"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (6 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Bridge from above showing the damage
I am surprised at how robust this bridge is, or at how inadequate Ukraine's weapons are in this particular regard. Both bridges, the vehicular AND the rail bridge must be hit hard so that entire spans are destroyed. Otherwise these smaller attacks only temporarily have any impact before they are repaired.

This....

100754665.jpg

Not this...

2400.jpg

Whatever weapons Ukraine needs to make this happen, let's get it to them. ATACMS, TLAMs. MOWABs)? Go for it.

The blast was just stron enough to lift the bridge sections and let them fall back onto their support. One section was obviously flying higher and partially slid off their supports upon landing as if something broke away. They'll need something like Storm Shadow for more extensive damage.

Last edited:
What I really appreciate about this current Ukrainian offensive, is that there are pushes and nudges all across the board and the Russians are having to shuttle forces back and forth in an attempt to counter this.

Two takeaways from what I'm seeing:
First, it's keeping the Russians off-balance while consuming their precious resources.

Secondly, while pressure is being applied in one (or more) area(s), eyes are off Ukrainian element movements elsewhere. Which means the ability to conduct a buildup in strategic areas with little or no notice from Russian eyes.

I am still of the opinion that this current "offensive" is just a shell game, with the real fireworks soon to come.
I wonder if the Ukrainians studied Stonewall Jackson's Valley Campaign? :)

The purge of russian commanding officers is widening. Again Putin does not know or does not want to know history of its own country and learn from Stalins errors - he just repeats them.
I'm still waiting for Count von Stauffenburg...

I am surprised at how robust this bridge is, or at how inadequate Ukraine's weapons are in this particular regard. Both bridges, the vehicular AND the rail bridge must be hit hard so that entire spans are destroyed. Otherwise these smaller attacks only temporarily have any impact before they are repaired.

This....

View attachment 730202

Not this...

View attachment 730203

Whatever weapons Ukraine needs to make this happen, let's get it to them. ATACMS, TLAMs. MOWABs)? Go for it.
Even a minor attack on such important bridge leaves a lot of egg on Putin's face.

Even a minor attack on such important bridge leaves a lot of egg on Putin's face.
Agreed - and I'm not particularly surprised at the durable nature of the bridge. I'm not an engineer, but I used to work for an architectural practice which included a structural engineering group. We received a contract for a 6-lane overpass across a good-sized river. I commented to one of the P. Eng.'s about the massive scale of the structural elements. He said something to the effect of 'You can fit roughly 15 semis between each pair of piers. Times 6 lanes .... times 40 tons each. Oh, and it might be raining heavily... so factor in the weight of water that might be sitting there.... or 2 feet of wet snow. Oh yeah it might be windy..... so factor that in, too. Then multiply all of that by 3 or more , just to be safe'.........

Bridges are extremely difficult to drop at the best of times, nothing to do with Ukraine's weapons being inadequate, more the range of weapons in the inventory, ability to attack exactly where you need to hit and general construction of a bridge (not saying this bridge is badly made, although it may not be as strong as it could be). ATACMS may be the answer (with aerial bombing not really an option), however weapon placement has to be very exact....... with what they have they are actually doing a fairly good job at disrupting the bridge operations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back