"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (5 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

SEOUL, April 19 (Reuters) - South Korea might extend its support for Ukraine beyond humanitarian and economic aid if it comes under a large-scale civilian attack, President Yoon Suk Yeol said, signalling a shift in his stance against arming Ukraine for the first time.

In an interview with Reuters ahead of his state visit to the U.S. next week, Yoon said his government has been exploring how to help defend and rebuild Ukraine, just as South Korea received international assistance during the 1950-53 Korean War.

"If there is a situation the international community cannot condone, such as any large-scale attack on civilians, massacre or serious violation of the laws of war, it might be difficult for us to insist only on humanitarian or financial support," Yoon said.

As if that hasn't already happened ... how difficult is this?

Really? Seoul will help "IF [Ukraine] comes under large-scale civilian attack." Have the South Koreans not been paying attention?

I'd have thought the extensive efforts by Russia to neutralize Ukraine's power grid alone quantifies as "large-scale civilian attack," and that's before we consider all the other various missiles, drones and artillery shells that Russia has expended on entirely civilian targets.

What am I missing here?

Right! I didn't know there was one single rock on Earth which an entire country could hide under, to be so deficient of facts -- facts -- on the ground.

There's some serious tap-dancing -- and likely some serious back-channel pressure -- going on here. I must appreciate his recognition of how the world in 1950 came together to salve his own nation got mention. Perhaps he got a reminder.

Last edited:
D Denniss , Back in Iran - Iraq war, Iranian Navy and Marines, have stopped and captured multiple ships with ammo / weapons cargo from Russia to Iraq. The Armed guards were either from Soviet Navy or Spetznatz. They were several clashes, but in all cases, we were victorious, and even managed to take some POW. Last of them was released in 1992.

My guess is same as what happened back then.

With those armed military guards they could and should be considered military ships. Are those normally permitted to enter other's national waters without asking for permission?

Do not mix:
The territorial sea, up to 12 nm from shore, where a country has sovereignty.
Exclusive economic zone, from 12 nm up to 200 nm from shore, where a country can exploit economic resources, e.g. windmills, but has no sovereignty.

Some of those ships might willingly be impounded as I imagine some of those crews might not want to go home.
Great truth.

I live in a northwestern África port city with plenty of fishing ships crewed by russians (and ukrainians) and a customer has plenty of problems cos the crews supposedly work on 6 months shifts but they reenlist and re-engage one shift with another.

Users who are viewing this thread