA. It makes you believe that lessons were not learned.

In my opinion, their primary task would be air defence. As of today, RF's ground offensive stalled in most places and they switched to missile launches from different platforms. The last raid on Vinnytsia was done from the Black Sea, most probably. 8 cruise missiles.

Last edited:
this are pretty much standard early 9.12 series machines with modificatiions added to the communication gear and IFF system to make this airplane more NATO compatible. except medium raenge R27 missiles (very few left on stock), it may carry R73 - very effective one, working with helmet mounted sights. for the A/G weapon except ex soviet stuff may be transferred couple polish made - mainly thermobaric bombs, cluster bombs and mine laying containers similar in function to MW1 designed for Tornado.
Can they be effective against low flying cruise missiles, what do you think?

This map can be considered as over-optimistic on the 11th day of the invasion and after all news headlines... But probably it gives a more realistic picture than Kremlin's briefings.
Source:

photo_2022-03-06_22-55-40.jpg

FAFA3965-19AA-4C54-955C-C29045E37A76.jpeg

All this not just because of my great personal sympathy to Ukraine but also because i strongly believe that it is best we can do for Europe and the world. We may not allow Russia to became superpower. Marshal Pilsudski clearly expressed opinion that for Russia Ukraine is necessary factor for superpower status. Im not biggest fan of Marshal but i think he has been right in this matter.
Agree wholeheartedly. In the history of the Russian Civil War, there is a famous quote that can be translated as "even with the devil but against the Bolsheviks". It is attributed to different persons as Pyotr Wrangel, Pyotr Krasnov, Andrei Shkuro and also to Marshal Pilsudski.
East/Central Europe is a bit luckier today as we need no "devil" to be allied with. Just react fast and decisively, help your (de-jure and de-facto) allies. Stand for your values, - against new "bolsheviks" or whatever they are called today.

Dimlee Dimlee the red lines are the roads actually ocupied by RF?

I mean, they don't control the terrain outside them?
Yes, that is exactly the point. They don't have enough troops to control the terrain and villages and small towns of no strategic value.

One of my business acquaintances operates a factory in the south. RF's units arrived 2 days after the Ukrainian force has left. Entered the office and declared they will set up their base on the territory. All factory personnel refused to cooperate and went home. A few hours later, Russian units left the factory and the town and headed north, leaving no troops in that area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back