"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (4 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I already said here that the war will be over when Russia runs out of t-34's :silly:

On a side note, those 100 Leo 1 that Ukraine is expected to receive will have something to shoot at.

A post I made at another forum regarding the upcoming Ukrainian offensive. As noted, it's pretty speculative, and also as noted, comments and critiques are welcomed. What do y'all think?

The other thing is this: urban battles have a way of sucking in resources, be those resources men, ammo, or food. Because of the ongoing struggle for Bakhmut, I'd be willing to bet a good proportion of Russian logistic ability -- shaky even before it got shredded last year -- is tied up supplying the forces (ISW's estimate today, most of three divisions) assaulting the city. Prigozhin has already been complaining loudly for weeks now about ammo shortages.

Three conclusions, and perhaps others, I'm all ears, could possibly be drawn from that group of facts: 1) the Russians are truly running short on ammo and other supplies; 2) the Russian logistics train is overworked, meaning that they probably want to or already are bringing more transport assets to bear for the fighting units; and 3) that the Russians may (stress may) be pulling troops from the flanks in order to keep up the pressure on the city.

In that context, a Ukrainian drive to the south could (again, stressing could) face: 1) a southern front more weakly manned and more poorly supplied; 2) Russian forces stripped of logistical transport in order to support the eastern battle; and/or 3) Russian forces short of ammo that has been sent to Bakhmut.

If the above speculation -- and that's all it is, speculation -- holds true in one or more of the possibilities, this may be the Ukrainians preparing the conditions for an offensive a la Operation Uranus that the Russians pulled on the Germans at Stalingrad: suck the Russians into Bakhmut, force them to commit reserves into the cauldron, running low on supplies and experiencing transport difficulties, and then hit them on the flanks for envelopment.

Or the Ukrainians could simply, as noted above, hit the coast and from there decide to wheel north to roll up the eastern front, or wheel south and liberate Crimea. That has the advantage of simplicity.

Again, this is all speculation on my part, putting together pieces I've read both in current news and readings of history. But I'd be willing to bet that this has been at the least considered by the Ukrainian general staff, even if they've since decided on different operational plans.

Comments and critique welcome from all.
.. throughout, the Russians have demonstrated that the lessons hard-learned in Barbarossa have been forgotten. Putin was a terrible student of history.
I agree ... what I see is Uranus all over again . Where are the Italians and Romanians of December '42, today ...? That's where the ball will roll.
:salute:

... that is most interesting. Why do you think that such a 'Balance Sheet" was released now. Such vulnerability .... is this a picture for the West to see Russian escalation .. and do more?
But the government is perceived as transparent in this country and THIS info seems transparent, no?
Care to spec on possible motive for this? :salute:
Well, they undoubtedly considered this information as classified before. There were always speculations about the difficulties of ballistic missile interceptions, but military officials avoided details. 2-3 months ago they began to talk more openly. Maybe you are right, and this is another way to "push" the West to provide more air defence systems.

New Zealander lost his life in the defence of Ukraine.
Just 10 days earlier he helped to save his buddy. Heartbreaking.

View: https://www.facebook.com/kane.tetai/posts/pfbid0MceKpSLjqBR9AiSEDtxBy9ocVRnXFpc9x77Qk5HWE9nfL3h2qV2SX18mEuQ9eyDYl
Thank you for your service, Kane Te Tai.

... that is most interesting. Why do you think that such a 'Balance Sheet" was released now. Such vulnerability .... is this a picture for the West to see Russian escalation .. and do more?
But the government is perceived as transparent in this country and THIS info seems transparent, no?
Care to spec on possible motive for this? :salute:
It is also possible that Ukraine has upgraded their air defense system and that list is no longer sensitive information.

This might also be baiting the Russians into using the few remeining missiles listed as being "hard to intercept" before a renewed offensive - especially if they have an improved system that will intercept the type.

Going back to the t54/55.

I'm wondering if Bradleys, CV90s and AMX-10s are good enough to deal with them easily.
The M60A3 would be a good candidate to counter older Soviet armor. It was used with good success against Iraqi T-72s, even.

The Ukrainian Army will soon be familiar with the M60 anyway, as they will be receiving the M60-AVLB (mobile bridge).

The M60A3 would be a good candidate to counter older Soviet armor. It was used with good success against Iraqi T-72s, even.

The Ukrainian Army will soon be familiar with the M60 anyway, as they will be receiving the M60-AVLB (mobile bridge).
Are they also getting a number of M88s? They should be mechanically somewhat similar, too

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back